• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Creating 3D Assets for airport usage in MSFS

If you wish to smooth your cone in Blender....

Ensure you are in object mode then select the object. Right click the object then at the top of the list shown click "shade smooth"

There are other ways too but I find this method the simplest.

Good luck
Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@stinger2k2 Thanks for the reply. Nothing seems to happen when I am in object mode and the cone is selected and I right click, "shade smooth"
I recall needing to lift the cone up to the datum mark, as now, below ground.
I need this cone to be white. So are textures needed, as I want a low kb footprint as possible, due to many of these cones needed per project.

Attachments

• Blender Cone smoothing.JPG
    Blender Cone smoothing.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 27
And just looking again at the export system, do I have to type in the entire address for where my textures (if any) will go? I would have thought(hoped) that Blender would enable a search tool to get to the address. Last time I did the export, it some how omitted the xx.bin file, so I need to make sure I have all items entered as correct as possible.

The structure I am using for MSFS airport building for the runway cones

• Documents > myFSProjects >
  • PackageDefinitions
  • PackageSources > modellib
>textures
>cone
  • scene

Attachments

• Blender texture export.JPG
    Blender texture export.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Shade smooth should work without textures, assuming that you made the cone with Blender. You could also try autosmooth which is under a green button on the right hand side called "object data properties". Look under "Normals".

Assuming that your texture folder is inside your modellib folder, then when exporting you need to type "../texture/" in the Textures field that you show in your screen shot. This will tell the exporter to go back one level in your folder structure to where your texture folder is. (Hope that makes sense). Your model itself should be exported to a folder inside the modellib folder , thats why you need to tell it to go back one level to find the textures folder.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

@stinger2k2 OK, I will try the autosmooth. "../texture/"..... I will use this. I wondered how to get the exporter to know how to get to my textures folder. Thanks.

@stinger2k2 OK, I will try the autosmooth. "../texture/"..... I will use this. I wondered how to get the exporter to know how to get to my textures folder. Thanks.
If you haven't already check out a series of tutorial videos on Youtube by a chap with the id " Flying Theston" He's very good to get you started.

If you haven't already check out a series of tutorial videos on Youtube by a chap with the id " Flying Theston" He's very good to get you started.

Yes, I often use his site for assistance. I got utterly lost with his system of file setup changing the .xml names and contents. So, I set up my file structure as previously advised and let the SDK create the xml files during the file save process. I have built several airports, well, more like airstrips in PNG, so that part is not too bad. Though that said, I notice on the console, "1 item skipped". I do not get any serious errors, and the creation and subsequent modifications seems to work great

For me, my next challenges are creating scenery and getting it into MSFS. My 'cone' problem was solved yesterday when a fellow airstrip builder put out a package of build items, including several cones of differing colours. They worked excellently.

But, I still need to be able to create items and export/import myself.

Yes, I often use his site for assistance. I got utterly lost with his system of file setup changing the .xml names and contents. So, I set up my file structure as previously advised and let the SDK create the xml files during the file save process. I have built several airports, well, more like airstrips in PNG, so that part is not too bad. Though that said, I notice on the console, "1 item skipped". I do not get any serious errors, and the creation and subsequent modifications seems to work great

For me, my next challenges are creating scenery and getting it into MSFS. My 'cone' problem was solved yesterday when a fellow airstrip builder put out a package of build items, including several cones of differing colours. They worked excellently.

But, I still need to be able to create items and export/import myself.
I agree, the intial setup is a bit confusing but once you have done it a few times it becomes easier. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@stinger2k2 Maybe of value, I had looked at this before! I made the habit of when I had created the working!! project file structure, I made several copies. Blank project 1 etc to make sure everything is as it should be. Then, as I use one of the blanks for a project, I create a new blank copy. Creating airports certainly demands your file creations are accurate, to stop it running off the rails.

Flightsim.to has some excellent stuff on it. One of their items that is the mainstay of my community folder additions and deletions methodology is their "MSFS Addon Linker"...amazing little program.

@stinger2k2 Maybe of value, I had looked at this before! I made the habit of when I had created the working!! project file structure, I made several copies. Blank project 1 etc to make sure everything is as it should be. Then, as I use one of the blanks for a project, I create a new blank copy. Creating airports certainly demands your file creations are accurate, to stop it running off the rails.

Flightsim.to has some excellent stuff on it. One of their items that is the mainstay of my community folder additions and deletions methodology is their "MSFS Addon Linker"...amazing little program.
Yes, I use addon linker too. A great tool. It sounds like you are even more organised than me with your project setups!

Yeah, setting up is super important, and helps with not losing things, then its a case of getting the bits inside to talk to each other...Some times the journey of discovery has hills..:)