• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Development release download speed

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Downloading now - it takes 10 minutes so it will be a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloading now - it takes 10 minutes so it will be a little bit.
Is the download constantly that slow? I know there was a thread about the scenerydesign.org website speed a while back, but I am not sure if it is always slow or just sometimes. The website is on my NAS, so I don't notice the speed myself. But I switched ISP a few months ago and I feel that might be related.

Last edited:
Is the download constantly that slow? I know there was a thread about the scenerydesign.org website speed a while back, but I am not sure if it is always slow or just sometimes. The website is on my NAS, so I don't notice the speed myself. But I switched ISP a few months ago and I feel that might be related.
Yes, it's always taken 8-12 minutes to download MCX for the past few months. Before that it was as fast as any other download.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's always taken 8-12 minutes to download MCX for the past few months. Before that it was as fast as any other download.
Right, let me see what I can do about it. 10 minutes sounds like the speed from many yeara ago :)

Last edited:
BTW, Firefox reports that the MCX download speed varies between 20-30 KB/sec. Downloading from flightsim.com is about 7 MB/sec.

That's really slow. I did a speed test and my upload speed is around 20 Mbit/s, so that should allow better speeds. But I guess something else interferes. I'll check.

I can confirm the slow download performance of the developer versions since quite some time, Arno.

Send from mobile hence short

I need to find a way to test it. When downloading from my phone it does not take 10 minutes, it was more around 1 minute.

Tom is correct on the download speed from my end as well.

I have made a few changes on the server now, can you let me know if it is faster this way?

That sounds better already. Let's wait for the experience of others.

Still 20-30 KB/sec for me... Estimated time is 10 minutes.

Only difference for me was that the download started at 50-60 KB/sec, then decreased to 20-30.

Last edited:
Download speed is fine for me.
Just downloaded the latest release. Downloading at ~600 KB/s using Free Download Manager. Took about 2 min to download.

I do have a fat pipe.

Gavin

Really puzzling that there is such a big range between 20 and 600 kB/sec. On the other hand, with 600 kB/s it should take less than a minute to get the file, but that user also said it took about 2 minutes in total. So it seems the most optimal speed you all report is around 200 kB/sec. The connection that the server is on has a much bigger bandwidth (that is around 3.5 MB/sec). Let me see if I can figure out where the bottleneck for that is.

Really puzzling that there is such a big range between 20 and 600 kB/sec. On the other hand, with 600 kB/s it should take less than a minute to get the file, but that user also said it took about 2 minutes in total. So it seems the most optimal speed you all report is around 200 kB/sec. The connection that the server is on has a much bigger bandwidth (that is around 3.5 MB/sec). Let me see if I can figure out where the bottleneck for that is.
Arno, for me it always starts off anywhere from 100 to a few hundred KB/s, but drops to 50-60 within about 10 seconds. I feel like that's not unusual though, as I seem to remember a lot of servers starting off with a huge spike then stabilizing, or reporting slower speeds as the download is about to finish. Some of that could be location based since you are running it off of your own NAS.

Just downloaded the latest version. Firefox reported it to be 22.5 mb. The download took 6:48(mins: seconds) according to the stop watch on my phone. Firefox reported speeds from 38 kb/sec to a brief high of 72 kb/sec. Most of the time the speed was in the area of 40 to 55 kb/sec.

Ed

With the latest adjustments, avg is about 38 kb/sec for me. Though at brief times reaching 70+ kb/sec. Definitely sounds like a bottleneck or maybe packet size changes.

Back