• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Flat paint on a polished metallic surface?

Country
unitedstates
I'm creating a static aircraft for airport scenery that is painted on polished aluminum skin. My problem is that while it looks correct in Blender, the model is either all metallic or all flat once imported to MSFS.

bd0d23d6d16f13190f72663fd639efb3.jpg

Country
italy
How did you set up the material/materials?

You can achieve the effect you want in several ways, most efficient is using standard msfs material with comp (ambient occlusion+roughness+metallic) texture
For the whole aircraft

Or you can use multiple materials and each own can have their metallic/roughness values

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
unitedstates
It's a single material for the fuselage textures, MSFS standard. I added the metallic texture through the nodes editor and connected metallic>metallic detail mix>metallic sep>metallic channel. I do struggle with nodes, so there's a chance I screwed something up there. I'm familiar with comp textures for aircraft liveries, but haven't done experimented with doing the same with static scenery. Will it behave the same?

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Among me, the best to do this:
- a texture reflective for metalic color
- decals with an other texture which can be flat

Country
australia
If you know how to make a comp texture already then it's most likely your material. A screenshot of the setup would make it 100% easier to diagnose the issue.

Here's one I prepared earlier (using the MSFS exporter). Notice the SplitOcclMetalRough that splits the image into RGB and sends them off to the appropriate destinations:

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 65
Country
unitedstates
Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions. Here is how it's currently setup.

Attachments

• blender_help.png
    blender_help.png
    924.1 KB · Views: 65
Country
australia
I think we'd need to see the comb texture to diagnose any further. It looks like your material is setup correctly. Does it behave as expected in Blender? One thing to double check is that you are exporting the MSFS custom properties. In the MSFS Multi-export this is under Settings - Include - Data - Custom Properties. You need those special custom properties to be ticked so the model includes the extra parameters for the MSFS materials.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks Anthony. It was behaving correctly in blender, but once imported to MSFS, it no longer behaved the way I wanted. That's when I shifted to trying to use the comp texture. The custom properties option is selected and I've attached the comp for review.

Attachments

• N3802D_COMP.png
    N3802D_COMP.png
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 56
Country
australia
I just loaded your texture into a simple sphere.

On setting up the MSFS material I had the image on the left. It seems, that for some reason, the Metallic and Roughness Factors, while set to 1.0 in the texture definition, were actually set to 0.0 in the shading setup. Simply moving the Factor sliders updated the information and the result was the second picture. This seems like a bit of a bug in the MSFS plugin where it's not setting up the default values correctly. It may have been fixed by now, I don't know what version they are on currently (EDIT: Just installed 1.1.6 and it looks like this has been fixed).

Which image more accurately reflects what you are seeing in Blender?

You can double check that your texture definition is being exported correctly in the .gltf file. Look for something like this:

Code:
       {
            "extras" : {
                "msfs_normal_texture" : {},
                "msfs_emissive_texture" : {},
                "msfs_detail_normal_texture" : {},
                "msfs_blend_mask_texture" : {},
                "msfs_show_tint" : 1,
                "msfs_show_sss_color" : 0,
                "msfs_show_glass_parameters" : 0,
                "msfs_show_decal_parameters" : 0,
                "msfs_show_fresnel_parameters" : 0,
                "msfs_show_parallax_parameters" : 0,
                "msfs_show_geo_decal_parameters" : 0,
                "msfs_show_albedo" : 1,
                "msfs_show_metallic" : 1,
                "msfs_show_normal" : 1,
                "msfs_show_emissive" : 1,
                "msfs_show_detail_albedo" : 1,
                "msfs_show_detail_metallic" : 1,
                "msfs_show_detail_normal" : 1,
                "msfs_show_blend_mask" : 1,
                "msfs_show_anisotropic_direction" : 0,
                "msfs_show_clearcoat" : 0,
                "msfs_show_behind_glass" : 0,
                "msfs_show_blend_mode" : 1,
                "msfs_show_draworder" : 1,
                "msfs_show_no_cast_shadow" : 1,
                "msfs_show_double_sided" : 1,
                "msfs_show_responsive_aa" : 0,
                "msfs_show_day_night_cycle" : 1,
                "msfs_show_collision_material" : 1,
                "msfs_show_road_material" : 1,
                "msfs_show_ao_use_uv2" : 1,
                "msfs_show_uv_clamp" : 1,
                "msfs_show_alpha_cutoff" : 1,
                "msfs_show_blend_threshold" : 1,
                "msfs_base_color_texture" : {
                    "name" : "atm_cockpit_3_doors.png",
                    "type" : "Image"
                },
                "msfs_occlusion_metallic_roughness_texture" : {
                    "name" : "atm_cockpit_3_doors_m.png",
                    "type" : "Image"
                },
                "msfs_detail_color_texture" : {},
                "msfs_detail_occlusion_metallic_roughness_texture" : {},
                "msfs_material_type" : 1,
                "msfs_base_color_factor" : [
                ],
                "msfs_emissive_factor" : [
                ],
                "msfs_metallic_factor" : 1.0,
                "msfs_roughness_factor" : 1.0
            },
            "name" : "atm_cockpit_3_doors",
            "occlusionTexture" : {
                "index" : 88
            },
            "pbrMetallicRoughness" : {
                "baseColorTexture" : {
                    "index" : 89
                },
                "metallicRoughnessTexture" : {
                    "index" : 88
                }
            }
        },

make sure the msfs_metallic_factor and msfs_roughness_factor are both set to 1.0

Last edited:
Country
australia
Pink checkered texture means the texture file is missing. You need to ensure that the pathway is set correctly in the Blender exporter. I have mine set to "..\texture" because I make aircraft. This means the model file gets put into the model folder and the textures are one folder up in the heirarchy and then back down into the texture folder (this can, of course, be overridden working with aircraft as the texture folders actually used are defined in the aircraft.cfg file). Ensure that this structure is the same as your scenery otherwise MSFS won't find the textures.

Country
unitedstates
Ok, so 1.1.6 did the trick! I didn't realize there was an official Blender2MSFS add on out there and was still using 0.40 from FSDeveloper resources. I'm not sure what the problem was, but the official 1.1.6 version sorted it all out, and I've got the aircraft in and displaying correctly.

Thanks everyone for the help!