• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Help - keep getting old version of a scenery object.

Country
australia
I changed my floating docks in Blender and exported as (special) giTF and then copied all files (giTF, bin, xml) to my Package Sources folder overwriting the existing files and proved they were correct by importing the giTF into Blender to check that they are the correct 'version'.

I build my scenery and export to the community folder but I keep seeing the OLD floating dock.

I think I am getting confused with using the scenery model in LOM and using it in Models? and have deleted the entry in LOM and then used Tools>User Model Manager selected the object name and clicked on GET MODELS and then on completion (no errors) COPY TO COMMUNITY FOLDER and on completion ADE advises that it can't find the .bgl file (JGA-cae5-whistler-modellib.bgl) and to manually search for it which I then do and it reports GET MODELS DONE.

After I BUILD my project I then open the bgl (in the Packages folder) using MCX and it shows the OLD dock so no wonder it is wrong in FS.

Could someone please advise firstly how to remove ALL traces of the old model in ADE and the best method to add it to my project. I am at screaming point.

Thanks

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I'm seeing the same, but not all the time. If I had the model in the Scenery Editor, not in the Community folder, I was always able to make a minor change to a model and it would immediately update in the sim after I exported it again. There was some mechanism that detected a change in a component file and did the substitution. Whenever I added a new model or replaced a model with another, though, I would have to a) rebuild the package, b) close the Scenery Editor, c) close the Project Editor, d) re-open the Project Editor and the project and e) reload the BGL into the Scenery Editor.
That has changed in the latest version (September, 2021).
Now, if I add or substitute a new model, I have to a) Clean the Project - to get rid of the old model(s) entirely, b) Rebuild the Project, and go through the usual Load in Editor an so on. Now, however, most of the time the model framework (white line box) appears, but no model ever shows up. I have to close everything, including the sim and restart the sim, the Project Editor and so on. Now my model with the added part appears.
Anyway, there's something I'm missing here. I can appreciate the complexity of a dependency hierarchy of such a file-change monitoring system, but I've got to experiment more to psych it out.
So, suggestions:
Don't put your model into the Community folder until you're done with it. That's what I did initially, but I then had two models in the sim (in an earlier version).
If you make a major change like adding or substituting a new mode, Clean the Package first. This seems to "unmount" the previous model. (Tip: Before you Build the Package, tap the tilde (~) key to bring up the Console and clear it out. This way, you'll have a clean list of errors. I've gotten pretty good, and I haven't seen any errors or warnings for a long time on most builds. Tap the tilde key again to get rid of the Console.)
Close and restart the sim to make the new model known to the file dependency hierarchy system. This may get rid of the old file's being compiled instead of the new one.

I'm using 1.19.8.0 sim and 0.14.1 SDK along with Blender 2.93 with the latest Blender2MSFS Toolkit.

I've stopped screaming, and I still have all my hair.

Country
australia
Thanks but I think you are 'talking' about building in SDK.
I am using Airport Design Editor.

I have tried something else since my initial post. I remembered that someone once suggested removing/deleting the _PackInt and Packages folders and BUILD again.
I did this and although I still did not get any errors the build did not create an output .bgl in the Packages (global/scenery) folder (eg (JGA-cae5-whistler-modellib.bgl).
It also did not write the layout.json and manifold.json files
It did though write the Texture folder and its contents and the cae5-airport.bgl file in the world/scenery folder

JON are you able to suggest what the problem might be? It seems something weird is going on.

Country
australia
SOLVED
IN a nutshell the output .bgl was not being updated because there was a rogue .giTF and .Bin file in my PackageSources folder.
VERY hard to track down as the BUILD was not reporting any problem.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I changed my floating docks in Blender and exported as (special) giTF and then copied all files (giTF, bin, xml) to my Package Sources folder overwriting the existing files and proved they were correct by importing the giTF into Blender to check that they are the correct 'version'.

I build my scenery and export to the community folder but I keep seeing the OLD floating dock.

I think I am getting confused with using the scenery model in LOM and using it in Models? and have deleted the entry in LOM and then used Tools>User Model Manager selected the object name and clicked on GET MODELS and then on completion (no errors) COPY TO COMMUNITY FOLDER and on completion ADE advises that it can't find the .bgl file (JGA-cae5-whistler-modellib.bgl) and to manually search for it which I then do and it reports GET MODELS DONE.

After I BUILD my project I then open the bgl (in the Packages folder) using MCX and it shows the OLD dock so no wonder it is wrong in FS.

Could someone please advise firstly how to remove ALL traces of the old model in ADE and the best method to add it to my project. I am at screaming point.

Thanks

If you update the model then you need to use the User Model Manager to update it in ADE and for MSFS. This does build the project. If you have the same model in the LOM and the UMM then you cannot be sure which version will be displayed in the ADE display.

You should not load the ModelLib.bgl file from a project into the LOM. The whole point of the UMM is to allow you to easily update custom models.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
SOLVED
IN a nutshell the output .bgl was not being updated because there was a rogue .giTF and .Bin file in my PackageSources folder.
VERY hard to track down as the BUILD was not reporting any problem.

OK - I should read to the end before I start to reply. So what happens is that if the Build find and error it does not generate a new modelLib bgl file so no updates appear.