• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Help/advice needed - No Tools Menu after 3 days trying...

Country
ireland
Relative newbie here......

Fresh instal of FSX Gold Edition, Windows 7 64bit.
Then installed fsx_sdk_sp1a
Ran Config.SDK.

All seem to install ok, buty No 'tools' menu visible when FSX running.

ADE report:

*************************************************************************************************
Date of Report: 16/05/2010 15:27:10
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Service Pack: n/a
OS Version: 6.1.7600 (64 Bit)
OS Language: English (Ireland) => separator: '.'
Nodename: JOHN-PC
ADE installed: yes
ADE Path: C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 9x
ADE Install Version: 1.47.7.0
ADE File Version: 1.47.07
ADE Info: Airport Design Editor 9x Version 1.47.7.0
FXS installed: yes
FSX Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
FSX Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)
FSX Trailing '\' Error: False
FX9 installed: yes
FS9 Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
FS9 Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)
FS9 Trailing '\' Error: False
RTM Simconnect: yes
SP1 Simconnect: yes
SP2 Simconnect: yes
FSX SDK installed: yes
FSX SDK Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SDK\
FSX SDK Trailing '\' Error: False
BGLComp Version: 10.0.61355.0 (fsx-sp1.20070510-2038)
BGLComp >= SP1: yes
Shp2Vec found: yes
.NET 1.1 installed: no
.NET 2.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.5 installed: yes
XML3 installed: yes
XML4 installed: yes
XML5 installed: no
XML6 installed: yes
FSUIPC/FS9 installed: 3.71
FSUIPC/FSX installed: 4.30
Connected to FS9 ok: no
Connected to FSX ok: no

----------------------------------------------

Are my installation paths correct?

Am at a loss how to go from here, any advice appreciated, thanks.

Country
ireland
You need to install the SDK from the Acceleration DVD.

Done....but still no 'tools' on the menu :-((

Could it be the instal paths?

ADE report:

*************************************************************************************************
Date of Report: 16/05/2010 19:33:12
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Service Pack: n/a
OS Version: 6.1.7600 (64 Bit)
OS Language: English (Ireland) => separator: '.'
Nodename: JOHN-PC
ADE installed: yes
ADE Path: C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 9x
ADE Install Version: 1.47.7.0
ADE File Version: 1.47.07
ADE Info: Airport Design Editor 9x Version 1.47.7.0
FXS installed: yes
FSX Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
FSX Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)
FSX Trailing '\' Error: False
FX9 installed: yes
FS9 Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
FS9 Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)
FS9 Trailing '\' Error: False
RTM Simconnect: yes
SP1 Simconnect: yes
SP2 Simconnect: yes
FSX SDK installed: yes
FSX SDK Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\
FSX SDK Trailing '\' Error: False
BGLComp Version: 10.0.61355.0 (fsx-sp1.20070510-2038)
BGLComp >= SP1: yes
Shp2Vec found: yes
.NET 1.1 installed: no
.NET 2.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.5 installed: yes
XML3 installed: yes
XML4 installed: yes
XML5 installed: no
XML6 installed: yes
FSUIPC/FS9 installed: 3.71
FSUIPC/FSX installed: 4.30
Connected to FS9 ok: no
Connected to FSX ok: no

Last edited:

F70

Country
netherlands
Hello,

The numbers of FSX and FSX-SDK MUST are the same numbers : 10.0.61637.0

To install the SDK for FSX Acceleration Pack:

1. Insert your Acceleration Pack DVD.
2. Browse to the subfolder called SDK\SP1a\
3. Install the SDK SP1A from there using fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe, ( dated 26/09/2007, size 165,569KB).
4. Browse to the folder called SDK\
5. Install the Acceleration SP2/XPack SDK using sdk.msi, (dated 26/09/2007, size 216,929KB).

Hope this help,Jan.:rolleyes:

Country
ireland
Hey Jan!

I wish I could buy you a beer! After a week of frustration, and having followed your helpful advice, the elusive 'tools' menu has appeared and works properly!

Many thanks,

John.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Which is, not too surprisingly, the precise same instructions to be found in the Wiki article on the subject, albeit more compact and less verbose... :D

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Says it all :)

John.

Sometimes, for some people, simpler is better.

I've often thought that perhaps the Wiki article should have two sections:

One with the simple, step-by-step procedure for those who capable of using that form, and

the second form (such as we have now), which is more expansive and comprehensive, incorporating instructions, hints, tips, details, et cetera.

I will vote for the first one.
Often, as I experience myself, it is harder to explain or ask simple (at least that is what you often think) things in an easy way than in a "more expansive and comprehensive, incorporating instructions, hints, tips, details, et cetera" way:D.

Country
ireland

Sometimes Fr. Bill, people who are not as computer savvy may appear simple when asking elementary questions on forums such as this one,

but your offensive, sarcastic remark is really uncalled for regarding my 'simplicity' or otherwise.

John.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

I've often thought that perhaps the Wiki article should have two sections...........
John -
You're selectively misquoting.

Bill's comment is about the complexity of the document.

Its not about your 'simplicity'.

Given that you'd failed to comprehend the instructions,
and two further replies with the correct information,
especially the massive text in the sticky -
FSX (all versions) - SDK - Menu - Tools not available - How to rectify.,
AND
given that this is now occurring more frequently,
then its obvious there's a problem somewhere.

I've now split the document,
as per Bill's suggestion,
it was something I'd also been thinking about for a while.

Please take a look at both,
and see if they're more comprehensible.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Last edited:
Country
ireland
Paul,

My bad.... I mistook Bill's comments for something unintended.

Thanks for taking the trouble for re-doing the instructions. I must admit they were a bit daunting, especially as I've just upgraded to Windows 7 and FSX Gold and a new i7 PC. Some learning to do.

Your time and work is certainly appreciated!

Cheers,

John.

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Paul,

My bad.... I mistook Bill's comments for something unintended.

I'm glad that I long ago developed the habit of reading all replies in a thread before replying to the first go-round...

As it happens, I am one of the people for whom "simple is better..."

I'm also rather taciturn, being habituated to use only one word instead of two or three... :D

It was most likely my paucity of expression that engendered the misperception of my reply.

Country
unitedstates
SDK Tool Menu Not Showing - Possible Solution

I don't normally post fixes but this one really frustrated me. I currently run FSX and tried installing the SDK tools. After several days of messing around I could never get it to show up in the menu. I'm sure many of you out there have gone through the same madness as me on this one. I will explain my fix and hopefully it will help someone out there. Here is a basic copy of the dll.xml that will be installed with the SDK installation.

0. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

1. <SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
2. <Descr>Launch</Descr>
3. <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
4. <Disabled>False</Disabled>
5. <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
6. <Launch.Addon>
7. <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
8. <Disabled>True</Disabled>
9. <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
10. <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation 11.Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
12. </Launch.Addon>
13. </SimBase.Document>

I labeled each line with numbers so I could reference them in this post. When you check your dll.xml file in your roaming FSX folder please check line 8. When I installed SDK it set each one to <Disabled>True</Disabled>. It installed the tools but Microsoft turns the tool menu off by default. Once I changed True to False the tools menu showed up. It was simple as that and nowhere in the instructions does it tell you to do this. I also didn't find anyone who mentioned to look for this and change it. So I hope it helps. Please make sure to use absolute paths for line 10. What I mean is type in the full path to the file. Don't use any wildcards.

Please message me if you need any help or further explanations. Way too much frustration for what should be a simple installation.

Later and happy flying.

Country
us-florida
Hi everyone. My tools menu was not showing up, and then I tried @AriesFlyer2000 's suggestion, and still did not see the tools menu.

This is my dll.xml exactly:

f<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

I was going to do what @F70 said, about reinstalling from the DVD if the numbers/version was not the same. But I can not seem to din where to find out the numbers. Does anyone else know where I can find the numbers?

Thanks in advance.

Country
unitedstates
I think, and I may well be mistaken about this, that you path is incorrect. For what it's worth, mine is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Environment kit\etc, etc.
Notice, also, that instead of \Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\ it might be just \Microsoft Games\SDK\ ? Just a thought.
Since I use FSX:SE, of course, mine is the P3D v1.4 SDK, and may well be totally different than the regular FSX SDK installation.
Always a good idea to just use copy-n-paste when entering a path. You have to add the .dll file's name manually, but the rest of the path will be sure to be correct.
I don't know if this will be any help at all...
Pat☺

Country
us-florida
Well, yes, this is FSX: Gold Edition, so it would not be in the steam\steamapps\common directory. I have verified that my paths are correct.

I am reinstalling some of the SDK's now so I will see if that helps.

Thanks.

Country
us-florida
I reinstalled SP1A of the SDK and SP2 from downloads, and it did not work. I will try reinstalling from the CD when I can, but meanwhile, I'm open to suggestions here.

Thanks

Country
us-illinois
Hi Caleb:

I am still traveling until tomorrow, so without access to my FSX computers, I can only suggest from memory, that since the SDK is installed separately from your FSX Gold installation, you will not damage FSX by un-installing (only) the SDK, then starting over with a fresh SDK install.

See if you can find a separate listing for the SDK (not to be confused with FSX itself) in:

Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features > Add / Remove Programs

I do not recall whether the SDK uses a sequential installation procedure that changes the 'version' icon for the SDK within the Add / Remove Programs list in the same way that FSX itself does.

But if so, you may need to un-install the SDK in 2 or more stages from within the Add / Remove Programs list to completely remove it, just as FSX offered the option to do when working with an install via the 2006 RTM DVDs from FSX Deluxe and Acceleration.

PS: You might also consider the possibility that the FSX SDK is still not configured properly after installation and/or moving its location.

In some such cases, after installation, one might try to ensure the Windows Registry path entries for the FSX SDK are re-written by manually running:

[FS SDK install path]\SDK\ConfigSDK.exe

If all else fails, use the fully automated installer for P3Dv1.4x SDK instead, as it is essentially identical to FSX SDK.

Hope this helps ! :santahat:

GaryGB

Last edited: