• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Confused on which exporter to use????

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the posts and replies, but...

Ok, well, I'm either eat up with the dumb ass, or missing something here. Perhaps in my title of this thread I should have stated "IMPORTER / EXPORTER". Also, I'm not referring to "older" vs "newer" versions of Blender but need to know what the proper and latest add-on to use to accomplish my projects (always with the latest Blender). I've been importing the MSFS models, using the models for texturing properly and haven't exported anything (yet) but will be doing so very soon with scenery objects and need to be able to export them properly.

I did a "clean" install of Blender 3.1. Made sure ALL of the "bogus"(?) importer / exporters, etc. were removed from the add on directory.

Downloaded "FlightSim Blender glTF 2.0 Importer and Exporter" from the link above and unzipped it. (Name implies it will "import")

Followed the instructions to the letter to place the folder "io_scene_gltf2_msfs" and its contents into the Blender\Add-On folder

Opened Blender and installed / enabled "Import-Export: Microsoft Flight Simulator glTF Extension" (comes up with version 1.1.6)

Restarted Blender, verified that the add on is still enabled.

(I might be wrong about this one. I exported a lot of items for P3D / FSX and have not exported anything for MSFS yet). On the sidebar I have no tabs that say anything about "MSFS" as before(?) where I can create a GUID and select the location of the SDK, create friendly name... (Is this no longer how it's done?)

I DO have a new tab that says "Multi-Export glTF 2.0", but unsure how to use it

In "IMPORT" I do NOT have anything that allows me to import models from MSFS (I fixed this by adding "msfs2blend-master" to my Add-Ons)

Thanks!

TB2

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Thanks for the posts and replies, but...

Ok, well, I'm either eat up with the dumb ass, or missing something here. Perhaps in my title of this thread I should have stated "IMPORTER / EXPORTER". Also, I'm not referring to "older" vs "newer" versions of Blender but need to know what the proper and latest add-on to use to accomplish my projects (always with the latest Blender). I've been importing the MSFS models, using the models for texturing properly and haven't exported anything (yet) but will be doing so very soon with scenery objects and need to be able to export them properly.

I did a "clean" install of Blender 3.1. Made sure ALL of the "bogus"(?) importer / exporters, etc. were removed from the add on directory.

Downloaded "FlightSim Blender glTF 2.0 Importer and Exporter" from the link above and unzipped it. (Name implies it will "import")

Followed the instructions to the letter to place the folder "io_scene_gltf2_msfs" and its contents into the Blender\Add-On folder

Opened Blender and installed / enabled "Import-Export: Microsoft Flight Simulator glTF Extension" (comes up with version 1.1.6)

Restarted Blender, verified that the add on is still enabled.

(I might be wrong about this one. I exported a lot of items for P3D / FSX and have not exported anything for MSFS yet). On the sidebar I have no tabs that say anything about "MSFS" as before(?) where I can create a GUID and select the location of the SDK, create friendly name... (Is this no longer how it's done?)

I DO have a new tab that says "Multi-Export glTF 2.0", but unsure how to use it

In "IMPORT" I do NOT have anything that allows me to import models from MSFS (I fixed this by adding "msfs2blend-master" to my Add-Ons)

Thanks!

TB2

Hi TB:

You may wish to review this info:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/msfs-asobo-official-blender-exporter.454146/page-3

Also, if we scroll down the page here:

https://github.com/AsoboStudio/glTF-Blender-IO-MSFS#flightsim-blender-gltf-20-importer-and-exporter

...we will see this disclaimer:

"NOTE: This plugin cannot import glTF files that have been built into a Microsoft Flight Simulator package through the sim's Package Builder."

IIUC, that means if the objects you want to access have been "Built" with the SDK PackageTool, no dice.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Additional_Information/Package_Tool/Package_Tool.htm

Be aware that "msfs2blend-master" is limited to repaint activities, and may not access entire MSFS 3D models.

https://github.com/bestdani/msfs2blend

But, AFAIK, MCX may be able to access the MSFS 3D data you want to import into Blender via a import / export workflow.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/modelconverterx.87/

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hi TB:

You may wish to review this info:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/msfs-asobo-official-blender-exporter.454146/page-3

Also, if we scroll down the page here:

https://github.com/AsoboStudio/glTF-Blender-IO-MSFS#flightsim-blender-gltf-20-importer-and-exporter

...we will see this disclaimer:

"NOTE: This plugin cannot import glTF files that have been built into a Microsoft Flight Simulator package through the sim's Package Builder."

IIUC, that means if the objects you want to access have been "Built" with the SDK PackageTool, no dice.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Additional_Information/Package_Tool/Package_Tool.htm

Be aware that "msfs2blend-master" is limited to repaint activities, and may not access entire MSFS 3D models.

https://github.com/bestdani/msfs2blend

But, AFAIK, MCX may be able to access the MSFS 3D data you want to import into Blender via a import / export workflow.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/modelconverterx.87/

GaryGB
Thanks for the info Gary. You've always come through in a pinch. I did see the disclaimer, (later) and wondered if that was what it was referring to. msfs2blend-master is fine for my needs, but as always, things change constantly, and I want to be able to keep up. At least for now.

TB2

Country
australia
Hi TB

In the end I think it comes down to whether or not you need the extra functionality of the "FlightSim Blender glTF 2.0 Importer and Exporter"?
For me (at the present time and that might change in the future) I do not use the extra functionality and will stay with "old" exporter. I will be giving it a test run though to check out the 'feature' I have been alerted to, of the albedo color/tinting showing when using MSFS Glass.

I agree with Gary that FCX may assist you as it is a great and powerful tool which I have used extensively in the past but IMHO nothing beats Blender for creating objects and modifying existing ones. Each tool has its advantages.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello TB...

You mentioned that you aren't worried about what version of Blender you are using. You might want to re-think that over because Blender v 3.0 and up can only use the Official Asobo Exporter for MSFS 2020. All others are not recommended. The add-on or Toolset for FSX and P3D only works with Blender v2.83.xx or 2.93.xx. The latest version of the exporter by Asobo should work with Blender v3.20.

Concerning documentation for the latest, you will have to wait on Asobo. After the last MSFS 20200 update, the addon updates have slowed to a crawl. Hopefully, that means, they are working on the documentation for the add-on with the 3DS Max samples.

Country
unitedstates
Hello TB...

You mentioned that you aren't worried about what version of Blender you are using. You might want to re-think that over because Blender v 3.0 and up can only use the Official Asobo Exporter for MSFS 2020. All others are not recommended. The add-on or Toolset for FSX and P3D only works with Blender v2.83.xx or 2.93.xx. The latest version of the exporter by Asobo should work with Blender v3.20.

Concerning documentation for the latest, you will have to wait on Asobo. After the last MSFS 20200 update, the addon updates have slowed to a crawl. Hopefully, that means, they are working on the documentation for the add-on with the 3DS Max samples.

You misunderstood, or perhaps I conveyed myself inappropriately. (Not uncommon for me :rolleyes:). I ALWAYS use the latest Blender, Add-ons, etc. Thanks for the clarification though!

Thanks Doug!

Country
us-newyork
Hi @TBryson2

The best thing you can do is CLEAN installation of Blender, removing all of the above one and install the Asobo Exporter

It is reliable and will be supported by Asobo (and hope pretty soon included in the SDK updates)

There is no reason to have on your system multiple exporters unless you really know what you are doing or have the need for very specific tasks

As per @jgarnold suggestion, multiple plugins are going to clash with each other creating issue
Does this also apply to exporting custom aircrafts?