• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA fencebuilder- how?

A little progress. I configed compiler helper correctly- point to bglcomp.

instructs given- drag and droip a xml file onto bglcomp. which one?
#5. drag and drop edited, saved sml (assume the one I am working with) onto compiler helper.

I did that and got this error- finally- that I can read. See attachment. Bob
 

Attachments

at: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=547884&postcount=17

4.) In Windows Explorer, Drag and Drop a *.XML file into FSX BGL compiler SDK folder (at location described above).

5.) In Windows Explorer, Drag and Drop that *.XML file onto the CompileHelper.exe icon

'CompileHelper Output' dialog then appears with ex: "Parse complete!" status (...or other explanatory error messages).

Hi Bob:

IIUC, the parsing error generated by BGLComp (via CompileHelper's message window) suggests, IMHO, that you may have a failure to create the new file (Elma_Fence.BGL), probably because of Windows' "over-protective do-wop B.S." ...which has been implemented for all folders located in what Windows Vista and Windows-7 regard as "system" folder chains under its security aegis.


I'd try setting the compatibility options for BGLComp.exe to "Windows XP" compatibility mode, or move your *XML to *.BGL compilation tests from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\

...into another location, in a "work" folder OUTSIDE the original main installation folder for the BGLComp SDK on your computer.


As previously mentioned, be sure that "work" folder contains BOTH "BglComp.exe" and "bglcomp.xsd" files (or BGLComp will not work when attempting to compile a *.XML file).

Keep up the good work... you're getting closer; hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Sorry but I could get any fences, problably my fault, I can't compile directly from Fencebuilder, but could compile the files, I have all the fsx stuff on D: drive.
 
Tejal and everyone- Just now what I did-

1. put my xmlo in the sdk where bglcomp is.
2. drug it over bglcomp- nada.... drug it over compilehelper- got that error message... at least I could see the message this time.

3. next- on a whim I left the xlm file there but I have a copy in a 'work' folder on desktop. I also have a shortcut to compile helper.

4. I drug the xml copy from work folder over to shortcut for compilehelper and bingo!!!! I got my bgl!!!!!!!!!

5. I can't seem to get a bgl from fencebuilder either but if ti work sthis way at least we're onto something.

6. Went to look at my fence after I installed the fence bgl in the scenery- fence sections arfe better than last time but still not good so I am trying to learn how to face my place.

also- FS9 trans problem- can't see through the fence to the proper background. <---- usual problem. Modelcon will not open my fence bgl so I can't fix it from there. Bob
 
Just remembered there is a library from fencebuilder. no textures- relized thee is a texture- fence_CW_bmp. Put that in then opened ModelCon and the 17 fence parts show properly. the alpha shows - greater and its numbers, but my fences still show as a bad alpha. Maybe if I recompile now that I have the texture in it might work.

If this works then next is learning how to get the fence sections connected. Bob
 
That's right, I have to guess how this work indeed, but making a stright line with no changing heights is no a problem.
About the fences Fencebuilder had two libraries one for Fs9 and the other for Fsx, could be have something to do. it's said you can change the libraries with other objects. regards.
 
New syle button gives you a different fence. I tried the FSX.dat but saw no change - I think I missunderstood how to change the dat file.

Supposed to change it and put the change into the active scenery folder? Anyway I thought I chose the FSX model. Guess not.

I did open the fence library in Modelcon. I chose a fence part.... material ed... shows trans ok BUT- I went and set the default trans anyway and applied. This change the trans from about 47 or so to 128. I exported that piece as a test and then added the mdl to my own library. Bingo! nice see-through fence - ala- FSX.

I went and place a few sections just for fun.... but that's cheating! :) I still can't get the fence sections to line up.

So I guess where I am at right now is to get the right dat file changed so the default alpha shows right, and also learn how to keep the sections lined up and connected.

I'll bet the other guys are laughing like crazy right now! Bwahahahaha! Bob
 
I'll bet the other guys are laughing like crazy right now! Bwahahahaha! Bob

Hi Bob:

FenceBuilder is a rather unique utility with a considerable degree of complexity, patience, and practice required for someone to use the "Fence Building Mode", and derive its remarkable and equally unique results.... (yep, initially challenging even for one of its Beta Testers !). ;)

So, IMHO, you deserve to feel proud of your progress; if I were to laugh, it would only be a friendly chuckle at those who haven't yet even TRIED FenceBuilder, or perhaps to chuckle at the thought of those who only briefly tried to use FenceBuilder, but gave up prematurely without "going the full distance" ...as you have so diligently done here. :)


FenceBuilder makes a wealth of features accessible for FS scenery building that might otherwise be difficult or impossible to achieve, if Don Grovestine had not put so much creative and skilled programming into that very special utility. :wizard:



(Gratuitous links to product details and illustrations by an appreciative, non-compensated end user !)


http://silvercloud-store.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29780

http://secure.simmarket.com/fsaddon-fencebuilder-pro.phtml



PUBLISHER HOMEPAGE: http://www.fsaddon.com/

FORUM/FAQ: http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/?page_id=1055/

FILESIZE: 14MB

DEMO DOWNLOAD: http://online.simmarket.com/1/FenceBuilderPro-demo.exe

Manual: http://online.simmarket.com/fsaddon/FenceBuilderQuick-StartManual.pdf

REQUIREMENTS: FSX, FSX SP2/Accelleration, FS2004, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7



Bob
: IMHO, you deserve to feel proud of your persistence, and I'm confident that you'll soon achieve your goal in both FS9 and FSX with FenceBuilder in "Fence Building Mode". :cool:


Stay the course... you're almost there ! :D

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Gary- Thanx for the kind words. I do feel I'm gittin' there. :) Wish the interface was easier.

I think I mentioined above I need to figure out which dat file to use so I get fencing I can properly see through, and figure out how to keep the fence pieces connected. Bob
 
Hi Bob:

Be sure you have the latest updates to FenceBuilder Pro (aka "FBP" Demo version installed; these can be downloaded from the "archived" FSAddon FBP support forum here: ;)

http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewtopic.php?t=2742



Other topics of interest to FBP users may be found via the FBP forum index: :idea:

http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewforum.php?f=41



FYI: The most recent "active" version of the FSAddon FBP support forum is here:

http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/?page_id=1055/fence-builder-pro-support



PS: As explained on Page 8 and Page 9 in the FBP "User Manual-V2.pdf" document at:

[EDITED]

[FSX install path]\FSAddon\FenceBuilder Pro DEMO\User Manual-V2.pdf:


[END_EDIT]


"3.3 Project Folders

Upon creating a project, a sub-folder named for that project will appear in the Projects folder. This folder will contain all the files specific to a particular project, specifically:

  • projectname.ini, which allows you to easily continue from one session to the next, even if a different project was worked on during the intervening period,
  • projectname_Style.dat, holding the project parameters,
  • projectname_Placement.dat, holding the placement information,

  • if you select the option (check Settings / Save Data in Text Format), the placement data in text format (for troubleshooting), and
  • two subfolders named Models_FS9 and Models_FSX for the obvious purpose.


Once a project is compiled, two additional files will appear:
  • projectname_fsver.xml, the project XML file, and
  • projectname_fsver.bgl, the compiled XML for use with Flight Simulator.

In these file names, "fsver" will be FS9 or FSX, as applicable. (Only the XML and compiled files are version-specific.)


Quoted from:

FenceBuilder Pro V2 User Manual (Publicly available FBP Demo Version)
©2009-2010 FSAddon Publishing & Don Grovestine


NOTE: Examination of ex: [FSX install path]\FSAddon\FenceBuilder Pro DEMO\Style Files\Chain Link Fence.sty in Windows NotePad shows:

"Length_Nom=3.048
Height_Main=1.148
Height_Upper=0.0
Width_Main_Bottom=0.0
Width_Main_Top=0.0
Width_Upper_Bottom=0.0
Width_Upper_Top=0.0
Dist_Main=0
Dist_Upper=0
TI_Upper_Top=-1.00
TI_Upper_Bottom=-1.00
TI_Main_Top=.750
TI_Main_Bottom=-1.00
TI_Upper_Left=-1.00
TI_Upper_Right=-1.00
TI_Main_Left=-1.00
TI_Main_Right=-1.00
Post_Width=0.075
Post_Posn=R
ToTopAtLOD=False
Texture=
fence_CL_Low
Texture_Upper=
NoShadow=True
"

Examination of graphical attributes for the ex: fence_CL_Low texture file(s) may help sort out what file is to be used for FS9 versus FSX ...to work around transparency issues.

In [FSX install path]\FSAddon\FenceBuilder Pro DEMO\Textures we see there are (2) fence_CL_Low texture files:

fence_CL_Low.bmp <-- Use *.BMP for FS9

...and

fence_CL_Low.dds <-- Use *.DDS for FSX


Hope this helps a bit more ! :)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Gary- I am still working with FenceBuilder only, not the Pro version, yet. I need to see if I can work this thing well enough to buy it later. Bob
 
Hi Bob:

All the info I posted in my last post above:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=551536&postcount=31

...is purposely based on a fresh installation of the DEMO version of FenceBuilder to be sure we are both "on the same page". :idea:

My "FenceBuilder Pro" and "FBP" references are out of habit on my part from the Beta, and IIUC, on Don's part too, as it was likely easier for him and Francois to just include the "User Manual-V2.pdf" manual from the full payware version with the Demo (instead of making extensive edits of the original RTM manual for purposes of the Demo version).


NOTE: Don refers to the Demo as the "FenceBuilder Pro Demo" in the above linked thread on accessing the updated files for the "Demo" version:

http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewtopic.php?t=2742



So, AFAIK, you should not find any info in my post(s) to this thread... which would not apply to the "FBP" Demo. ;)


Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Back
Top