• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Compile problems

Messages
132
Country
us-kansas
OK, I've finished a hanger and was ready to place it in FSX. I used the FSTOOL utility to create a GUID. Opened properties and copied the GUID. Then I exported the MDL file to the appropriate directory. I then copied an otherwise functional XML file to another directory, renamed it and moved it back. Now I changed the Lat Lon numbers, renamed the mdl file and pasted the GUID.

When I compile I get three error messages that flash on the screen so fast I have no chance to copy.

Any suggestions on how to slow process so as to copy error messages or is something wrong with the process I detailed above? Haven't had these problems before and since a casual developer, somewhat frustrating. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Mike
 
Hey Mike,

try using arno's Model Converter X which is available in the download section.
With that tool, you can open your mdl file, enter the coordinates and compile it as a bgl. No need of playing around with xml codes.
Hope this helps!
 
You can write a batch file that will keep the compiler window open so you can read the errors. Paste the lines below to a new text document and save it in the folder alongside the .xml you're trying to compile as "baseball.bat" or something.bat. Now double click it and you should be able to read and figure out why bglcomp is having a fit. Make sure the path to bglcomp is correct for your installation.

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\BglComp.exe" myfile.xml
pause

Jim
 
Or compile your XML from the command prompt, so that you can see the error messages. I have also made a tool called CompileHelper to capture the output and display it to you.

But as said, lately I tend to use ModelConverterX myself as well, if I want to position an object at a given location.
 
Ok, I did the compile from the command prompt and see that it is a parsing problem. Error is:

"Parsing document: Lear_H1.xml

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2034: XML Parse Fatal Error (line, column, error)

ERROR: 4, 80, Whitespace expected.
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2430: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2006: Parse failed (0x80004005)
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2003: Failed to process file: Lear_H1.xml"

Been a while since I've had this. Seems for some reason, on this object maybe I need to start over. Any other ideas? Thanks

Mike
 
My guess would be that the problem is in the xml file. Any chance of uploading it so that I can have a look at it?
 
Here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<SceneryObject lat="37 39.9" lon="-97 26.2" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0"heading="020" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject name="{495614c3-ea9d-43e3-bc2a-193af1b84d11}" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>

<ModelData sourceFile="Lear_H1.MDL" />
</FSData>
 
Here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<SceneryObject lat="37 39.9" lon="-97 26.2" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0"heading="020" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject name="{495614c3-ea9d-43e3-bc2a-193af1b84d11}" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>

<ModelData sourceFile="Lear_H1.MDL" />
</FSData>

The problem is with the part that I put in bold which should be bank="0" heading="020" Notice the space before the word "heading"
 
Back
Top