• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX - AI aircraft ground steering

Country
canada
Hi, all
I have a plane, my own creation, that flies just fine. It is a tail dragger and it steers on the ground just fine, too.

But I made an AI traffic for it, and it doesn't steer well on the ground at all, curves way too wide. Following a tip that I don't know where I found, I used FSEdit to change the max angle of the tail wheel. It was at 70 and I changed it to 89. It made the plane, as a user plane, work just fine, but when used as an AI aircraft it is marginally better but still doesn't make the turns tight enough (all over the grass, inside buildings...).

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Do you have any evidence that the tail wheel is rotating/steering enough?
Just because you increased the total max angle does not mean it is actually doing that.
I'd be inclined to look at the amount of steer angle commanded by the sim rather than try to change anything on the plane
Roy

Country
canada
Hi, Roy, thanks for the reply.
Two things: first, where would that be done and second, is it desirable to change a native part of FS to accommodate a problem that only affects an aeroplane or two? Most planes work fine. Unless it is a problem with all tail draggers.

If anyone knows, let me know.

Thanks

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Tail draggers are going to be worse than trikes for several reasons.
First they are inherently unstable in yaw when taxying.
Second, I believe AI planes are steered by keeping the steer wheel on the taxying centerline.
So, a nose wheel would lead the plane on entering a turn and the main wheels would follow equally spaced from the line.
A tail wheel would also turn as it reaches the bend, but the main wheels would not be equally spaced from the line, the inside one would be closer than the outside one, so the plane would lag the turn and maybe have issues staying on the taxiway.

You can see the value of AI plane variables if you have a gauge that can select the plane concerned and read the variable using the sim traffic C values.
Roy

Country
canada
Hi, Roy, thanks for your input. Problem remains, though.

I tested a few other tail draggers, including the Microsoft Maule M7, and it does exactly the same thing: turns while taxiing way too wide, totally unreasonable.

Does anyone else have observed the same problem with Traffic using tail draggers?

Thank you very much.

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
You would be better served to ask the question in the Living World and AI forum.
There is a thread there about AI turning circle similar to yours though it concerns seaplanes.
In general AI planes often have horrid flight characteristics even though when flown as piloted they are not so bad. And tail draggers on the ground are different than trikes.
Roy

Country
canada
Roger that, Roy. I looked, but didn't find it. I'll go there.

Thanks.