• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS FSPackageTool is changing my geometry (changing triangles and adding texture vertices) causing texture distortions. Major bug? [SOLVED]

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
TLDR: Models are changing after running through the FSPackageTool, causing textures to become misaligned. How can I avoid this?

Why this is even a thing I don't know, but it is happening.
This seems to be related to the following threads on texture distortion:

The posters in these threads all experience similar issues, but the important distinction is this happens no matter if your model comes from Sketchup, Blender or MCX. So I investigated further and compared my GLTF before and after it went through FSPackageTool and sure enough, the model texture vertices have changed.
Here are 3 example areas (left-side: before, right-side: after):

Screenshot 2021-10-13 121844.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-13 122135.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-13 122655.jpg

As you can see the number of triangles have increased from 28,157 to 28,196 and the texture vertices have increased from 41,769 to 43,028.
This causes misaligned textures which manifest as seams, jaggedness, crookedness and blurriness.
I can confirm that the textures themselves appear to remain unchanged.

These small distortions become unbearable, especially when the user will be up close (example near the gates of a terminal).

Even when the changes may not be always be visible on the surface of the model, the FSPackage tool seems to make changes even on small simple objects,
Another model had its number of triangles unchanged (745), but the number of texture verts did change (1151-> 1187).

This is a real headache.
How can I avoid this? Or better yet: can Asobo allow the FSPackageTool to process our models without changing them?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Asobo only support exports from 3dsMax, so you're not likely to get help from them.

Quads or ngons are a problem in MSFS compilation. I believe all gltf mesh need to be in triangles. Also, I am unsure how the sim deals with double-sided materials, or how they get compiled.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
As you can see the number of triangles have increased from 28,157 to 28,196 and the texture vertices have increased from 41,769 to 43,028.
This causes misaligned textures which manifest as seams, jaggedness, crookedness and blurriness.
I can confirm that the textures themselves appear to remain unchanged.
You relate an increase of 39 triangles, to a "change in geometry," while ignoring the very obvious fact that 1,259 additional vertices, proves MCX accepts Sketchup multi-trigonal "polygons." No geometry changed, the MSFS compiler insists all polygons must have only three vertices, because it is mathematically impossible to construct a polygon with four or more coplanar vertices - despite what Sketchup rounds up to.

Everything you've described is a consequence of allowing UV offsets to increase beyond the zero/one range. It is a known limitation of the MSFS compiler and it is solved by changing tiling dimensions, or by projecting more directly onto a polygon in a "one to one" ratio.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Thank you @rhumbaflappy and @=rk= for the responses. I can confirm that the polygons where the issues occurred were indeed triangulated before export from Blender. But Rick seems to have identified the real issue.

Everything you've described is a consequence of allowing UV offsets to increase beyond the zero/one range. It is a known limitation of the MSFS compiler and it is solved by changing tiling dimensions, or by projecting more directly onto a polygon in a "one to one" ratio.

Thank you Rick.
I had written a script for my UDIM workflow in Blender and I forgot to move the UV's back to the 0-1 UV space for the final textures that were baked.
I was totally unaware that the MSFS compiler had issues with that.

Country
germany
Does this mean that msfs doesn't display repeating / tiling textures correctly? That would be a major letdown because you'd need much higher resolution textures to achieve the same resolution if you can only use a non repeating texture sheet. For example I built a hangar with a large, rectangular window in the back where in reality the window consists of 8 identical elements, so I created a 1024 x 1024 texture for the window element and made it repeat 8 times on the u axis. To get the same quality I'd need a 8192x1024 with a non repeating texture or am I getting something wrong here?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Tiled textures are also subject to the zero-one range rule and in my experience, are easier to keep within that range.

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

You may wish to review the recent info regarding Sketchup Material auto-self-tiling versus discrete pixel vertex UVW mapping revisions with the Make Unique Texture and Combine Textures features ...posted here: :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/material-colors-not-displaying-in-msfs.453561/post-890748

Additional recent info pertinent to use of Sketchup Combine Textures feature is posted here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/i-use-model-converter-x.453693/post-891214

GaryGB