• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [GUIDE] How to create custom aerial scenery

Country
hongkong
Nice tutorial Augustin,but is there a way to align the aerial image by using Geographic coordinate?
It is difficult to align the image with blurry bing map.

Country
norway
Nice tutorial Augustin,but is there a way to align the aerial image by using Geographic coordinate?
It is difficult to align the image with blurry bing map.
I'm looking into that, since when you export the TIF images from Ortho4XP, they actually have the cordinates for where to go, same goes for using the SbuilderX solution.
I unfortunately don't have alot of experience with QGIS so Im almost as lost as you guys sometimes haha.

If it helps, you can select a different reference map. Take a look at the newest version of the guide. v1.1, where i mention this. It is attached to the first post of this thread :)

Thanks a lot! But why did you referenced the tif files? Aren't those should already be referenced?

By the way is there any good method for doing this for a large scale area?

Last edited:
Country
norway
Thanks a lot! But why did you referenced the tif files? Aren't those should already be referenced?
No problem :)

I didn't reference the .tif files, I referenced the combined .png image of the tif files. The combined .png image does not have any geographical data

By the way is there any good method for doing this for a large scale area?
Use lower zoom levels ;) This creates bigger tiles covering bigger areas at the cost of resolution. But in my opinion, ZL19 is only necessary on the airport and palces where you will be close to the ground

Country
hongkong
when I get close to the ground the aerial image close to me disappear :rolleyes:
Untitled-5.jpg

Country
us-louisiana
Thank you for the tutorial. It was very helpful. I do have a question, however. I have gotten tot he last step, Compiling in MSFS and have hit a wall. I cannot figure out how to get the "Add package" dialog. I don't see it in the Developer tools. Nor, do I see it in the SDK tools. Where is it?

Thanks,
John

Country
norway
I do have a question, however. I have gotten tot he last step, Compiling in MSFS and have hit a wall. I cannot figure out how to get the "Add package" dialog.
Press the pluss [ + ] icon in the bottom left of the Project Editor windows to add a package.

Just to remind everyone, this tutorial is not for beginners to scenery creation in MSFS
From the Introduction part of the guide: "It is also pretty much necessary to already have some knowledge of scenery development in MSFS"

If you have not created any scenery already for MSFS, then you will most likely experience issues and stumble into problems since this tutorial does not cover the basics of developing sceneries in MSFS

Country
us-georgia
So I have done everything correctly. In the process of adding a package I'm kinda lost at what to do. Not exactly sure what hell I'm supposed to be doing. I know this isnt the place to ask for help but not sure where else to ask. So any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Country
norway
So I have done everything correctly. In the process of adding a package I'm kinda lost at what to do. Not exactly sure what hell I'm supposed to be doing.
You have to go into your project folder, then into Packages. Inside the Packages folder, there should be a folder with your package name. Copy this folder into you MSFS Community folder.

Again.
Just to remind everyone, this tutorial is not for beginners to scenery creation in MSFS

From the Introduction part of the guide: "It is also pretty much necessary to already have some knowledge of scenery development in MSFS"

Please read up on at least the SDK documentation, or one of the user created tutorials before you begin with this one. Or else you'll end up with beeing confused since this guide does not explain everything, and thats just annoying haha :p

Country
us-louisiana
Press the pluss [ + ] icon in the bottom left of the Project Editor windows to add a package.

If you have not created any scenery already for MSFS, then you will most likely experience issues and stumble into problems since this tutorial does not cover the basics of developing sceneries in MSFS

Thank you Augustin. I got it working after you told me how to make a new package.

Country
germany
I am an absolutely beginner with scenery design and have a problem with compiling my aerial images to MSFS.

Everything worked and is done until compiling, thanks to this great tutorial.

But I am not able to compile it to MSFS. You write in the tutorial , set the OutputDir to CGL\. Where should I create an Output Directory and the subfolder called CGL\? The CGL folder within my project isn't accepted.

Please help

Chris

Last edited:
Country
senegal
I am an absolutely beginner with scenery design and have a problem with compiling my aerial images to MSFS.

Everything worked and is done until compiling, thanks to this great tutorial.

But I am not able to compile it to MSFS. You write in the tutorial , set the OutputDir to CGL\. Where should I create an Output Directory and the subfolder called CGL\? The CGL folder within my project isn't accepted.

Please help

Chris
You press enter to validate it.

Country
hongkong
Fantastic guide, thank you so much.

I’ve just one question. The airport I’m attempting to make is missing due to cloud cover on the Bing imagery causing the automatic creation of synthetic textures/polygons to cover them. Inserting my custom imagery works correctly, but the vegetation from these synthetic polygons remains. Do I need an exclude rectangle to remove these, and will they prevent the automatic vegetation from being applied to my imagery? If so, is there a better way to handle this?

Country
norway
Fantastic guide, thank you so much.

I’ve just one question. The airport I’m attempting to make is missing due to cloud cover on the Bing imagery causing the automatic creation of synthetic textures/polygons to cover them. Inserting my custom imagery works correctly, but the vegetation from these synthetic polygons remains. Do I need an exclude rectangle to remove these, and will they prevent the automatic vegetation from being applied to my imagery? If so, is there a better way to handle this?
Don't think the aerial imagery will automatically receive vegetation :/ But yeah, you need exclude the things you don't want there