• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Bulk traffic

One can list aircraft not used in traffic files:

Would it be possible to list aircraft used in traffic files?

This would allow one to easily remove those aircraft not used in order to speed up the initial loading of FSX.

gadgets

Resource contributor
George, the aircraft used in a traffic file can be determined simply by loading the traffic file.

Don

George, the aircraft used in a traffic file can be determined simply by loading the traffic file.
I know thst.

What I require to know is all aircraft which are used in all traffic files so I can remove those that are not used.

gadgets

Resource contributor
The "Identify aircraft not used in traffic files" function will tell you which of your installed aircraft are NOT used in the selected traffic files - which, from your comment - appears to be what you require.

Don

Unfortunately that is not so.

It list liveries not used rather than aircraft (folders) nit used.

gadgets

Resource contributor
It list liveries not used rather than aircraft (folders) nit used.
Yes, it does. But it also lists the folders in which those aircraft titles reside - which appears to be the information you require.

Don

I does list the folders, but they may contain used aircraft.

Don't worry, I will decode traffic files and do it myself.

AIFP doesn't scan the aircraft correctly.

eg. in FSX.CFG I have:

SimObjectPaths.12=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft

The result of running:

"Identify aircraft not used in traffic files"

produces:

F1UT2_100.2M.2M F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100
F1UT2_100.AE.AE F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100
F1UT2_100.AF.AF F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100
F1UT2_100.AF.DB F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100

So it is scanning subfolders (\100).

It also produces:

LS AI 22ft Boat 1 F:\!FSX\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_22ft_boat_FSX
LS AI 22ft Boat 2 F:\!FSX\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_22ft_boat_FSX
LS AI 22ft Boat 3 F:\!FSX\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_22ft_boat_FSX
LS AI 30ft Boat 1 F:\!FSX\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_30ft_boat_FSX
LS AI 30ft Boat 2 F:\!FSX\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_30ft_boat_FSX
LS AI 30ft Boat 3 F:\!FSX\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_30ft_boat_FSX

which shows that it is scanning all subfolders of SimObjects\ rather than only Aircraft.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Most unusual, George. This has never been reported to my recollection. But, perhaps that's because most users wouldn't include boats in their search.

So, I checked the aircraft.cfg files of one of the stock boats. To my surprise, in the [General] block I found "Category=airplane". Since the stock boats have been declared as airplanes, AIFP has no way of knowing they are not. That being the case, if you include boats in your search, AIFP will CORRECTLY return those boats as missing - unless, of course, the traffic files being tested actually use boats.

Don

Since the stock boats have been declared as airplanes, AIFP has no way of knowing they are not. That being the case, if you include boats in your search, AIFP will CORRECTLY return those boats as missing - unless, of course, the traffic files being tested actually use boats.

I cannot see how to include boats in the search and, the list of "Aircraft to be Checked" does not include any "aircraft" from Simobjects\Boats, nor does it list any aircraft from SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\

Why does Simobhects\UT2 Aircraft\100 get scanned?

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
George, your system seems to operate differently from mine. The list of "aircraft" generated when I select Bulk Traffic/Identify Aircraft Not Used ... includes the title of every boat in Simobjects/Boats. (Those titles start with "LS").

As for UT2 aircraft, I don't have that package so I can't answer that question. However, if you send me an aircraft folder from that package (I don't need the textures), perhaps I can discover why they are not processed.

Don

George, your system seems to operate differently from mine. The list of "aircraft" generated when I select Bulk Traffic/Identify Aircraft Not Used ... includes the title of every boat in Simobjects/Boats. (Those titles start with "LS").

Why? They can not be used in traffic files. I don't have any entries in boats starting with "LS". the only folders with aircraft.cfg's are:

As for UT2 aircraft, I don't have that package so I can't answer that question. However, if you send me an aircraft folder from that package (I don't need the textures), perhaps I can discover why they are not processed.

They should not be processed but they are, even though they are not in the selection list.

Stick any aircraft folder in FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\XXX\ and rerun Identify Aircraft Not Used.

FSX will not find any aircraft in that folder, but AIFPC does.

gadgets

Resource contributor
George, you are confusing aircraft titles with aircraft folder names. Your F:\!FSX\SimObjects|Boats\AI_Vessel_22ft_boat_FSX FOLDER contains a number of boats all titled "LS_....". Since the aircraft.cfg file identifies all the boats in that folder as "Category=airplane", AIFP assumes they are aircraft and lists them. The items in the list of aircraft generated when you select Identify Missing aircraft ... are titles and (on my system at least, includes all the "LS_... entries.

Re UT2 aircraft, based on the information you have provided, I would suggest several possibilities:
  1. The UT 2 aircraft top folder is not specified in the FSX.cfg file (so AIFP doesn't know it exists),
  2. The titles are actually in the list but you are looking for folder names, or
  3. The category assigned to those aircraft is other than "airplane".
Don

I'm sorry Don, we never seem to understand each other.

I would assume that AIFP reads FSX.CFG and interprets SimObjectPaths.nn?

I have:

SimObjectPaths.12=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft

Which means scan .\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\ for aircraft.

The result of running "/Identify Aircraft Not Used" produces:

Code:

F1UT2_100.2M.2M                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AE.AE                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AF.AF                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AF.DB                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AF.DB.3rd door                                                           F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AF.DB.Old Colors                                                         F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AF.DB.Old Colors with 3rd door                                           F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AF.YS                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AF.YS.3rd door                                                           F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AV.MM                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.AV.O6                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.EP.EP                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.EP.EP.Old Colors                                                         F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.IR.IR.EP-CFD                                                             F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.IR.IR.EP-CFE                                                             F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.IR.IR.EP-CFJ                                                             F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.IR.IR.EP-CFK                                                             F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.IR.IR.EP-CFO                                                             F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.IR.IR.EP-IDD                                                             F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100                                 
F1UT2_100.KL.WA                                                                    F:\!FSX\SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\100       

ie it is searching sub-folders of Simobjects\UT2 Aircraft.

You needn't respond, I only posted to show that AIFP does not operate as I expected.

gadgets

Resource contributor
I'm sorry Don, we never seem to understand each other.
No need to apologize, George. This time it's my fault. When you changed the topic this morning and said:
FSX will not find any aircraft in that folder, but AIFPC does.
, I inferred you were not seeing UT2 aircraft in the result and that was your concern. Had I gone back to your earlier posts, it would have been clear that was not the case.

Anyway, AIFP is working exactly as intended. In the context of AIFP, an "aircraft" is what you apparently call a "livery" (or at least did so above), not an aircraft folder. As noted earlier, the list of aircraft generated during Bulk Traffic/Identify Aircraft Not Used is a list of titles (i.e., liveries), and I can't help but wonder should you looked further down in that list to the "F"s if you wouldn't find each of your UT2 aircraft titles listed. Similarly, the scan for missing aircraft is based on individual titles, not aircraft folders, and, yes, to do so, AIFP not only scans individual aircraft folder subfolders but also each title in the aircraft.cfg in each folder.

Hope this clarifies.

Don

Similarly, the scan for missing aircraft is based on individual titles, not aircraft folders, and, yes, to do so, AIFP not only scans individual aircraft folder subfolders but also each title in the aircraft.cfg in each folder.
OK. I wonder whether FSX also scans boats and subfolders?

I will try to create a flight plan using a boat and one of the UT2 aircraft.

I need to apologise profusely.

FSX does indeed recurse through the directories from the root specified in SimObjectPaths.n, it does find and use objects from SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft\XXX.

It also recurses on the "default" Simobjects and will use \Boats.