• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSDS 3.5 says failed to create BGL file.

Felix, Bert...

Thanx for the info. Will be looking for it as I still do some modeling for my upcoming FS9 scenery.

Larry

Hello all,

I am a new member in this Forum and I hope that I can find some solutions for solving problems with FSDS.
About some days I buyed the FSDS 3.51 and began with the tutorial – the watertower –
But when I will create the FS Object file / Scenery Object File (.bgl) there always comes the message :
“ Failed to create BGL file ! “
After quitting with ok there is a Log with this contend :

OutputFile: _temp.MDL
Output file after modification: _temp.MDL
Creating output MDL file: _temp.MDL
CRASHTREE no granularity specified
CRASHTREE completed in 00:00:00.0156250
Usage: XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS /XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:DictFileName

I have deinstalled all ( FSDS, FSX, SDK and some addons (Aircraft) )
I have new installed all the progs again and : the same failure.

The exporting to .x and .mdl works right. Only the creating .bgl files is not possible.
Has anyone from the freaks a solution ?
Roland

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hi cyana.

What flight sim are you working with? FS9 or FSX

Perhaps you could tells us what you have done, so that we can try to figure out what you have done wrong.
Could you post screen shots of the “Application Preferences” and “Compile Options” pages, as this will help us make sure you have all necessary paths set up correctly.

H_Farfy:D

Hello Farfy,

thank you for trying to help :) ! I'm using FSX. I stumble into the same problem as described above - when having a different localize setting for number formats, FSDS refuses to compile a bgl file. It is not a trivial thing to change the number settings, because this might have great impact to all other applications you're using.

Anyway, my impression of FSDS so far is very disappointing. No import facility (yes I know. I already found the CVA Tool, however the import is a mess with most polygons flipped). No panning. Fixed zooming without support of the mouse wheel.

It would be great to have a scenery design tool that leaves the CAD part to a professional program of your choice (Rhino 3D for me), but then supports the thorny way from the finished mesh to the finished scenery inside FSX, including texturing, object placement, terrain definition, import of photorealistic satellite imagery and so on. Actually I hoped that FSDS would offer such functionalities, however it appears to be a very basic CAD with some support for the FS SDK.

greetings and thanks
Cyana

as a point of information, FSDS has never been more than a very basic CAD (and it has improved since V.1) ...

MAny hard core users have requested additional mesh import functionality. Many of us are not beyond abusing the mesh in other programs and dragging the tortured remnants back into FSDS.

You'd be surprised what a bunch of masochists the hard core FSDS users are.

Actually I hoped that FSDS would offer such functionalities, however it appears to be a very basic CAD with some support for the FS SDK.

greetings and thanks
Cyana

Fsds 3.5 bs

Wow Gmax runs better than that piece of GARBAGE! Did not know you had to be a freaking rocket scientist to set it up? I keep getting failed to create model and the thing says FSDS has stopped working then shuts down? I can believe i bought it??? Abucus need to get things right with their instruction! I did Everything they told me to do I even tried it with FS2004 and the SAME results! Abucus Epic Fail ,total fail as far as I'm concerned? Just for giggles why is FDDS studio doing this? tried to compile and it Stops working and says faild to create model or object?

Farfy

Resource contributor
Wow Jim sounds like you need a nap.

It always amazes me that when someone can’t get a FSDS to work they automatic figure it must be the fault of FSDS never once do these poor souls stop to think that hundreds perhaps thousands of other guys (me being one) have no problems with this program SO perhaps JUST perhaps you need to stop and think maybe the problem is NOT with FSDS.

If you read through these forums you will see over and over that most if not all problems come from the wrong paths or missing files that the program needs or just wrong settings.

If you want help you might try a few screen shots of the preference pages or you could just scream and yell in which case I do not think you will get much help.

H_Farfy

Screem? lol

Wow Jim sounds like you need a nap.

It always amazes me that when someone can’t get a FSDS to work they automatic figure it must be the fault of FSDS never once do these poor souls stop to think that hundreds perhaps thousands of other guys (me being one) have no problems with this program SO perhaps JUST perhaps you need to stop and think maybe the problem is NOT with FSDS.

If you read through these forums you will see over and over that most if not all problems come from the wrong paths or missing files that the program needs or just wrong settings.

If you want help you might try a few screen shots of the preference pages or you could just scream and yell in which case I do not think you will get much help.

H_Farfy

Its called venting, Sport.
but I did not know I needed my DirectX updated and other items that The Authors FAIL to mention! If I put out a product ,it would be in language that everyone can understand + what Extra files are needed besides the obvious.
Well enough of this,on to the next!

Solution

hi.
two points to solve this

Go to Project Properties. Check if their are any Co-ordinates filled in the boxes
...that is geographical Location .
IF blank fill it . IF you don't not want to put your at particular Co-ordinates , then also fill
don't leave it Blank . use some far ends of geographical point .... best at poles or point - in Arctic circle or Antarctica are .. just don't leave it blank
enlarge the Scale of your object(or whatever it is ) to do that ..go to plugin tab and click SCALE PROJECT ..( Considering standard scale to be 1)
probably what you have developed is sooooooo small in scale that you get an error.
This HAppens with me most of the Time .
And these two conditions or one defines the trouble .
it worked every time when i had any problem.
- chao,
Ashish

After failing produce a *.bg l in Windows 10 and FSDS 351 using the menu, I finally got it work by selecting the house icon .
bgl-tip.jpg