• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [GUIDE] FSX --> MSFS: VR Fix

Country
us-florida
Thread Edit: Updated below to incorporate quicker fix mentioned by thealx.

Recently, I was given the opportunity to convert Craig Richardson's FSX Edgley Optica and re-work the aircraft to work with MSFS. A request that came early on after the initial release was VR Support. So as anyone would, I began the journey to find a viable fix.

In case you are not aware, contrary to .gltf rumor, MSFS does render .mdl files in OpenXR natively alongside .gltf. However, until recently, it's been a nightmare getting FSX conversions to work in VR. As it currently stands, if you import your favorite FSX aircraft, for example with the MSFS Legacy Importer, your game will crash when you activate VR. Without going into too much detail, this is because of certain checks requiring the player to be in a compatible interior model. Outlined below are a couple common scenarios and fixes.

Scenario #1: The exterior .mdl model does not contain interior animations and/or interior modeling.
- In this scenario, you're going to have the hardest time getting VR to fully work with animations outside of the source files. Your best bet is to use Model Converter X 1.5 (Dev Release) and export the interior .mdl as .gltf. Just know that you will LOSE all interior animations. MCX does not support animation export and that's a good thing! No one wants their hard work stolen. MCX will generate the interior .gltf, .bin, and .xml files.

Scenario 2: Both the interior and exterior .mdl models contain the same animations and modeling, aside from the typical human pilot model in the exterior .mdl
- Things get easier for you here, the best solution I found was to delete the exterior model and then select the interior .mdl file and rename that file to the exterior model. This will remove the pilot model and preserve all cockpit animations. Next, open up the model.cfg and completely remove the "interior=xxx" line. In some cases you should rename the "exterior=xxx" line to "normal=xxx" and keep a 2nd copy of your interior model referenced in the "interior=xxx" line. It's a case by case and questions can be asked in this thread for more clarification. Below is some pictures of what I managed to do in the files. Biggest thing is that you need to remove the original exterior model.

Now when you start MSFS, you will be able to activate VR in your converted aircraft. Technically you will load up VR sitting in the exterior model (Which use to be your interior model) and since you deleted the interior line from the config, you will process that model for both interior and exterior view.

NOTE: This conversion/Fix might destroy a couple things. First, your ability to see gauge hover-data. Second, your ability to use clickable switches (This is nothing new), and lastly, your human pilot model will not be visible in game. A pretty good trade off if you ask me.

TIP: If you plan on having full cockpit support without VR, create a secondary model and texture folder. Set that secondary model folder up as described above and add a VR livery option/[FLTSIM] in the aircraft.cfg file to work with that different model/texture. If you've never editted the aircraft.cfg before and need help, just ask below and I'm sure someone will help you. By adding another model dependent [FLTSIM], you can choose which livery/model to fly depending on using VR without destroying your normal model. In my conversion, I edited the texture thumbnail with a VR logo so I can easily see compatibility in the game.

Obviously, if you find a better solution please post below. Keep in mind I have no responsibility for your conversions nor do I ever condone converting protected/unauthorized models. Always contact the original developer prior to working on their work. Hopefully this will help others in the future with VR until MSFS resolves legacy translation coding. As I said, this is a VR Fix not a VR Conversion. Hours trying to convert the .mdl and animations didn't bring me success, thinking outside the box did.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210120-212636_My Files.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210120-212636_My Files.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 414
  • SmartSelect_20210120-212603_Code Editor.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210120-212603_Code Editor.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Country
russia
#3 is a cheating. exactly my way of MSFS development. applied it to DG808S, sent for approval to VR guy.

--

Can confirm it works. One step forward to simplicity - no need to create empty glTF, enough to remove "interior=xxx" line, and replace exterior model name with interior.
that is odd, because before it caused game crash (for FS2004 imports for example).

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
#3 is a cheating. exactly my way of MSFS development. applied it to DG808S, sent for approval to VR guy.

--

Can confirm it works. One step forward to simplicity - no need to create empty glTF, enough to remove "interior=xxx" line, and replace exterior model name with interior.
that is odd, because before it caused game crash (for FS2004 imports for example).
Thanks for the tips, didn't really think of that. Glad that also works! I'm going to update the post above. This method was more efficient.

Last edited:
Country
france
thank you very much for all these ideas, i am also puzzling my head to have a good interior file that works VR ...

Country
italy
Hello, sorry if I'm writing after 2 years from the creation of the thread, but I'm trying my hand at converting some planes but I can't make them work in VR, I tried to follow the advice above but without success.
Now, considering my difficulty with the English language, I'm sure I didn't fully understand the various steps.
Can you tell me if there is a tutorial video?

Thank you