• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Custom Airport List

I'm trying to compile a list of airports from the Airports \Custom list drop down and it doesn't seem to work right. I select the airports that I want from the list and make sure the check boxes are checked and If there is anything in the file it's:
System.String[]
System.String[].... bunches of them.
No airports are in the custom Airports list.
This is with Version 109.

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Joe W

gadgets

Resource contributor
Am I doing something wrong?
Probably not, Joe.

This is a feature that seemed like a good idea during the design phase of AIFP but now seems like a lot of effort for not much return. In fact, I'm considering removing it in "version 2". (If anyone strongly objects, please speak up now.) Consequently, I haven't given this feature much "TLC" and it's quite probable I've "broken" it some where along the way.

That being said, I will take a look at it today and fix it if its not a "big deal".
I select the airports that I want from the list and make sure the check boxes are checked and If there is anything in the file it's:
System.String[]
System.String[].... bunches of them.
No airports are in the custom Airports list.
By "If there is anything in the file", are you suggesting that sometimes there isn't - even if you select airports? Please confirm that "System.String[]" was actually written to the "AircraftList-Custom.txt".

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Found it, Joe.

Custom airport lists should be properly generated in the next release (probably tomorrow).

Don

Yes ... sometimes I get an empty 7k file.
Thats great. It's a great feature because I think you can compile an airport list quickly and easly.

Thanks
Joe W.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Joe, unless you've got a very old machine or very limited memory, I'm surprised you can tell the differnece between using a custom list and the fill list. I'd be interested in knowing your experiences in this regard once you get the fix.

Don

OK .... Machine is a p4 3.2 ghz, 2 gig PC3200 ram, I think the FSB is 400 not sure.
I'm building another but it's not operational now.
I'm hobbling along with this now.
Joe W.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Sounds like about the same vintage and mine - about 3 yrs old.

The full file shouldn't be a problem unless you're handling very large files - in which case there are other aspects of the procesing that will come into play as well.

"AirportList.dat" is accessed only on the first encounter with an airport - except of course when you use the airport editor. To give you an idea of how much real time that consumes, start a new flight plan, enter an unknown ICAO code (like "Z123") as the departure airport and see how long it takes for the system to tell you the airport isn't known. In doing so, the system has loaded and scanned the entire file, record by record.

That being said, the problem you reported yesterday is fixed and I anticipate making another general release either later today or tomorow.

Don

I can open that file within the program at any time and out of the program at any time. That file is no problem. Takes a while, maybe 30 seconds to open in the program. I have no problems with that file at all.
Joe W.

gadgets

Resource contributor
I don't understand the 30 seconds required to open AI Flight Planner - unless your RAM is already full. It should be virtually instantaneous. All the file does upon loading is obtain the value for a few variables from the .ini. file and set the correct time zone. Maybe your machine is "sick"?.

Don

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. What I'm trying to do is compile an airport list by selecting them in the custom airport list. I'd like to make a list of certain airports that can be used to compile traffic for them. I thought that was what it was for ...... to generate a subset of airports. I just downloaded the 1.1 version over at Avsim and it still won't do this. Did I misunderstand?
Joe W.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Joe, I've just checked Version 1.1 (again) and it creates the custom airport list for me. However, it does so at the country level. Not sure why at the moment. Looks like ther'll have to be a Version 1.1 to fix that.

Are you saying the custom airport list is not generated at all? If so, could you please detail the steps you're taking since, obviously, you're doing something I hadn't anticipated.

Re the delay you are experiencing in opening the airport list, how are you measuring that?

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Joe, you can relax. I found a second problem in this area that, under certain circumstances will stil generate a blank list. I'll have a fix available later today.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Try this one, please, Joe.

I am unable to fault it. If it doesn't work for you, please provide step-by-step description re what you are doing.

Don

Just downloaded it and removed the ver 11 and installed the 111. Steps I'm taking are: I start the program then Click on airports, Customize airportlist, then scroll down to the United States, Florida, then the area I want and in ver 11 I got a list. I check the area and all the airports and then click on Generate subset and I get a list but there is nothing in it. With 111 the area is shown but no list of airports. Shot 1 is ver 11, shot 2 is ver 111. With both I get a blank list.
Joe W.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Now I see the problem! As a temporary fix, open AirportsList.dat in Notepad, scroll down to United States and remove the first nine entries (i.e., the Pacific Islands), leaving the first US entry as Alabama. You should then be able to do what you want to.

The problem is that those first nine entries don't have a region specified while the balance of the US entries do. AIFP doesn't "know how to handle" that situation. During my testing, to check four-tier entries (i.e., those with country/region/city/airport name) I used countries closer to the top of the list (e.g., Australia/Canada). On the positive side, there were other problems in this area which have now been fixed. (As I said earlier, I had tentative plans to remove this feature, so it didn't get the same level of TLC as the rest of the program. It now has!)

Don

The original airportlist.dat is now a bak. I had renamed it because I scaned the Addon Scenery\ scenery folder to collect the airports in that folder that I have edited. These airports I want to use are already in that folder. Was that not a good thing? I can rename it back and make that change.
I have included my airportList.dat in the zip.
Joe W.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
So long as you don't want to write/edit flight plans using other airports, it will work fine.

But I'm still curious why it takes 30 seconds for you to open the original airportList.dat.

DOn

gadgets

Resource contributor
I think I've got it this time Joe. There were two interacting problems, but only one appeared at a time. Fix one and the other appeared. I had to re-write the entire section of code to make the feature work as intended. The new release is available here.

Don