• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Flight plans and waypoints

Country
unitedstates
When I use a AIFP to create flight plans, how does it know what the proper highways in the sky and approach paths are from airport to airport?

How does it know not to make flight plans that are just going to go from airport to airport in a straight line?

And if I want to change a waypoint to slightly change its approach path to an airport how do I do that within AIFP when putting together a flight plan?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
how does it know what the proper highways in the sky and approach paths are from airport to airport
An AI aircraft flies directly from sector boundary to sector boundary, or from sector boundary to the start of approach, or from end of takeoff to sector boundary. Where the approach starts or takeoff ends depends on whether you have selected IFR or VFR. The point at which the a/c crosses sector boundaries, and the time it should do so, is determined by the AIFP compiler based on a great circle route from origin to destination and the specified (in the flight plan) cruise speed of the aircraft . However, the aircraft only "flies" when in the same sector as the user aircraft or an adjacent sector.

Section 12 of the V3 User Manual (or section 4 of the V2 manual) gives more detail that may be of interest to you.

How does it know not to make flight plans that are just going to go from airport to airport in a straight line?
As noted above, AI doesn't actually fly the route except in the presence of the user aircraft - and then it flies a direct route.

if I want to change a waypoint to slightly change its approach path to an airport how do I do that within AIFP when putting together a flight plan?
You can't. To change the approach path you must revise the approach for the airport, i.e., you change the airport, not the flight plan.

Don