• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Failed to open project xml

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
For what - that message is no use without some context. Is it ADE, The build tool or Dev Mode? Screenshots might help

Country
us-northcarolina
Sorry Jon...

Thanks,
BobM.

Attachments

• 68.JPG
    68.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 112

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This looks like the project and package xml files may be corrupt. Try loading the project and saving it - you may need to make it dirty to enable save Open something for edit and save it) This should force ADE to regenerate the xml files

This is a project.xml file in the main project folder and the contents should look like this

1630336468048.png

This specifies where the package XML file should be (Package Definitions\egcw-welshpool.xml

1630336548188.png

Check that these look correct. Also I need to ask whether you accidentally edited any of the path settings in the Project Properties dialog

1630336738824.png

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
1630336845299.png

Looking at it again the package definition XML can't be opened. That could be because it does not exist, because it is opened by another app or it is corrupted

Country
us-northcarolina
This is what I got... The last pic is the project directory....because it didn't open the xml..i don't have the folders..etc..is that right?

Attachments

• 69.JPG
    69.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 70.JPG
    70.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 59
  • MSFS-KINT-08242021.txt
    358 bytes · Views: 72
  • 71.JPG
    71.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK so the root folder for the project is empty of the sub folders and has no PackageDefinitions folder etc? All I can say is that the project appears to be completely broken since those folders are created by ADE when you create the project.

Do you make backups of your projects or do you have a general backup program that backs up your data folders regularly? If so then you might be able to recover the project, otherwise you may need to start again. I can't explain why the folders would go missing since I have never seen that.

Do a Project Backup: http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/ProjectBackup.html and either post it here or make it available for me to download

Country
us-northcarolina
Thanks Jon for looking at this....The one that we originally talked about won't make a back up.. The one I am sending it wouldn't make a backup either..so I zipped it up..Its the closest to a final at this moment lol. When I try to use the UMM...it say it can't find the BGL and to manually look for it. I have reinstalled ADE and I also notice there is no user data (lib data..i think) entry in one of the package folders..don't remember....

Also there are no entries in the app data folder under ScruffyDuck

here's the download link....https://mega.nz/file/ilBB0A4I#oR6_Hq0UY1TkFWohq0p6PdQnvDjUCY2bHai-PsA0tgE

Thanks Jon..sorry this is so screwed up.

BobM

Attachments

• 72.JPG
    72.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 73.JPG
    73.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 52

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - give me a bit of time. ADE 2020 does not add data to the app data folders so they are not part of the issue#

the UMM can't find the bgl probably because the build failed and a build is needed to generate the bgl and populate the UMM

Country
us-northcarolina
OK - give me a bit of time. ADE 2020 does not add data to the app data folders so they are not part of the issue#

the UMM can't find the bgl probably because the build failed and a build is needed to generate the bgl and populate the UMM
Thanks Jon....I have been watching videos and am a little or a lot confused but if you look at the ade display..the bottom parking area..(parking for 15 aircraft) I am using blue (taxi link) "0" width and green apron link and it has the little yellow curves at the node for I guess turning right or left..is that right.?........because I haven't had an aircraft to show up yet in that parking lot....

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I had no problem loading the project into ADE 2020 and building it. I am seeing the problem with no modelLib.bgl file but I have proven that the airport compiles and can be read back from the bgl. I will investigate a bit further

Country
us-northcarolina
I had no problem loading the project into ADE 2020 and building it. I am seeing the problem with no modelLib.bgl file but I have proven that the airport compiles and can be read back from the bgl. I will investigate a bit further
Thanks Jon :)

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There is a problem with one of your custom models which is causing the build to fail. It is sco_gen_checkershed, The xml refers to 3 LOD models

1630417396310.png

But as far as I can see these are not present in the source folder

1630417438673.png

I removed those and the build worked and the UMM loaded

1630417473508.png

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Basically after removing the bad custom model and building the UMM I was able to place custom models and build the project without error

Note that I also changed the way the custom model source was laid out by having each model in its own sub folder.

1630417999429.png

rather than all in the one folder. I seem to recall that there were some issues with having all the models lumped together in one folder but I am not sure if that still holds

Country
us-northcarolina
Basically after removing the bad custom model and building the UMM I was able to place custom models and build the project without error

Note that I also changed the way the custom model source was laid out by having each model in its own sub folder.

View attachment 76519
rather than all in the one folder. I seem to recall that there were some issues with having all the models lumped together in one folder but I am not sure if that still holds
Thank you Jon... can you upload it to me? unc1rlm at gee male dot com or give me a download link?

Country
us-northcarolina
Regarding models that have multiple lods since that is the way they are MCX'd...I tried importing them (checkershed) into Blender and creating one gltf/one xml and one BIN...(after exporting) . and put it in the model lib folder that way but the error msg would show in the build but in order to add it.. what would you recommend? I used the backup and it says completed but it doesn't show up..suppose to be in the root of Projects?

Thanks,
BobM.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This is a backup zip of the project which worked on my computer and has the bad user model removed