• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [GUIDE] Creating Livery Packages for MSFS

mgr

Country
netherlands
This has been a great informative thread for me so far. But then I moved on to the Extra 330. Painting the "livery" texture box all white removed the colour, but it left a "mirror foil" overlay covering the rest of the airplane. I can't, for the life of me, seem to find an "alpha channeled" texture that seems to be the root of this?

Anyone?

View attachment 63246

I can find all these decals in blender if I open the gltf, but as such that is no help. It would be far easier if we could have a "switch" in the aircraft.cfg or somewhere that says something along the lines of [decal_visible = "0" ; switch decals on or off]

Anyone have any ideas about that?

Just add a Alfa-layer, all black, to the livery texture: EXTRA_330_EXTERIOR_LIVERY.PNG.DDS, save it as DTX5.

Marcel

Country
germany
With Dev Mode on, you'll need:
  1. Start a new project ([DevMode] > NewProject...). This will display a new project dialog box.
  2. Click Ok. None of the settings matter. This will open the project editor.
  3. Click the + button at the bottom of the project editor. This will display the Add Package dialog.
  4. Type "test" (or anything) into the Package name field and click "Create".
  5. Click View > Inspector on the Project Editor menu. This will display the Inspector dialog.
  6. Click Capture aircraft thumbnail. You will be prompted to select a folder.
  7. Once you select a folder, MSFS will create a screenshot called SCREENCAPTURE0_LE.PNG in the folder you selected. If you click "Capture aircraft thumbnail" several times, it will create multiple files called SCREENCAPTURE1_LE.PNG, SCREENCAPTURE2_LE.PNG, etc.
I hope this helps.

Thanks for that explanation. It does create screenshots for me, yet they have an entirely different aspect ratio and size than the default ones.
Is that normal?

Attachments

• custom.jpg
    custom.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 151
  • original.jpg
    original.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 138
Country
australia
Has anyone tried this on Carenado 182? It's only one I can't seem to get working...
I don't think this works for either Carenado. but, the are a different kettle of fish. Please let me know if anyone has any Progress with the 182 or the mooney.

Creating Livery Packages

Ensure also that your texture.cfg also has fallback to the root texture of the aircraft

fallback.1=..\..\<<Aircraft Directory>>\texture

Good morning...

I am having problems with all the fallbacks. Nothing serious, just a lack of understanding...

So far the only way I can think of that really works is to copy the whole aircraft package over because for me, that gives me a full model (the 3D bits and instruments) and all the textures. I am never sure which folder needs a fallback in the livery I make using the folder structure in that useful "Creating Livery Packages" tute.

1. in the aircraft.cfg - do I need a fallback to things like checklist, model, panel and sound if I do not add them in the community folder for my new livery? If I do copy them into the community, should I then edit the configs in each and name the folders model.myawesomelivery (whatever name I have chosen)

2. in the fallback1. text - how many ..\..\ do I need? Or do I need to write out the full path like this: F:\msfs\Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-flightdesignct\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_FlightDesignCT\TEXTURE?

3. also: if I have other fallbacks in the texture config, do I have to renumber with your suggestion at position 1 or does it work if it's at (say) fallback.9=.....?

I'm still learning new things every day and there is lots happening with the 3rd Party Devs - some very nice aircraft have been released and keeping the "new" livery folders light on data is a must - some repaints are running to half a gig at the moment - heavy! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
@OzWookiee and anyone who may know:

1. a gentle reminder about my last post ;)

2. Since the latest msfs update I have been unable to get my liveries to show. Some of the Megapack liveries that I added do work as before. So I have done as msfs forums suggest and removed thecommunity folder and started over. So far I have reverted to just one personal livery - it definitely worked pre update, as did all my other three attempts - I shan't bore you with an image fest, but they did show and I have "flown them". I created the community livery folders using the guide and .json tool that have been described in these pages. As I said, the packages worked pre 1.10.7.0. After I cleared the community I reloaded a paint that worked before I can visit the "hangar" in my profile. I load up the aircraft and I see the "master"

I go to the liveries selection and I can see two liveries - default and custom, but selecting custom brings me only the default.

3. I've gone throught the layout.json - even checking each texture filesize. OK. each of the instruction steps in the guide checks out.

4. Could part of the problem be in writing the correct fallback path (see my previous comment)?

5. I there an SDK tool / Dev mode method that I should know about

I'm not getting any help from the msfs forums - perhaps I vented too much ;) but I have been a quality manager for decades and can tell that there isn't any real Q concept there. They just blame the livery and third party people, saying it's not up to Asobo et al to sort their problems out - conveniently forgetting that anyone creating community content is a paying customer...

Country
australia
@OzWookiee and anyone who may know:

1. a gentle reminder about my last post ;)

2. Since the latest msfs update I have been unable to get my liveries to show. Some of the Megapack liveries that I added do work as before. So I have done as msfs forums suggest and removed thecommunity folder and started over. So far I have reverted to just one personal livery - it definitely worked pre update, as did all my other three attempts - I shan't bore you with an image fest, but they did show and I have "flown them". I created the community livery folders using the guide and .json tool that have been described in these pages. As I said, the packages worked pre 1.10.7.0. After I cleared the community I reloaded a paint that worked before I can visit the "hangar" in my profile. I load up the aircraft and I see the "master"

I go to the liveries selection and I can see two liveries - default and custom, but selecting custom brings me only the default.

3. I've gone throught the layout.json - even checking each texture filesize. OK. each of the instruction steps in the guide checks out.

4. Could part of the problem be in writing the correct fallback path (see my previous comment)?

5. I there an SDK tool / Dev mode method that I should know about

I'm not getting any help from the msfs forums - perhaps I vented too much ;) but I have been a quality manager for decades and can tell that there isn't any real Q concept there. They just blame the livery and third party people, saying it's not up to Asobo et al to sort their problems out - conveniently forgetting that anyone creating community content is a paying customer...

Hey CBris,

I'll try and give you some tips where I can (I also have questions).

1. I don't understand it either I just mess with it until it works

2. The last update introduced a change that requires a livery to also have a model.xxx definition as well. The model can alias straight back to the normal model, but the texture needs to have its own defined model.

eg: I have texture.KDA, I must also have a model.KDA folder in my package. The only file inside that folder though is a model.cfg that alias straight back to the main model.

Some users are reporting that the hot fix that was pushed out reverted this, however I have it on good authority that this is the way of the future, so get future proofed and start using it now. I updated all mine and pushed out updates (http://gumroad.com/novawing24 if you want to check them out)

3. there is a tool I believe mentioned earlier in this thread or search this forum for PlaneConverter. I disagree with using the converter part, but the json tool is invaluable.

4. Maybe?

5. Dev mode located in your settings menu.

Good Luck!
Hope this helps

Country
australia
Ok brains trust, has anyone been able to successfully inject a livery into a 3rd party addon?

Trying to inject using this method for the IndiaFoxTecho products and Iris Jabiru... and nothing shows up unless I overwrite one of the existing textures.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Novawing24

Country
england
I've added several liveries to the IndiaFoxtEcho Mb339 with the additional model folder without any problems. I used a python script to create the layout json file.

Country
australia
I've added several liveries to the IndiaFoxtEcho Mb339 with the additional model folder without any problems. I used a python script to create the layout json file.
Interesting, and good to know its an issue with me then. So I've used the model.xx folder method, and used the PlaneConverte program to generate the layout.jason file. Are you able to point me to yours so I can have a look and see where I have gone wrong?

I'm just doing the Orbx shop version of the Jabiru. It looks great in Blender, but...

Will let you know - I am thinking af adding it the FSX way and then doing the layout.json files as per the auto tool.

BTW - when I said I need the model folder, I also need to include all the contents. As for the panel - I use that to kill the registration decals. Can't stand having ASGFSX blah blah registration. It is so unreal it's unbelievable.

Country
england
Interesting, and good to know its an issue with me then. So I've used the model.xx folder method, and used the PlaneConverte program to generate the layout.jason file. Are you able to point me to yours so I can have a look and see where I have gone wrong?

Hi, sorry, I'm not going to be able to get on my PC until tomorrow, we're in the middle of rearranging things at home.

Country
australia
I'm just doing the Orbx shop version of the Jabiru. It looks great in Blender, but...

Will let you know - I am thinking af adding it the FSX way and then doing the layout.json files as per the auto tool.

BTW - when I said I need the model folder, I also need to include all the contents. As for the panel - I use that to kill the registration decals. Can't stand having ASGFSX blah blah registration. It is so unreal it's unbelievable.
Not sure why you need to include the whole model file? Just alias it. Distributing a modified model file does not sound like a particularly good idea especially without permission of the original devleoper.

Adding via the FSX way is hacky and requires the user to do more. We should be looking at this new way as the future (and it is). Why are you trying to go backwards?

Oh, and there is no country prefix "AS"
And your point? I use the registration NOVA24. Its there as a placeholder for users to set what they want. Are you going to police every user of your livery to make sure they ONLY use a VALID registration number? Let ASobo have their marketing.

Country
australia

Sorry @CBris but are you including developers models/resources with your liveries?

Only what I paid for plus whatever advice/help I get from David at Iris. Nothing proprietary.

Country
australia
Only what I paid for plus whatever advice/help I get from David at Iris. Nothing proprietary.
Well as long as those liveries are for yourself then you're good to go, otherwise without express written permission to include those assets, you really should not be redistributing them.