• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Experiences with FS2004 aircraft import/export

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Really weird, I see one place in the code that might have an effect on this, I'll change that bit. But since I can't reproduce it here anymore I'm not sure if that will fix it.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I understand, not all quirks can be fixed. It’s a quick change in the attached objects editor, no big deal.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Still it annoys me that there must be a bug in the code somewhere and that I can't find it :D

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You remind me of myself when I end up working for hours on something I “need” to get right. 😎😎

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Test 3: FS9 AI High Quality DC-6B to FSX (named gp for the original author, the late Greg Pepper)
All appears correct except for the still props - they are displaced. You can see this if you load the FSX model into MCX. FS9 model and the FSX conversion attached.

Textures are the same as the flyable DC-6B.

Attachments

• aidc6b_gp.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Test 3: FS9 High Quality AI DC-6B to FSX (continued).

I think I found the issue with the displaced props, etc. in this conversion.

When the FS9 model is loaded into MCX, it assigns userdefine8 to the prop blades, crew door, and the passenger airstairs. I assume this is causing issues.

These object's animations are "left over" from the original flyable model this AI model is based on. I just changed the name of these parts, which inactivates the animation in FS9.

Fixing these undefined animations in the Animation Editor eliminated these problems, when reloaded into MCX and in FSX.

I would delete the attached file but I don't know how to do that.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tom,

Good to read you fixed that one. Yes, having animations that XtoMDL does not know can indeed give such issues. That's why they are shown in red/pink in the animation editor. Maybe I should make more clear on export that such animations are present.

Country
us-virginia
Hey Arno,

I wanted to follow up with you on my last post regarding the SBAI TU-160 not compiling correctly with parts twisted and weird animations... It happened for me again today on the NBAI Tomcat this time... It removed the wing leading edge slats, and twisted them to a weird position as you can see in this screenshot... Any idea what is causing this? Both of these aircraft compile and work just fine with the stable version... I would call this a major glitch...
NBAI Tomcat.JPG

Attachments

• NBAI_F14_Tomcat_Dry.zip
    690.3 KB · Views: 29

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

This is the same problem I had with my passenger door. The leading edge flap part has both Position and Rotation animations, and MCX has placed them on separate nodes. If I Copy the Rotation animation on the leading edge ModelPart and Paste it into the SceneGraphNode above it (so both animations are on the SGN) and then delete the animation on the ModelPart, the flap is not displaced when exported to FSX. This works for both the left and right wings. I assume the other parts have a similar problem?

To copy an animation right click on the word Animation and choose Copy Animation. To paste it right click on the SGN and choose Paste Animation or Transformation. To delete an animation right click the word Animation and choose Delete Animation.

I realize that Arno will probably want to fix this issue, but I thought I would let you know the apparent reason.

Hope this helps,

Country
us-virginia
I mean I know how to copy and paste animations... In both cases I wasn't actually doing anything to the parts in question (gear on TU-160; slats on F-14) but rather working with other attributes of the models... and in both cases the models I was working with were already in P3d format... I find it weird that MCX stable would not give me this problem but MCX dev does... Today I was continuing my unhealthy obsession with the Tomcat and creating early A (ecm only chin pod no nose probe) and late A (TCS chin pod and TF30 exhaust) versions... In the TU-160 I was adding object-based afterburners to a P3d model... In the Tu-160 I never touched the landing gear and today I didn't touch the slats...

Attachments

• F-14A early.JPG
    F-14A early.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 32
  • F-14A late.JPG
    F-14A late.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 34
Country
germany
Arno is touching various parts in MCX that interact with each other, therefore it can very well be that things which worked in the last stable version shows an issue today.

When this exercise is over, the whole application will be on anther level.

Send from mobile hence short

Country
unitedkingdom
After getting to grips with MCX and converting for a couple of weeks. I thought that I would give a mini review of what I was doing and what I found.

Firstly, I have to say that generally I was able to use the tool to achieve what I wanted.

I have just completed a bit of a marathon task to convert 122x mdls from P3D to FS9. All achieved successfully.
What I found I needed to do for each mdl was alter the modeldef.xml to get the flaps to activate on LIGHT BEACON activation with the gear down. As I stated some time ago it seems that the FS9 compiler does not seem to like 'and'. I got around it by amending 'and' to '*' this time.
Once saved, I then had to reload the saved mdl so that the textures were in the correct state for the Material Editor. What I found was that the default of 'Blend' does not work if you have a lightmap. I had to set it to 'AddictiveNightOnlyUserControlled' for the lightmap to work. I also needed to copy the Diffuse texture to the Specular texture to avoid sections of the models becoming transparent at Dusk.
A bit time consuming but once you work out the correct procedure the results were exactly what was required.

Now back to some original testing that I was doing. Both FSX to FS9 conversions.
The Il-38 had two main issues starboard outer engine was transparent when high power was supplied and there was no shadow at all made by the aircraft.
Both of these things I was able to fix. The prop was caused by the original model not having the visibility conditions and animations set to the same name for each engine. For example engine0 had a visibilty condition set to prop0_blurred but the animation set to prop0_slow. Ensured that all engines were paired up properly and that solved that.
The shadow issue was again solved by copying the Diffuse texture name to the Specular texture parm.

Now to the one abject failure I have had so far. The HS Andover.
Now the fact that the same error happens on seemingly all the FSX models by this modeller says that maybe part of the issue is down to his technique or style.
When I load the FSX mdl the two still props are directly under the master SGN with visibility conditions of prop0_still and prop1_still. No animations.

However, when you export the mdl it created an SGN child under the master SGN and assigns the _still parts under that. The parts do not have an animation assigned but the parent SGN does of either prop0_still or prop1_still according to the engine.
The effect of this is that when you move the animation slider in MCX the still props rotate 360 degs, horizontally, around the aircraft centre point. The _slow and _blur animations are correct.
Now if I remove the animation and transformation fields from the parent SGN then the still props stay stationary. Magic! export the model. Import the model and the problem is back because the fields in the SGN are back.

I even tried to just move the parts out the parent SGN and back to the master SGN. This also worked - until exported. On import they were back under the annoying child SGN again.

I don't know why the compiler moves the parts in the first place and why it stubborn rejects any alterations to be saved after that.

In essence a success story but with this one annoying flaw. Now whether it is a flaw on my part that I can't seem to see or a glitch in the MCX matrix - I am unable to say.
Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Country
us-virginia
Is anyone else having frequent crashes with the 11 Feb Dev version? I am doing another bulk round of Tomcat updates and seems like it crashes every time I go to open a new model....

MCX Dev Crash.JPG

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
at System.Linq.Enumerable.OfType[TResult](IEnumerable source)
at ASToFra.Object.Renderer.Renderer3D.SetCommonShaderUniforms()
at ASToFra.Object.Renderer.Renderer3D.RenderScene(Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
at ASToFra.Object.Renderer.Renderer3D.Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at OpenTK.GLControl.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.8.9181.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ModelConverterX
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.7.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ModelConverterX.exe
ASToFra.ErrorHandler
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.ErrorHandler.DLL
ASToFra.Interfaces
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Interfaces.DLL
ASToFra.Texture.Reader
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Texture.Reader.DLL
ASToFra.Object.DataModel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Object.DataModel.DLL
ASToFra.Object.Reader
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Object.Reader.DLL
ASToFra.Object.Writer
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Object.Writer.DLL
ASToFra.Object.Renderer
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Object.Renderer.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.8.9181.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.8.9220.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.8.9037.0 built by: NET481REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
ASToFra.Texture.Object
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Texture.Object.DLL
ASToFra.Texture.Writer
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Texture.Writer.DLL
ASToFra.Object.Processor
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Object.Processor.DLL
ASToFra.Utils
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Utils.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.8.9220.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
ASToFra.MapRenderer
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.MapRenderer.DLL
ASToFra.Geometry
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.Geometry.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
ASToFra.FSUtils
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.FSUtils.DLL
ASToFra.EventLog
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.EventLog.DLL
OpenTK.GLControl
Assembly Version: 3.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/OpenTK.GLControl.DLL
OpenTK
Assembly Version: 3.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/OpenTK.DLL
ASToFra.ParticleEffects
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.ParticleEffects.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/Interop.WMPLib.DLL
ASToFra.LicenseHelper
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.LicenseHelper.DLL
Portable.Licensing
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/Portable.Licensing.DLL
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
AssimpNet
Assembly Version: 5.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 5.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/AssimpNet.DLL
ASToFra.XPUtils
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ASToFra.XPUtils.DLL
lib3ds.Net
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.15346
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/lib3ds.Net.DLL
ObjectListView
Assembly Version: 2.9.1.25410
Win32 Version: 2.9.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users//Documents/p3d/MCX/Dev%20version/ObjectListView.DLL
System.Drawing.Design
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing.Design/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.Design.dll
System.Design
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have not seen those, seems to be an error in the preview. I don't think it is model related or does it only happen with specific models?

Country
germany
That could explain several sudden crashes in my AIAE beta group that I can’t figure out why they happen.

Send from mobile hence short

Country
unitedkingdom
I can tell you that I can get a crash every time I load an mdl IF I already have the Attached Object Editor open.
It is annoying when you are on a roll. You export after a change, then import back again to check and crash!