• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Converted FSX Model displays in night mode in MCX/MSFS

Country
us-florida
Using the wondeful MCX, I have converted a number of fsx models to glTF files and png textures and all went fine and they look great in MSFS. However, I have one set of converted FSX models that display in night texture in MCX and, as one would expect, in MSFS as well. The converted models think that night is permanent in MSFS. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Stiletto2

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Is the day/night material attribute set in the MSFS material attributes?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I believe you need to set it to true to have the emissive texture only at night.

Country
us-florida
Thanks. Unfortunately, the night texture display does not change in MCX whether day/night for each texture is set to true or false. I also tried changing the exporter setting for "Emissive texture white color" to False when exporting from FSX model and texture to gltf model and textures but did not make a difference.

Any other ideas?

Rod

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In MCX the day night option does not influence the preview, but I thought om MSFS you saw the night texture the entire day.

Country
us-florida
Sorry, I meant to say that even with Day/Night set to true, the model still only showed Night when in MSFS at all times of the day and night. But, good news! After reading all the posts I could find on this type of problem I took a close look at the orignal model and noticed that though most of my models have the Albedo color as white for the texutres that also have _lm textures, this model had all the Albedos set to black for those type of textures. Of course, that didn't change when I converted it. So, after conversion, I changed the Albedo color to white for those particular textures and voila the model works perfectly in MSFS showing the correct daytime look and the correct nightime look.

Thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Glad to read you got it working. So actually it was not the might texture showing, but the dark albedo color just causing the model to go dark.

Country
us-florida
Glad to read you got it working. So actually it was not the might texture showing, but the dark albedo color just causing the model to go dark.

Yes, after conversion to glTF, the original, black abeldo color caused the daytime textures to look like the night textures. In the native fsx model the black albedo produced the right daytime texture look but once the materials setting "Is PBR Material" beccame true, after conversion, the textures took on a night look in MSFS daytime until I changed the Albedo to white

Rod.