• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Exclusion of default airport question.

Country
poland
Hello.

I have an airport that has underling polygon cvx I suppose. Where can I find default correspondng cvx to my airport in order to exclude it ?
Airport is n middle of city and default airport files flatten and exclude autogen surrounding my airport. I want to disable ( delete ? ) this files or make polygon to exclude default one and save autogen.
If I succed I will create my flatten polygon or exclusion off certain shape of my choice.
How can I do it. In SBX or ADE? In SBX is option to exclude bounding box. Will it save default autogen and how to make it properly step by step.
I don`t need full explanation of vector shapes just simpliest method to get rid of default polygons.

Tkanks for any replies :)

Regards Rafael
as3.jpg

Country
us-illinois
Hi Rafael:

If you provide an airport ICAO / IATA, or Geographic coordinates for the area in question, I would be better able to offer a work-flow for this. ;)

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

I am not certain if a BGLComp XML Airport Boundary defined in a default APxxxx.BGL is always identical to a SHP2VEC CVX vector AB Polygon.

To visualize CVX vector Land Class polys extracted from BGLs, on top of a photo-real satellite imagery background map, use SBuilderX. :idea:

ID the [FS install path]\Scenery\ ...Area sub-folder number via:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#Base File Information

Read the top horizontal numbers first (Ex: 01), then read the vertical numbers (Ex: 01) to get all 4 digits of the Area number (Ex: 0101). :pushpin:

1630855614515.png

In SDK TMFViewer > File > Open > browse / select identified: [FS install path]\Scenery\dem{xxxx}.bgl > [Open] button

In SDK TMFViewer > Jump > Lat Long... > enter: Lat and Lon of airport in question > [OK] button

In SDK TMFViewer > Zoom in by pressing < + > key multiple times until Mouse cirsor no longer changes file# on bottom status bar

In SDK TMFViewer > File > Open > browse / select identified: [FS install path]\Scenery\cvx{file# on bottom status bar}.bgl > [Open] button

If the AB Polygon location is correct in the P3D version targeted for development, that is the CVX file to be extracted to *.SHP via CvxExtractor

If you would like more detailed info on how to 'Append' this CvxExtractor extracted *.SHP into SBuilderX, feel free to inquire further. ;)

To use ADE for local Land Class mods to default or OrbX FTX replacement Land Class scenery, please also see Jim Vile's tutorial: :teacher:

You may wish to review the ADE Manual (the PDF for version 1.65 covers most features through 1.79x):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8rp6jr7en9xwdls

See: 9.2.5 Exclusion Polygons - beginning on Page 135

Exclude and then Replace. :pushpin:

PS: If you develop for P3D in FSX (which many of us still do in order to utilize scenery utilities that do not run inside P3D ;)), try a IS3 demo:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
poland
Hi. Thanks for help. I found that my airport polygons and objects has bounding box that prevent autogen to pop up. It`s not default polyogons. I think best solution is make photoscenery and annotator or scenprosc or place objects once again with option in MCX to prevent autogen exclusion. Am I right ?

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

AFAIK, G-Polys by default do exclude Autogen; there are reportedly tweaks to 'minimize' that impact (...which conflict with shadow suppression). ;)

I would use MCX to export a 3D G-Poly as a flat / level 3D model in P3Dv2.x or later MDL format (requires Z-Bias Material 'functionality' and "No Z Write" checked on the mapped texture image Material in MCX Material Editor). :idea:

Arno has supported this feature in the MCX G-Poly Wizard since July 2016, but only on P3Dv2.x or later MDLs exported as G-Polys. :wizard:

Just be certain that the required versions of the P3D SDK are installed in MCX before importing a 3D model (they are free, and can all co-exist):

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/prepar3d-v2-sdk.228/

https://www.prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

I would NOT use MCX to export a G-Poly as a flat / level 3D model in SCASM / ASM or FSX MDL format, as SCASM / ASM 3D model display attributes are more limited, and FSX MDLs are subject to flickering issues that can only be partly minimized.

G-Polys as 3D models also can have a mix of other features / display attributes unlike a custom custom photo-real land class BGL. :pushpin:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Z-Bias+fucntionality+Prepar3D+P3D+version&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=UCA1Ybn7LdPQtQa1poDIAw&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Z-Bias+fucntionality+Prepar3D+P3D+version&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6DggAEIAEELEDEIMBELADOggIABCABBCwAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQsAM6BwgAELADEEM6DgguEMgDELADEJECEJMCOgsILhDIAxCwAxCRAjoUCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQowIQyAMQsAM6EQguEIAEELEDEIMBEMgDELADOg4ILhCxAxCDARDIAxCwAzoICAAQgAQQsQM6DgguELEDEIMBEMcBEKMCOgQIABBDOgsILhCABBDHARCjAjoFCAAQgAQ6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBEKMCOggILhCxAxCDAToOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQ0QM6DQguEMcBENEDEEMQkwI6CwguEIAEEMcBEK8BOgUILhCABDoECC4QQzoLCC4QgAQQsQMQgwE6CAguEIAEELEDOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToICAAQsQMQgwE6CgguEMcBENEDEEM6BwgAELEDEEM6CwguEIAEEMcBENEDOhEILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAhCTAkoFCDgSATFKBAhBGAFQ9A1YosADYJ_JA2gBcAB4AIABjgGIAaslkgEENjUuM5gBAKABAaABAsgBD8ABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwi54-CizujyAhVTaM0KHTUTADkQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

However, If you do have good quality satellite imagery available, a custom custom photo-real land class BGL is another (limited) option.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
poland
Gary thanks ! I resolve my problem with polys now I have objects 3d in MDL and it`s possible as I know and read in posts few minutes ago. There is a tip to prevent autogen exclusion to add in xml file below script:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData
version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">
<SceneryObject
lat="*"
lon="*"
alt="0.0M"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="0"
imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<NoAutogenSuppression/>
<LibraryObject
name="{GUID}"
scale="1.00"
/>
</SceneryObject>
</FSData>

( by Billy Womack )

How am I suppose to extract xml file from mdl and compile it again. I know it`s basics but it`s been long time since I had something in common with desgning scenery and forgot some things.

Country
us-illinois
Are you asking how to place this 3D model for use in P3D ?

If so, MCX has a placement wizard accessed from the icon toolbar.

After placement parameters are entered, MCX can output a 3D model as a hybrid P3D scenery BGL containing both the 3D model and placement code.

If necessary, that BGL can be decompiled with Scruffyduck BGL2XML so that the XML can be edited.

After any edits are done in the XML, that XML file can be drag-and-dropped onto P3D SDK BGLComp.exe to re-compile a BGL.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
poland
Something is wrong and I don`t understad it. I`ve just delete all files I thing concerning original airport APX, BRX, OBX, CVX and mu airport as well and this is what I saw square bare terrain in the middle of city without autogen. What might it be... it`s not flat land class ? Don`t know what to do. I want my airport to be surrouned with default autogen :( Can`t rid off autogen exclusion in any way. I wil read more about it. Bounding box don`t exclude nighter default airport background....

Country
us-illinois
Something is wrong and I don`t understand it.

I've just delete(d) all files I thing (think) concerning original airport APX, BRX, OBX, CVX and my airport as well and this is what I saw:

square bare terrain in the middle of city without autogen.

Please explain whether you meant:

* "(A) square (of) bare terrain"

Did you 'disable' BGL files by first making a ZIP backup, then re-naming- or deleting- the actual original P3D default BGL files in:

{P3Dv4 install path]\Scenery\0802\

* APX66170.BGL
* BRX66170.BGL
* CVX66170.BGL
* OBX66170.BGL

Did you not use Exclude CVX vector polygon(s) instead ? :oops:

If so, you likely prevented P3D from rendering terrain objects for the entire LOD-5 Area:

uttt_p3dv4_0802_66170_dem_cvx_lod-5_sdk_tmfviewer-jpg.76717

If so, please re-enable / restore the original P3D default BGL files cited above, and utilize CVX vector exclude polygons instead. :alert:

< Please edit your post above, and attach a screenshot of the problem there >

What might it be... it`s not flat land class ?

Don`t know what to do.

I want my airport to be surrounded with default autogen :(

Can`t rid off autogen exclusion in any way.

I will read more about it.

Bounding box don`t exclude nighter default airport background....

Would you please explain what you meant by "Bounding box don`t exclude nighter default airport background...." :scratchch

After reviewing / following procedures in Jim Vile's tutorial, you should have Excluded / Replaced any desired AB / other ...land class polygons.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...on-rectangles-work-differently-in-p3d.436607/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/landclass-visibility-problem.15173/

Next one would troubleshoot exclusion of default Autogen by any Exclusion Rectangles set to exclude 'All objects'

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/rectangle-exclude-and-autogen.448356/

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+Exclusion+Rectangles+All+objects+default+autogen&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=tDE2YZPPOcrctQa-4JjYCA&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+Exclusion+Rectangles+All+objects+default+autogen&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EANKBAhBGAFQuMIBWPXlAWC37QFoAXAAeACAAVCIAbYIkgECMTaYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiT-dz_0uryAhVKbs0KHT4wBosQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

Then ones task would be to troubleshoot exclusion of default Autogen by any G-Polys:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+G-Poly+autogen&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=1DE2YZp41LG1Bs3WruAH&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+G-Poly+autogen&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAxKBAhBGAFQt-8FWK6XB2DunwdoAXAAeAGAAYMBiAHeHJIBBDM3LjaYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiassWO0-ryAhXUWM0KHU2rC3wQ4dUDCA4

PS: If you use a custom photo-real imagery land class BGL, you have less complexity to deal with than is imposed by land class BGLs / G-Polys. ;)

GaryGB

Attachments

• UTTT_P3Dv4_0802_66170_DEM_CVX_LOD-5_SDK_TMFViewer.jpg
    UTTT_P3Dv4_0802_66170_DEM_CVX_LOD-5_SDK_TMFViewer.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Country
poland
Hi there ! I applied AB flatten MaskCLassmap to recover terrain if I undestood. When I said about bounding box I meant that all objects in my scenery has one so I made few changess to minimalize autogen suppresion by my objects and polygon. To be clear I want default autogen to pop up even on the runway and then applie my polygon flatten and exclude autogen I don`t need. Here is image what I did. I`ve delete all files APX CVX BRX OBJ of default scenry by accident will try to revert it somehow if needed and insted use polygons.

Attachments

• Przechwytywanie.JPG
    Przechwytywanie.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 78
Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

Would you please explain what you meant by "Bounding box don`t exclude nighter default airport background...." :scratchch

The AB CVX vector poly shown above has the correct GUID to leave Autogen intact. ;)

But, if you did not make a backup of your default P3D files cited above, you may need to repair or re-install P3D v4. :oops:

GaryGB

Country
poland
Yes I`m about to reinstall P3D "Bounding box don`t exclude nighter default airport background" sorry for mistake. I meant that nothing in my scenery don`t exclude default autogen as well as ABX CVX BRX OBJ files od default airport.
I have an idea :) If I would send you an airport and have some spare time you could fix it ( propably within few minutes) and figure aut what was wrong and then explaind me what was going on. Sorry for my english sometimes I`m not clear I know. Don`t know if you have P3D V4.5 though it should work in any P3D version.

Attachments

• 2021-9-6_19-51-49-991.jpg
    2021-9-6_19-51-49-991.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Country
poland
Previously I used bglcomp2002 .x files and tweak ASM file . It works for ground poygons to preserve autogen..

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

Those are legacy FS2002 / FS8 style G-Polys that have limited display features , but which do otherwise have a "true" Z-Bias parameter 3D model.

While these do still work AFAIK, even in P3Dv5.x, most FS developers now want to utilize environmental attributes and PBR for G-Polys in P3D.

Yes I`m about to reinstall P3D "Bounding box don`t exclude nighter default airport background" sorry for mistake.

I meant that nothing in my scenery don`t exclude(s) default autogen, as well as (and AFAIK, neither does any) ABX CVX BRX OBJ files of (the) default airport.

I have an idea :)

If I would send you an airport, and (if you) have some spare time, you could fix it (probably within few minutes) and figure out what was wrong, and then explain to me what was going on.

Sorry for my English sometimes I`m not clear, I know.

Don`t know if you have P3D V4.5, though it should work in any P3D version.

BTW: Sorry, but my available free time would not be sufficient to go into an extensive depth of inquiry that I normally insist upon. :oops:

Knowing that you have previously been successful in making detailed and properly functioning FS scenery in the past, I am inclined to offer 'occasional' feedback based on what you post here in the public forums, to assist you (and others) with being successful in your project(s).

Because you did not answer my question initially regarding which airport was the basis for this project, I assumed you may have been considering this as a possible payware project as it evolves; in such cases, I prefer to access information shared only in a public domain. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
poland
OK Thanks Gary. I forgot to mention about region. It`s Tashkent UTTT airport in Uzbekistan. Thanks for assist. I will post when succes with ths issue. Have also read litlle more and it takes some time. Thank you agan :)

Country
poland
I think problem is with alltitude with exclusions polygons. I have not solve this problem since now. I remember I added .ALT file to my scenery 4 years ago and can`t remember what for. Somoebody with simple answer for simple problem ?

Country
us-illinois
I think problem is with altitude with exclusions polygons. I have not solve this problem since now. I remember I added .ALT file to my scenery 4 years ago and can`t remember what for. Somebody with simple answer for simple problem ?

Hi Rafael:

The _ALT BGL file created by ADE, is a "stub" airport file which modifies the ARP altitude value for an airport.

When used, these BGLs are placed into / loaded from:

[FSX /P3D install path]\Scenery\World\Scenery sub- folder

The new ADE online Help site is here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-2020-on-line-help.453422/

You may also wish to review these threads for further information:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ADE+_ALT+file&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=0EBfYbT1C8rk5NoPhcGl6A8&ved=0ahUKEwi0neOV-7jzAhVKMlkFHYVgCf0Q4dUDCA0&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ADE+_ALT+file&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAxKBAhBGAFQzPEHWMP0B2CrhwhoAXAAeACAAVqIAZoBkgEBMpgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

GaryGB