• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender2FSX error messages

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
What is the full path of the directory or folder where the SDK is installed?

Have you tried to manually set the location of the Modeldef.xml file?

Last edited:
Country
ca-novascotia
Hello Doug,
the paths to my simulators and the SDKs are
D:\P3D4\
D:\P3D5\
D:\Programs\P3D4-SDK\
D:\Programs\P3D5-SDK\

As for manually setting the path, it depends what you refer to. I was unable to find the option to se the path within Blender (I am fairly new to it), and I also read somewhere that the option wouldn't work anymore. However, I tried to manipulate the Python code in Blender2FSXP3D and set the path there. The result was an error message of the form "you need to upgrade to version 2.8x", which I had seen before. When I first tried to use Blender2FSXP3D, I downloaded an older version of it, which generated this message. I then even tried to use it with Blender 2.8 and 2.8.3, but I always got that "upgrade to 2.8x" message with the older version. The current version of Blender2FSXP3D installs without error messages, I only click a single box and it is available. However, the export function doesn't find modeldef.xml.

Many thanks for your help,
Peter

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Ok... as you have found out, attempting to change the code is hard to do. The location of the modeldef.xml is what it's looking for and under normal circumstances, it is the default installations of both (P3D v4.5 and or v5.1). Hopefully, you have a backup of the original toolset somewhere.

Once you have reinstalled the toolset, within Blender, press the 'N' key. A side panel will appear. Click on the tab marked "P3D/FSX".

Once there, open the "P3D/FSX Toolset Settings" tab (see picture).

1_N-Panel.png
If I remember correctly, you will uncheck the "Auto Detect SDK" box and click on the "Manually Find ModelDef File". From there you will locate the file within your setup of the SDK you are creating for. For what you told me, "D:\Programs\P3D4-SDK\" and or "D:\Programs\P3D5-SDK\":

D:\..\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.5.14.34698\Modeling\3ds Max\bin
D:\..\Prepar3D v5 SDK 5.1.12.26829\Modeling\3ds Max\bin

That should do it!

Make sure you select the proper FS or sim at the "Select...".

Last edited:
Country
ca-novascotia
Hello Doug,

many thanks, you are a life saver, I got it to find the modeldef file :) As I said, I am new to Blender, and when I previously pushed the N key, I only saw the transform properties, overlooking the symbols to the right that enable you to access other tools.

I am still fighting with the export process, but for different reasons (material properties etc.). Its a learning curve, but I am getting there. Thank you so much, I spent weeks trying to get this to work.

Cheers,
Peter

Hello everyone.
I have a serious problem with which I have been struggling for a week.The problem is that while exporting from Blender to FSX I get an error:
AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\io_scene_fsx\export_fsx.py", line 341, in Export
spawnv(P_WAIT, XToMdl, ['XToMdl.exe', '/XANIM', '/DICT:"%s"' % modeldef, '"%s"' % (Util.ReplaceFileNameExt(self.Config.filepath, '.x'))])
OSError: [Errno 0] Error
I exported from Blender 2.79 because I started this project a few years ago and it is very complicated and advanced.
I also tried exporting from Blender 2.92 and I get the same error.
I am using Blender2FSXP3D (v0.9.4) - (ii) in Blender 2.79 and Blender2P3DFSX 0.98.21 in Blender 2.92.
The error shows up when exporting to FSX, P3Dv2 and P3Dv3.
Exporting P3Dv4 and above runs smoothly (unfortunately the model is not displayed in FSX).
The model I am working on has been divided into two parts. Each part is on its own layer.
One part has 222k vertices and over 450 objects and the other has 100k vertices and 53 objects.Both groups have 86 textures in total,including 5 in common.
One more note - the materials used in the project are not PBR but Specular
I exported each part separately and each passed without any problems,but when I try to export both layers together I get the error mentioned by me.
I suspect the problem is due to the known limit of vertices per material,so I manipulated the materials and textures,but it didn't do anything.
Of course,I searched the entire forum,but did not find a solution.
I will be very grateful for any advice.

With the best regards.
Kowal.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

Have you saved the blend file under different filenames for each SDK version? If you haven't , do so...

After changing the filename make sure to reintialize the SDK... this might need to be done multiple times and with the friendly name and QUID ID left empty.

you will then need to change the friendly name for each one and QUID ID.. Also, reintializing the SDK again.

The reintializing doesn't always succeed. Make sure to save under a different blend file for each SDK.

Yes,I saved as a new .blend file with a new name,new GUID and new Friendly Name. Unfortunately,it does not work.
But as I wrote before,the problem does not occur when I export each layer or collection (in Blender 2.9),the error is only when exporting both layers (collection) together and only in the exporter to FSX (I'm using p3d v1.4 exporter-XtoMDL_1.4.6787.0) Everything was ok until I created a second layer with objects (duplicated from layer one but with new materials added).
Since then exporting each layer separately works fine,but you cannot export layers together.
I changed blender 9.2 to 9.3 and it didn't help.
By the way,what is QUID ID?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Sorry - I meant GUID - it's required for each model/object that is created. It is an alphanumeric value assigned to a model.

Collections (or layers as you call them) can not be used as such (unless they are labeled correctly for LOD).

For me to troubleshoot further it might require you to send the .blend file to me.

Hi,
I'm sorry for not answering for so long, but I'm having problems with my computer.
I found the answer to my problem with export on the P3D forum.
Unfortunately,it turned out that the FSX exporter,or maybe the FSX itself,has a number of animation/visibility tag limitation.
From my tests it appears that the export of 226 elements with these attributes is the maximum,it will not export more.
When this number is reached, adding another object will cause the exporter's error,even if the added object does not have the above-mentioned attributes.
In P3D v4.4 I did not notice this limit (or it is so high that I have not reached it ... so far :D )

Best regards.
Kowal.