• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Help needed with scenery

Messages
9
Country
canada
I am an absolute newbie and I have managed to put a few building in my non-existant hometown, (at least according to fsx) as well as some roads and a river. I also redesigned the lake shore of the lake that feeds the river. Everything seems to be ok except I can see a line where the default shoreline was. Can I get rid of it? Any help would be appreciated.

I was also wondering if there was a way that you could produce the road network of a small town without a million little files. I did try a poly line from google earth and it sort of worked but I tried as one big poly line and of course I had to backtrack over roads and when they rendered, some of them looked bigger than the others.

Also, the tags that tell what your scenery is are fairly descriptive but I really don't know where to use the different types. Is there a manual or and explanation site somewhere?

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated. In any event, I'm having fun trying out different things.

:confused::) Frank
 
Hi Frank,

What tools are you using?

Since you are editing the terrain I guess it might be SBuilderX. To remove the default shoreline I would try to add a terrain exlcude.

About the roads. You can just draw all roads you want in SBuilderX. They will be exported as one file.
 
Thanks

Thanks Arno,

I am using FSX_Kml, prefsxkml, and google earth and the necessary programs that are used by those programs. I haven't heard about the program you mentioned. I will investigate it. Thanks for your reply.

Frank
 
I guess you are using FsxKml, regarding to the first question you should use the exclude shoreline tag, you can add then a new shoreline, according to the new coasline.
 
shoreline

Hi again, I'm still a little puzzled as to how you set this up. If I make a polygon shape of a lake and I put the exclude shoreline tag on it, then add it to my fsx scenery, then I make the same file (maybe with a diff name) and tag it with water. Do I then make another copy of the same file and tag it with shoreline again. I am unclear as to the steps involved. If that's the case, wouldn't you end up with a huge mess of files in your addon scenery folder?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks again for your time.

Frank
 
There is something that is important, if you create a folder in google earth, you will make so many files as you want in that folder and export that folder as a kml file with as many polys as you want, and you will get only a file,
Another thing, if you create a new coastline, you must exclude the coastline with water, and of course exclude the old shoreline, and add a new shoreline, etc..
 
Last edited:
FJ- How's your project coming along? IN SbuilderX you can have many things happening. Use a poly tosxclude shorelines, another poly or lines to draw in your roads.

In google isn't your town visible? If so, In SbuilderX you can create a photoreal. You will now have your town with roads, etc.

And since yo uare fairly new- welcome to the family. Great people here. Bob
 
Back
Top