• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS9 - Lights in Close Proximity

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It appears that FS9 can have difficulty initializing the display of lighted models in very close proximity when approaching from a distance. FSX does not appear to be affected.

As discussed at length in a series of posts below, FS9 "crashed" with the user aircraft at a distance of about 18.5 nm while approaching an airport with AFLT custom lighting two of the strobe lights of which were spaced only 2.5'/0.7m apart. A similar arrangement with 5'/1.5m spacing did not create any difficulty when BGL_LIGHTs were used as the light source. However, when effects were substituted as the light source, the 5' spacing was also problematic.

It appears some internal limit was violated. However, in the complete absence of diagnostic information at the time of the crash I am unable determine what that limit is or how to avoid it.

So, should you experience a unexplained FS9 crash when approaching an airport with AFLT custom lighting, review the spacing of the lights - especially strobes and beacons.

Don

(extensive edits)

Last edited:
Country
italy
Hi, I'm having crash problem most probably related to the approach light array. Making hundreds of tests to try to identify which part of the array could be the responsible (there aren't strobes or beacons and no effects), obviously I checked all the distances and none of the used models is below 1.5m from others.

Could it be possible that the trigger should be also the number of bulbs used (2 in my case) with approach lights made by 2, 3 or more lights?

I'm very frustrated by this after near a year of work with my scenery and now it's about 2 months that I'm involved in this problem

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'm having crash problem most probably related to the approach light array
On what do you base that suspicion?

Could it be possible that the trigger should be also the number of bulbs used (2 in my case) with approach lights made by 2, 3 or more lights?
Since the cause of the original problem is an unknown issue internal to FS9, I have no way of knowing whether or not the number of bulbs has any effect. You can determine this yourself by reducing the number of bulbs to 1 (for test purposes) and running the new configuration.

Don

Country
italy
On what do you base that suspicion?

When I eliminate the array bgl file the problem seems to disappear. I dismounted the bgl in different parts (initially it was a unique bgl with inside more arrays defined with .def file) to try to understand which is the part involved but even if I try every time to maintain the same conditions not always the problem is triggered so is very difficult.

Since the cause of the original problem is an unknown issue internal to FS9, I have no way of knowing whether or not the number of bulbs has any effect. You can determine this yourself by reducing the number of bulbs to 1 (for test purposes) and running the new configuration.

Don

Because of the related paragraph in the user guide (and here) I thought if the distance problem could possibly be also in the use of more bulbs.

Ok thanks I'm going to try and in case I'll let you know.