• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Effects & wind rotation

bpahe

Resource contributor
Hi there!

After having succeeded in compiling edited .asm-files with Dick´s BGLC_9, I thought that my flags where finished. But, ah, no.
I use flags created as effects (from a post here at SD.org, but in the old forum), that easily allows me to animate the flag itself. But since I have not been able to make the effect itself rotate with the wind, unless I want flags that fly away from the pole :) , I tried to make the entire object (pole + attachpt) rotate with the wind.
But I can´t get it to work. I´ve inserted 2 different flagpoles, as separate BGLs, just like you had to do in FS2002.

What I wish to get help on is either if someone knows how to rotate an effect as the one found below, with the wind,
or
to find out wether the rotate with the wind-"hack" only works on animated (gmax-animations) objects.

The flag that I use has the following code:

Code:
[Library Effect] 
Display Name=SDT_Flagga_2 
Lifetime=5 
Version=2.00 
Radius=200 

[Properties] 
Cockpit=1 
VirtualCockpit=1 
Spot=1 
Tower=1 

[Emitter.0] 
Lifetime=0.00, 0.00 
Delay=0.00, 0.00 
Bounce=0.00 
Rate=1.00, 1.00 
X Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00 
Y Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00 
Z Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00 
Drag=0.00, 0.00 
X Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00 
Y Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00 
Z Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00 
X Offset=0.00, 0.00 
Y Offset=0.00, 0.00 
Z Offset=0.00, 0.00 
Pitch=0.00, 0.00 
Bank=0.00, 0.00 
Heading=0.00, 0.00 

[Particle.0] 
Lifetime=8.00, 8.00 
Type=19 
X Scale=1.00, 1.00 
Y Scale=1.00, 1.00 
Z Scale=0.00, 0.00 
X Scale Rate=0.00, 0.00 
Y Scale Rate=0.00, 0.00 
Z Scale Rate=0.00, 0.00 
Drag=0.00, 0.00 
Color Rate=0.50, 0.50 
X Offset=0.00, 0.00 
Y Offset=0.00, 0.00 
Z Offset=0.00, 0.00 
Fade In=0.25, 0.25 
Fade Out=0.75, 0.75 
Rotation=0.00, 0.00 
Shade=1 
Static=1 
Face=0, 0, 0 

[ParticleAttributes.0] 
Blend Mode=1 
Texture=fx_SDT_Flag_Avis.bmp
Bounce=0.00 
Color Start=255, 255, 255, 255 
Color End=255, 255, 255, 0 
Jitter Distance=0.00 
Jitter Time=0.00 
FPS=8.00 
TextureSize=256 
CellSize=64 
CellStart=0 
CellEnd=7 
TempK=107.00 
TempRate=0.00

/hans

Last edited:

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
The rotate with the wind will not work with the effects, they are working in their own FS Space.

The only way I could figure on doing this with an animated flag (mine used tick18) was to create 8 flags, each in a different direction, then show them depending on the wind variable. However, I have not done that yet, but it should be possible.

Also, I am interested in how you did this effect animation. Can you provide a quick tutorial?

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes, Nick is correct here. The effect (attachpoint) does not respond to the rotation with the wind. This is because they are in a special section of the RIFF format. It is also not possible to add for example a condition to the effect with the BGLC code.

So you would either have to put the rotation in the effect somehow (must be possible, as smoke also responds to the wind) or create it in the method Nick mentioned.

bpahe

Resource contributor
arno said:
The effect (attachpoint) does not respond to the rotation with the wind. This is because they are in a special section of the RIFF format. It is also not possible to add for example a condition to the effect with the BGLC code.

Rats! Well, back to the ole´ drawingboard then! :(

Yes, the smoke moves with the wind, but the problem is that smokes consists of particles coming from an emmiter. The particles themselves do not move "internally" (hm, did anyone understand?). The flag is a particle that emitts but do not move, kind of like a static sprite with an animated texture. I´ve made flags that move with the wind, but then in the form of flags that evolves from the pole, drifts away with the wind and then disappears... quite funny to watch, but not very useful! ;)
I think that for now, I´m going to stick with these static flags, and continue work on them once I´ve released the current, delayed, project.

Nick, as I wrote in the first post, the code is not mine originaly. It was posted in this forum, it might have been by "JoeW", but that´s just a hunch.
But actually it is a quite simple thing.
You see emitter is almost empty, it releases just 1 particle. The SDK clearly states that animated textures are possible, so all that is done here is to specify a particle that fades in & out, has an animated texture that "moves" by 8 fps, where on the bitmap it should start fetching images (this gives a large possibility of variation). Also, the size of the particle (1 m square) is stated, I will change this value to the width of the flag later, also adjusting the offset values.

I´ve worked these values before, but I´ll get on them again: drag, rotation, static. Sorry about not being able to provide more info, but the guy who came up with the idea originally really deserves some credit! :claphands:

/hans

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Hans...

Appreciate the info. See my post on the effects / sprites issue here as well. Microsoft know about this, and I would hope to see improvement in the future.

Remember, the attachtool.ms script only got to the developers very very late in the FS9 process. I would expect to see much more use of it in the next release.