• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Giving up on MSFS…

Country
southafrica
I have developed five airports for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 all of which worked flawlessly up to Patch V1.16.2.0. Now, two of these airports works flawlessly, but the other three causes MSFS to crash to the desktop and I have no idea why.

It is not that I am doing anything funny. All my airport objects are designed with Blender and exported using the Blender2MSFS toolkit. The textures for all the airport buildings are 1024x1024. I use BenneyBoy444’s method of placing apron markings using 512x512 textures. Nothing strange so far.

I compiled the airports using SDK 12, SDK 13 and even SDK 10. Someone suggested that I try ModelLibChanger. It suggested that I changed the name of the Model Library. Someone also suggested that I checked the model version of the object XML file and make sure that it is set to version="1.1". None of these did anything to resolve the issue.

I could run MSFS, select the airport ICAO from the list and then it will load about two thirds before the music starts stuttering and BAM, crash to desktop!

I updated my graphics drivers, updated Windows 10 with all the patches available, even the ones that were deemed as not needed. BAM, crash to desktop!

I then figured that maybe the issue is with the models, so I exported them all over again and re-compiled the airports… BAM, crash to desktop!

Ok, maybe it has something to do with the materials as I use for the apron markings and the taxiway lines, so I removed those and re-compiled the airports… BAM, crash to desktop!

Right… Maybe if I delete the airport and start from scratch again. I mean, surely that MUST work… BAM, crash to desktop!

Right now, I am standing here beside myself, not knowing what more to do.

All this started after Patch V1.16.2.0… Before that everything worked simply fine, absolutely no issues! Even stranger is that two of my airports still work! The only difference between the two that work and the three that does not work, is the materials for the ground markings. That is why I thought of removing the materials, but that did nothing. Still… BAM, crash to desktop!

I am giving up on MSFS…

I develop airports for FSX, Prepar3D and even X-Plane. Over the years there have always been hot fixes to these flight simulators and the only time I have seen anything like this happen is when the developer did not follow the rules of the SDK. My airports have always worked; through all the versions of Prepar3D and X-Plane with only minimal changes from one version to the next, because I always follow the guidelines of the SDK.

Maybe the guys where right in that MSFS is not ready for release… That is why things that were working perfectly well with one patch now just does not work anymore. Maybe the three airports that does not work now, will start to work again with Patch V1.17… but I am not holding my breath!

Until then it is bye-bye MSFS and hello Prepar3D/X-Plane!

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Sorry with you for those troubles. I cannot help you since I never started with MSFS2020 yet. I hate to update and rework on my airports when that happens.

Last edited:
Country
germany
I had a similar problem with my NZKI freeware. In that case it was an incompatible materials lib due to another scernry using the exact same name for their material libs. Have you checked that you changed all default names of the asset groups to something specific? In my case I had to rename mymodelLib and mymaterials to nzki-modellib and nzki-materials respectively.

Country
france
Hi,

Did you correctly renamed the "mymodellib" and "mycompagnyname" "myscene" ?
The CTD on sceneries are mainly caused when 2 or more sceneries use the same name ;)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Sorry with you for those troubles. I cannot help you since I never started with MSFS2020 yet. I hate to update and rework on my airports when that happens.
Same thing happened to me when television came out. I finally started catching up around the time "Green Acres" was on and almost didn't make it into the 21st century. I have friends that never made the transition and every once in a while, I go play checkers and share story telling sessions around the community fire pit with them.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Don't get me wrong. I will move to FS2020 of course. But I am slow due to my real life work. No offensive to MSFS 2020 at all. Just want things to settle down.

Country
indonesia
I created my own ecosystem for my code. hope I could faster identify every issue affected due to updates, but there no assurance that updates not brings a bombs, which will ruin our works

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Same thing happened to me when television came out. I finally started catching up around the time "Green Acres" was on and almost didn't make it into the 21st century. I have friends that never made the transition and every once in a while, I go play checkers and share story telling sessions around the community fire pit with them.
I am sorry Rick, I don't understand what you mean. We here in the forum are not either American or speak English as our first langague. So, if you please, try to write simple, get to the point. Don't be sarcastically with some wordy sentence.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I am sorry Rick, I don't understand what you mean. We here in the forum are not either American or speak English as our first langague. So, if you please, try to write simple, get to the point. Don't be sarcastically with some wordy sentence.
Hey Tic! If you want to go into it, we can. Personally, I believe people should communicate what they feel and as people, we should accept those communications. Otherwise, it is kind of like customer support, when someone doesn't like something about one of the airports you made. On my behalf, in you behalf, I do not assume you intentionally obscure your message.

Personally, I think you are a fantastic artist, I think your works bring life and feeling to the places you recreate. I know, or feel I know, the potentialities of MSFS and I imagine your art in that environment, but well, "work does not allow time for art." I feel like something is missing and that is why you comment, at all, because over the past year, when my work was too demanding to make scenery, I was not commenting on FSDev, or doing anything that reminded me of that sacrifice. You know, as if "Green Acres" could bring anyone up to date with the 21st century.

So I make a comment. Awkward maybe and I really doubt I could encourage you to take up MSFS, I wouldn't want to be that persuasive, but if I can offer perspective, if I can answer the reason you comment here, it might just lead to me experiencing your work, your art, in MSFS. So not to be too wordy, or sarcastic and definitely no offense, but ya, it's out there. Know you're missed and no slight to the op either, 5 airports is a pentacle of accomplishment.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I finally started catching up around the time "Green Acres" was on

I go play checkers and share story telling sessions around the community fire pit with them.

Hi Rick,

I mean I don't understand these sentences. What is "Green Acres" for? I googled it and it was a TV program. I am not in you culture, so I have no idea what it is. It is not only language barrier but also the culture barrier as well, which Google cannot help.

Just saying that if you reply to what I have post, please stay simple, get to the point, no ironic. That's all.

It is not offensive against you at all. But I really don't understand those sentences. I have read a lot of comments and answers here in the forum. Sometime you need to understand us who are not native speakers. What you want to communicate is totally lost due to my limited knowledge in English. I hope you understand.

I really want to jump to MSFS, I defenitely will as soon as I update all my airports to P3Dv4 and V5.

Last edited: