• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

City of Sketchup

Country
indonesia
Member of other communities are building our cities in Jakarta with using SketchUp to put in GoogleEarth.

I take it from SketchUp into FSX. here it is the result:

Alpha_JKT_1.jpg

JW Marriot and Ritz-Carlton Jakarta

Alpha_JKT_2.jpg

World Trade Center Jakarta

Alpha_JKT_3.jpg

Grand Indonesia at Bundaran HI

Alpha_JKT_4.jpg

Bakrie Tower and Rasuna Apartment

Alpha_JKT_5.jpg

Alpha_JKT_6.jpg

Alpha_JKT_7.jpg

Alpha_JKT_8.jpg

Left : Ritz-Carlton Jakarta
Right : JW Marriot Jakarta

Alpha_JKT_9.jpg

Sudirman District Area

Alpha_JKT_10.jpg

I think is not fps friendly and still looking to make it friendly :D
Because a lot of polygon their use it.

Need your comment and suggestion!!! except groundpoly of couse, because I use it for placing an object.

Country
australia
Hi, some of our team at Best Brick Studios use SketchUp Pro as it's easy to model with and texture, we then export to GMAX and export with GUID Data.

Country
newzealand
There are some threads about this already so search for them and have a read.

The key to optimising Sketchup models in my mind is a) Welding vertices on the faces (Sketchup models are built entirely of faces....there is no 'volume' to speak of) and b) texture optimisation. The texture mapping on the Sketchup models is pretty wonky and will export the textures on seperate sheets if that is how the modeler has done it.....considerable time may need to be spent tidying up the textures (i.e. adding all textures to one or two 1024 x 1024 pixel sheets and correcting UVW mapping)

Country
indonesia
I only use modeconverterx and convert from DAE to the MDL file, and for texture still use many of files from SketchUp, very tricky.

Jakarta Skyscrapers Volume 1 in 1st January
happy_new_year_2011.jpg

happy_new_year_2011_2.jpg

happy_new_year_2011_3.jpg

scenery already uploaded @Flightsim and @AVSim. :p

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi,
It is beautiful. I used to do that way.
But after doing that, the fps was not good at all.
I make texture from the model in sketch up downloaded from 3dware house and make my own model by gmax. Make it simpler and less polygon.
Bangkok is a long way to go but I think it is better than converting from sketch up model.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21978

I have some pictures to compare the polygon of sketch up and gmax models that I made later.
comparepoly2.jpg

comparepoly.jpg

The polygon is reduced by half. I think it will help a lot with fps problem.

It is a very tedious job but the fps is much better than converting the models, of which there are so many polygons and too many sheets of textures.

Are there any other ways around the conner? I don't know, and would like to know from the others as well.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I just found out during resurch its not the polygons its the triangles.
I now need to find out how to count the triangles.
Something to do with the way the graphics card works. eg
Cube 6 faces 8 vertices
Graphic card reads one face at a time.
Each face 2 triangles 4 vertices.
12 faces 24 vertices
I hope I am understanding what I have read in this forum.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I just found out during resurch its not the polygons its the triangles.
I now need to find out how to count the triangles.

There are essentially two ways to find out:

1. If your work is in e-poly mode, double the reported number of polygons + 5%.

2. Convert your work to e-mesh mode. The tool will then report the precise number of triangles (tri-polys).

When exported, the module will re-triangulate your work irrespective of whether you model in e-mesh or e-poly mode.

Bear in mind also that in FS9 it is the total tri-poly count that's most critical, in FSX it's the number of texture vertices that's most critical.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

In the end it does not matter if you model with GMax or SketchUp. With both programs you can make models that are not so efficient. It is the modeller who determines how many triangles and polygons he uses. So you can't say GMax is always better, a similarly skilled modeller can make the same model in SketchUp as well.

But with models from the 3D warehouse you sometimes find models that have too many polygons indeed. Google Earth is not a real time simulation of course, so it can less strict requirement for performance.

You can also use ModelConverterX to get an idea how many drawcalls and triangles a model has. When you import the model you can see this information.

ModelConverterX also has a drawcall minimizer function, that can help you to combine multiple textures onto one sheet. For some models I have downloaded from the 3D warehouse that allowed me to improve the performance quite a bit. But it does not always work, it depends on how the modeller applied the textures originally.

Once again, it you model it with performance in mind from the start (using minimum amount of texture sheets and polygons) you will always get the best performance. With any modelling tool :).

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Yes, Arno is right and well describe what we should do. It is the method of doing model not the program you are using.

I found that correct the old model to get less polygons and less texture sheets were too difficult and time consuming.
Build your own a new one and map the old or new texture is easier and have more control.

The world in Google is not for real time simulation. That's why when you fly in google earth, all the 3d buildings will turn off.

Build your own a new world is much better. You can try that and prove by yourself that is true.
I have a tip on this. In sketch up, you can have paralleled view: front, left, right top. You can press on print screen button and paste it in photoshop. Then use that as you texture. Like this one:

Ananta Samakom Throne
anantasmakom.jpg

The older model is more than thousand poly, the new one is less than 500.
You can see the shadow casting on the wall, that is from Sketchup.
If the texture of the old model is good you can use it right away.

Last edited: