• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS flightsimulator.exe and dlls etc WHERE ?

Country
unitedstates
Basically, my question is -- "Where is Flightsimulator.exe" --- as named in Event logs etc, when there is a CTD etc etc.

Back in the days of FSX, it was more obvious. There was a FSX.exe and a mass of dlls -- That was FSX

So for MSFS, where is the actual program. ? Mot seen anyone discuss this on the Internet.

I therefore can only GUESS .. (Not done any serious Windows programming for over a decade !!)

My GUESS, is that all this is heavily encoded somewhere, and only exist as flightsimulator.exe in memory, after some DRM / Copy Protection /Anti Hacking process has determined that the APP can run, and has decoded it and loaded it into memory.

Are these DRM protected files(s) Hidden in some way, so the casual users cannot even see they them there, on their Hard Drive ?
I do not NEED to really know anything about this, just curious.

Country
us-ohio
It is all in a protected folder that you, the owner of the computer, don't have access to.

Country
unitedstates
Nice to know -- thanks ... so then will my backup program Acronis, have access to be able to back it all up every night ??? not that it really matters .. maybe a GOOD thing if it does not get backed up and waste backup space.
One would hope it can always be re-downloaded from the Cloud .. until such a day, that it can't :(
I do now have to wonder how many other "entities" are putting "stuff" on my PC, that I have no know;edge of, cannot see, or cannot manage / delete ?
A scary new World, where the user is completely out of the control loop, and has to TRUST that the Microsofts of this world are not taking advanage of the situation -- at least not at the moment .

hey WarpD -- ever notice how both our Avatars seem to have that same discontented facial expression ? :p

Last edited: