• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [GUIDE] How to create custom aerial scenery

I think there may be something to my last post. I took images that I generated in QGIS, renamed them using the filenames of the images in the Simple Aerial project, and wouldn't you know it, they display just fine ... in Washington. So the problem is not with the PNG files. There is something in San Carlos, CA, that is preventing me from creating aerial scenery. Back to the drawing board.

I turned off photogrammetry and now I can see my custom aerial scenery at KSQL! Of course, that also means throwing out the visual benefits of photogrammetry. So now to see if I can selectively suppress photogrammetry in a small area rather than for the whole world.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Good catch about turning off photogrammetry. I generally leave mine off because it is not very good.

Country
us-illinois
I turned off photogrammetry and now I can see my custom aerial scenery at KSQL! Of course, that also means throwing out the visual benefits of photogrammetry. So now to see if I can selectively suppress photogrammetry in a small area rather than for the whole world.
Did you found the solution for that?
So, at the moment, SecondaryAerial is only working with photogrammetry off, right?

Country
australia
Can an Aerial Ortho tile replace a Photogrammetry one?

If you travel to Hobart Tasmania Australia and head over to the City the City is very bright on one side and very dark on the half of the city next to the river!

I have recreated all of Hobart with Ortho Tiles which look awesome, my tiles show up but the original tiles stayed, and I thought hang on whats going on here. A friend pointed out that some of the city os done ion Photogrammetry yet they completely forgot how dark it is compared to the rest of the city, its really bad!!

The Photogrammetry tile is very dark and the Ortho tile I have to replace it is perfect, I simply need to swap mine in and the Photogrammetry one out, is this possible and how is this done ??

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi there,

typically, we use official resellers like L3Harris -- https://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Data-Imagery -- or Aerometrex, etc. They have online catalogues that make searching for imagery of specific locations pretty straightforward.

Note that most standard commercial licenses assume in-house/private use only and thus do not allow for redistribution of your compiled aerial or satellite imagery. You'll need to carefully check the respective EULA and, in most cases, request a custom license named something like "Simulation", or "Value-Added", or "Integrator", ... for a hefty surcharge, of course :(

Don't forget to search for free sources using search terms like "open data orthoimagery" or "open data aerial" for your area of interest. Again, though, carefully check all Terms of Use as free doesn't necessarily mean free to re-distribute.

Cheers, Holger

Country
australia
Can an Aerial Ortho tile replace a Photogrammetry one?

If you travel to Hobart Tasmania Australia and head over to the City the City is very bright on one side and very dark on the half of the city next to the river!

I have recreated all of Hobart with Ortho Tiles which look awesome, my tiles show up but the original tiles stayed, and I thought hang on whats going on here. A friend pointed out that some of the city os done ion Photogrammetry yet they completely forgot how dark it is compared to the rest of the city, its really bad!!

The Photogrammetry tile is very dark and the Ortho tile I have to replace it is perfect, I simply need to swap mine in and the Photogrammetry one out, is this possible and how is this done ??
Anyone ??

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi there,

TIN (= photogrammetry) is a combination of high-resolution mesh and multi-viewpoint aerial imagery, which gets streamed as complete tiles into the sim. As far as I know, in a photogrammetry area there is no separate ground orthoimagery anymore, and thus I don't see any way to implement your idea.

Cheers, Holger

Country
australia
Hi there,

TIN (= photogrammetry) is a combination of high-resolution mesh and multi-viewpoint aerial imagery, which gets streamed as complete tiles into the sim. As far as I know, in a photogrammetry area there is no separate ground orthoimagery anymore, and thus I don't see any way to implement your idea.

Cheers, Holger
Hi Holger,

Can I turn off the photogrammetry then for the area in question only?

And if still how is that done?

A guide to show me how I can turn it off in that location?

Thanks in advance

Country
australia
Hi there,

Cheers, Holger
Also Holger is it possible to create an exclusion rectangle to replace my aerial Ortho at the position of the attached Ortho in the photogrammetry.

I am assuming if I can do that I can remove the existing baked in or not aerial Ortho base (component) of the photogrammetry.

If I can do this can you direct me then to a guide etc that I can follow to achieve this?

Thank you again

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
A Polygon with Exclude TIN ticked, or a Rectangle with Exclude buildings ticked. I recommend the polygon,

Country
australia
A Polygon with Exclude TIN ticked, or a Rectangle with Exclude buildings ticked. I recommend the polygon,
Thank you so very much, do you know of a tutorial or guide to do such a thing, I have not done one but with a guide I will be able to do it, do you know of such a guide or tutorial that I should look at rhumba ?

Thanks in advance

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
He's a good teacher. I'd go through all of his scenery creation videos. There's about 30 of them. Some won't apply to your needs now, but they will in the future.

Country
australia
He's a good teacher. I'd go through all of his scenery creation videos. There's about 30 of them. Some won't apply to your needs now, but they will in the future.
Yes I have seen a couple of them and yes I agree just not applicable for what im doing but thank you either way!

Country
unitedstates
Hi all,
Having a little trouble with my aerial. I did the steps for the custom aerial and that part was fine. However, I have to turn photogrammetry off to see it. Is there a way to have photogrammetry on and still have my custom aerial show?