• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Doubt with texturing blender mesh and export to msfs 2020

Country
italy
Hi all ,
I’m learning to model and export to msfs 2020 from blender 2.91 . I’m a bit in confusion with the right workflow. I need your help. I try to explain how could be my workflow for that I have seen looking some YouTube videos and my different test for what I have understood

- make a mesh like an hangar
- create for example three materials with three different textures
- Add the materials to the mesh with the relative UV for each parts ( example wall, windows, roof )
- export to msfs the mesh with a only one texture

now the dubt :
1) I want to use Pbr materials so I need to search for each texture , diffuse, normal , roughness, ambient occlusion , metallic ( right ? )
2) now I need to apply these maps with the node in shading for each materials ?
3) After that I need to use the bake option in blender to create the final texture with a new UV for the entire mesh.
4) I delete the three materials and I put in my mesh a new blender material with activating the option “ msfs parameters” and “msfs standard “ so I add my baked albedo texture in the material panel
5) now I bake the Normal map and add This also.
6) bake the other maps so to create for example in Photoshop the RGB map so to add this also ?
7) finally export ?
I tryed some test but I notice a loss of texture details and all seems a bit complicated And I don’t know if it’s right or there is something else To do.

hope your help
Many thanks.

Country
austria
Hi all ,
I’m learning to model and export to msfs 2020 from blender 2.91 . I’m a bit in confusion with the right workflow. I need your help. I try to explain how could be my workflow for that I have seen looking some YouTube videos and my different test for what I have understood

- make a mesh like an hangar
- create for example three materials with three different textures
- Add the materials to the mesh with the relative UV for each parts ( example wall, windows, roof )
- export to msfs the mesh with a only one texture

now the dubt :
1) I want to use Pbr materials so I need to search for each texture , diffuse, normal , roughness, ambient occlusion , metallic ( right ? )
2) now I need to apply these maps with the node in shading for each materials ?
3) After that I need to use the bake option in blender to create the final texture with a new UV for the entire mesh.
4) I delete the three materials and I put in my mesh a new blender material with activating the option “ msfs parameters” and “msfs standard “ so I add my baked albedo texture in the material panel
5) now I bake the Normal map and add This also.
6) bake the other maps so to create for example in Photoshop the RGB map so to add this also ?
7) finally export ?
I tryed some test but I notice a loss of texture details and all seems a bit complicated And I don’t know if it’s right or there is something else To do.

hope your help
Many thanks.
Hello, i up on the same problem. Tried different workflows and ended up with the same like yours. At the end, my textures are washed out etc. I have checked several texturing maps from orbx, gaya, aerosoft etc. and they all have big building on one map and their textures are pretty solid with only a litte loss of quality. Still don’t know how they do it. I have so much fun in modelling but i‘ve been a bit frustrated now because the texturing part is hell.
Sorry that i can‘t help you.

Country
germany
I did not bake for my EDWF scenery. Just put in the textures for the materials. I didn't unwrap the whole object and bake (only for objects farther party where I didn't mind the washed out textures). Just apply your textures to parts, make a cube projection of the faces with this material and scale the UV accordingly, tiling etc. Then export to MSFS. Looks great, with nice details.

1K textures is more than sufficient. When you reuse your textures, for example in combination with the tint for coloring, it results in small package sizes with great detail. And using MSFS decals you can even project dirt, leaks etc on the surfaces without adding much geometry.

This method is great for airfields that are not that huge, I didn't notice any performance issues. You might run into fps problems at very crowded areas or huge airports, because your graphics card needs more cycles for rendering more textures. But for my places it's unbeatable in terms of resolution and quality.

When you're baking the textures from Blender, are you selecting the correct bake type for each map? The diffuse texture should be baked with the diffuse bake type and so on. I think the default bake type is combined which includes Blender's lighting into the baked texture so it won't look like the original.
I guess also, make sure the baked texture resolution is what you want.

The typical PBR workflow nowadays uses Substance Painter, Armor Paint or Quixel Mixer to combine the materials into the final maps. I know this is one more application and workflow to learn, but they are pretty powerful.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The OP can use procedural textures. That means using 1 model to map out or create the textures through Blender, which is node base. From there, the uv layout and textures will need to be saved out accordingly. This is time comsuming but rewarding, because once the materials are created, they can be reused quickly.