• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Fragmented Uv_Unwrap

Country
spain
Having a building to texture, when applied the unwrap edit, this show too fragmented, I made this building with Sketchup and imported to Max, I want the entire building in a texture sheet, and so his UV map, how can be fixed, or can this be done
On the way, I want to know if I can get all the uvmaps of diferent objects of the same scene to be Unwrapped and edit in the same frame together, that is the idea.:confused::cool: (see pic)

Attachments

• uv_unwrap edit.jpg
    uv_unwrap edit.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Hey Bernardo,

Is that Max 2012? The Plannar UVW map looks like 2012. If so, you can stitch all of those pieces together (within reason) if they are mostly flat, sharing same directions, or folded neatly like an unfolded box.

You can create a hot key for Stitch which works faster, then click on edges and click Stitch and the part will jump to, and connect to the side that it is joined to.

So, you can quickly get it all connected into bigger area's pretty fast. (Note, you have to do one section at a time, but it can go quick with a hot key).

You can also move everything out of the picture, and then move the bigger one in, then start stitching parts until you cant go any farther.

Note, when you find a part that stitches and shares another side, it will flare the lines across the part, so just Control/Z out and dont Stitch that one.

Also, you can 'Break' sections to bring them to other sides. You might also be able to share area with zones, like a left and right side, place one over the other, cutting space for some parts by 50+%.

Bill

Country
spain
It's max9, yes, I have just see the stitch option, I checked what parts are the offensive parts, this is mostly the great window surface and the wood roofs, they are all disconnected I mean every little polygon are showed in the planar map, why is this :confused:, I see something similar with a hull boat which was made with Sketchup too, imposible to stitch all those parts. in that ocassion I solved the situation with a normal mapping (left/right) if I remember well. but is very tricky to get all the polygons clearly.
To add problems I want to keep that in a texture sheet. to apply an AO, maybe I not know about I am talking about even. It's just a general idea.
thanks for answer.
Edit: thanks for the advice on the stitches, I see as mayor problem the fact that another part were stitched too dragging and deforming the map, I just have read that selecting just edges it can be avoided.

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Yes, thats what I do is Edges only. That was what I had learned on a tutorial on YouTube. When you click on an edge, and click Stitch, that entire mini polygon area jumps over to the part it is linked to.

You could always remap the part in Max instead of keeping the Sketchup mapping, if thats what you did.

Bill

Country
spain
Yes it's what I am trying, remap in max, I deleted all material from Sketchup,
I will try to get control a little detaching every element, so getting many parts and unwrapping them individually, but how I could get to group again all those unwrapped meshes, I want an AO for this building. and what is more important, can be done ? At this stage I have no idea what could be done.
Can be uv mapped those detached elements individually, must this have his own material an Id. for this. ? many questions.

Country
indonesia
usually I use collada(*dae) object to remove the mini polygon.

when download from warehouse sketchup, pick *.kmz file then remane to *.zip
extract the *.dae only and convert with modelconverterx into *.3ds :p

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
To clear an existing UVW mapping in Max, see if you can apply a UVW Mapping Clear modifier to the object - I think Max 9 has that one. Then you can remap in Max.

Country
spain
yes, remove uv map and material, in "utilities".
good tip for Dae files, if it work, the problem is that I made myself the object.
could be great to know why and how to fight this desfragmented polys.