• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Have You Ever Used The Teapot Primitive?

Country
unitedstates
In over 7 years of messing around with gmax I can't say I've ever found a use for it, lol. I mean, what the heck? It's not "manifold", it has a bunch of zero-area polys in the bottom of it? The lid doesn't even fit? I admit to replacing my Cessna 172 model with a gigantic teapot back in FS9 when I was trying to get the gmax-to-sim stuff ironed out, I had gigantic AI teapots in gmax colors flying around in the sim for a while, but for the life of me I can't see any practical use for the teapot in modeling.

Can you? Have you ever used it? :)

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Only an American could ask such a question. The more important question is why there isn't a matching teacup and saucer?. It's not due to Gmax being an emasculated version of Max because it doesn't have 'em either!

Country
unitedstates
A teapot primitive is considered the equivalent of a "hello world" program

I'll be dipped, I didn't know there was a history. Sort of a "software nostalgia" thing in a way, the actual teapot that was modeled is in a computer museum in Boston! ...and my AI teapots were indeed a "hello world" moment for me so I guess it works. :)

Tom, seriously Max doesn't have a cup & saucer primitive? What a ripoff! :)

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Actually currently at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. :p

Country
scotland
Hi Folks.

Jim -
Yes :laughing:
I'll admit to using the teapot.

As one of the objects in a demo BGL
for an as yet unwritten Wiki article.

Demonstrating that FSX's switching of LODs
is explicitly 'rendered pixels in viewport' based,
and not distance specific.

i.e.
What you see, isn't nescessarily what the end user sees.

Also to emphasize that a LOD remains active
from its initial display, up to the next LOD.

e.g.
For an object with LOD of 5 and next LOD of 20.
At a zoom-level where -
the LOD 5 displays at 5 rendered pixels
and the LOD 20 displays at 20 rendered pixels.
That LOD 5 remains visible from 5 through 19 and up to 20 rendered pixels.

Maybe not particularly relevant on small objects, like aircraft,
but important on massive objects, like oilrigs. :laughing:

Attached demo BGL & FLT positioned offshore near EGNL Walney.
Rename the .txt as .flt

IIRC the teapot is intended for use with the GMax tutorial on materials.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Attachments

• CTSLODs_Remote.BGL
    68.8 KB · Views: 370
  • ODG_Test_Scenery_LOD_Switching.txt
    10 KB · Views: 420

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Actually, ACES used the ubiquitous teapot in the SDK to demonstrate how the various FSX Material options work. It's really quite an impressive inter-active set of images!

If one really wanted to go nuts, creating such primitive objects isn't all that much of a task. Could you imagine having a set of cars, trucks, or other 'decorative objects' all to the same scale and available in Max for scenery?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, I have also used it as a test object during my tool development. When working on the 3d preview of modelconverterx I used the teapot to see if I could recreate the material settings from the sdk in my rendering.

Country
spain
I always was asking myself the same question till I found a tutorial about compositing a teapot into a photograph with max and then I understand all :)

Attachments

• teapot.jpg
    teapot.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 308
Last edited: