• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX How do I Cover a Portion of a Photo Real Image

Hi Gary,
I was just going over some of the things here we've discussed and wanted to be sure I understand them correctly, since I didn't have some of my replies correct.

No, it means toggling of the ReprojectMercatorTiles parameter value in SBuilderX.ini is only correct for those tiles that are downloaded and assembled into a 1-piece image via SBuilderX ...when you require such an image to be output in either EPSG:4326 or EPSG:3857 GIS format.

Okay, so tell me if I'm correct. When I download an image from the web that is warped or the ESPG:4326, I would toggle the ReprojectMercatorTile to "TRUE." If the image is Non-warped or the ESPG:3857, I would toggle the ReprojectMercatorTile to False. And in these cases, one would use the File> Add Map> From Disk, and then would have to be calibrated.

Now, here's what I want to be sure I have correct. If I'm downloading, or using the tiles or images built in SbuilderX, I would toggle the ReprojectMercatorTiles to False. Am I correct?

I found several videos on the web that discuss things like Datam, WGS84, UTM, and how they relate. They have helped quite a bit. Since the earth is not a perfect sphere and is oblong in all shape, and depending on where you live, this explains why there are multiple datams and I never could understand why there were so many. I understand now that this is why other datams have to be reprojected to the WGS84 datam in the US for things to line up. I really didn't know for sure at first, but I've learned that google earth uses the WGS84 datam, and I assume that means I can download earlier images from google earth to use in Sbuilder X. Of course, it would have to be calibrated but the problem is that I never could figured out how to get the coordinates that's required by SbuilderX. Is there a way to attain the correct coordinates that I can use for SbuilderX, just as it does internally?

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
When I download an image from the web that is warped or the ESPG:4326, I would toggle the ReprojectMercatorTile to "TRUE."

AFAIK, SBuilderX only re-projects EPSG:3857 imagery downloaded via its own internal tile downloader DLL ...into EPSG:4236 format.

A SBuilder function to perform general GIS re-projection into other GIS formats was not advanced beyond (1) by Arno (...for the FS9 version ?)

IIUC, one may not use SBuilderX as a GIS re-projection utility for any task other than to "ReprojectMercatorTiles" from EPSG:3857 > EPSG:4326.

That SBuilderX function is only for "Add Map From Background" internally-downloaded tiles.

One may not re-project imagery Added from Disk via SBuilderX; one must perform that re-projection in a GIS application

If the image is Non-warped or the ESPG:3857, I would toggle the 'ReprojectMercatorTiles' to False.

And in these cases, one would use the File> Add Map> From Disk, and then would have to be calibrated.

Only if the tiles were downloaded via the SBuilderX internal tile downloader DLL 'Add Map From Background' feature.

Now, here's what I want to be sure I have correct. If I'm downloading, or using the tiles or images built in SBuilderX, I would toggle the ReprojectMercatorTiles to False.

Only if the tiles were downloaded via the SBuilderX internal tile downloader DLL 'Add Map From Background' feature.

Only if doing 3D modeling or designing / drawing Airport Facilities infrastructure objects.

CAVEAT: After all tracing / designing / creating Airport Facilities infrastructure objects is finished:

* All versions of FS2Kx / MSFS SDK Airport Facilities infrastructure object (and terrain SDK) compilers require final source files to be in EPSG:4326

I found several videos on the web that discuss things like Datum, WGS84, UTM, and how they relate. They have helped quite a bit. Since the earth is not a perfect sphere and is oblate in all shape, and depending on where you live, this explains why there are multiple datums and I never could understand why there were so many.

I understand now that this is why other datums have to be re-projected to the WGS84 datum in the US for things to line up.

GIS 'Projection' format may visually "warp" imagery even more than an incorrect datum; thus one re-projects imagery.

Remember: EPSG is a single reference number that refers to BOTH the GIS "projection" and the "Datum" for a GIS formatted data set.

I really didn't know for sure at first, but I've learned that google earth uses the WGS84 datum, and I assume that means I can download earlier images from google earth to use in SBuilderX. Of course, it would have to be calibrated but the problem is that I never could figured out how to get the coordinates that's required by SBuilderX.

Is there a way to attain the correct coordinates that I can use for SBuilderX just as it does internally?

Ken.

FYI: Google Earth imagery saved as a *.JPG and/or exported *.KML / *.KMZ data ...will be in a "warped" EPSG:4326 GIS format. :alert:

I am not aware of a way to derive Geo-referencing data via a "world" file for calibrating in SBuilderX, Google Earth imagery saved as a *.JPG

I am not certain if one of the older SBuilderX Google tile-server DLLs still can access Google's servers for older tiles (not sure it still works).

I am also not certain if configuring SASPlanet for an older version of Google tiles still works either.

There 'may' be a way to access Google imagery tiles using QGIS, but I do not have time to study QGIS and comment on QGIS' functionality.

GaryGB

Last edited:
FYI: Google Earth imagery saved as a *.JPG and/or exported *.KML / *.KMZ data ...will be in a "warped" EPSG:4326 GIS format. :alert:

Hi Gary,

Okay, so it is the WGS84 but it's in the warped EPSG:4326 GIS format. But I'm just curious. In google earth, when you click the button at the top that says "Show Sidebar," there is a check box that says "Terrain," and it can be checked or uncheck. I was wondering if this box is checked, does that make the map more warped because it adds elevation to the image and varies at different locations. When this box is uncheck, the ground looks as though it's a 2D map with no elevation. I guess you understand what I'm saying here, but I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with rather the map is warped when the box is checked and the map is non-warped when the box is unchecked. It probably doesn't but just curious. Checking this box adds elevation or altitude to the map.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
Google Earth 'drapes' imagery onto a 30 to 90 Meter resolution SRTM-derived terrain mesh, which visually distorts the imagery to fit their 3D model.

Google Earth's 2D / 3D map 'view' is non-warped EPSG:3857.

A Google Earth 2D / 3D map view screen capture shows non-warped EPSG:3857 imagery (but Google Earth includes no Geo-referencing data for it).

'Only' Google Earth imagery or data saved / exported to *.JPG and/or *.KML / *.KMZ is internally re-projected by Google to EPSG:4326 GIS format.

'Only' Google imagery tiles downloaded by a GIS-enabled utility such as SBuilderX or a GIS application such as SASPlanet (or perhaps QGIS ?) will be able to provide Geo-referencing data for Google imagery tiles using iprecise nformation derived from the actual online tile servers themselves.

GaryGB

Last edited:
No, it means toggling of the ReprojectMercatorTiles parameter value in SBuilderX.ini is only correct for those tiles that are downloaded and assembled into a 1-piece image via SBuilderX ...when you require such an image to be output in either EPSG:4326 or EPSG:3857 GIS format.

Imagery downloaded from other websites. like Earth Explorer, may- or may not- be in the correct GIS projection and/or datum for FS tasks.

If EarthExplorer imagery you select is not already in a GIS format required for FS task(s), it will need to be "re-formatted" in a GIS application.

That SBuilderX function is only for "Add Map From Background" internally-downloaded tiles.

One may not re-project imagery Added from Disk via SBuilderX; one must perform that re-projection in a GIS application

It doesn't seem that I've been getting this right, so let me see if I get it right this time. From what I understand, the toggling of the ReprojectMercatorTiles is ONLY when using the Add Map > From Background feature, and not when adding maps, or images using the Add Map from Disk feature. But when one adds a map or image from the web or images from google earth using the Add Map > from Disk, they first must be formatted using a GIS application.

After you identify imagery (from among the many tiles available via the EarthExplorer web portal) that you wish to utilize for your KBHM historical scenery reconstruction project, send me a PM with details as to individual file names with specific URLs for each tile that makes up the image coverage extent you intend to utilize, and I may be able to advise you further. ;)

GaryGB

Okay.

I've been going over the QGIS program trying to learn how to used it and watching some of the videos on youtube. I imported some of my images and maps of KBHM that you've sent me and those I've downloaded from Earth Explorer into this program. At the bottom right, I've noticed a button that indicates the projection, like EPSG:4326. When I clicked on that, it opens another window that gives me many types of projections. From what I keep hearing, when you import the image in the QGIS program, the information given at the bottom right indicates what projection that image was formatted in. But it doesn't seem to be doing that because I can import several images and the information stays the same, no matter how the image is projected. I think it's set to some default. But I keep hearing and reading that when the image or map is imported, it tells you information about that particular map or image that was just imported. Is that true?

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
It doesn't seem that I've been getting this right, so let me see if I get it right this time. From what I understand, the toggling of the ReprojectMercatorTiles is ONLY when using the Add Map > From Background feature, and not when adding maps, or images using the Add Map from Disk feature. But when one adds a map or image from the web or images from google earth using the Add Map > from Disk, they first must be formatted using a GIS application.

The work-space of SBuilderX (like Google Earth, Bing etc.) is intended to display- and work with- imagery ONLY in a non-warped EPSG:3857 GIS format.

In the case of SBuilderX, imagery ONLY in a non-warped EPSG:3857 GIS format may be loaded as a 'Map' via Add Map > From >:

* Background

...or:

* Disk (must be a standard Windows BMP file)

One should NOT attempt to 'trick' SBuilderX (or ADE) into loading / calibrating imagery that is NOT in a non-warped EPSG:3857 GIS format.

Source data Appended / imported / created in the SBuilderX (or ADE) work-space must be projected in a non-warped EPSG:3857 GIS format.

Output data from SBuilderX (or ADE) must be re-projected in a warped EPSG:4326 GIS format before submitted for processing by FS SDK compilers.

AFAIK, Output data from SBuilderX (or ADE) is automatically re-projected in a warped EPSG:4326 GIS format before processing by FS SDK compilers.

I've been going over the QGIS program trying to learn how to used it and watching some of the videos on youtube. I imported some of my images and maps of KBHM that you've sent me and those I've downloaded from Earth Explorer into this program. At the bottom right, I've noticed a button that indicates the projection, like EPSG:4326. When I clicked on that, it opens another window that gives me many types of projections. From what I keep hearing, when you import the image in the QGIS program, the information given at the bottom right indicates what projection that image was formatted in. But it doesn't seem to be doing that because I can import several images and the information stays the same, no matter how the image is projected. I think it's set to some default. But I keep hearing and reading that when the image or map is imported, it tells you information about that particular map or image that was just imported. Is that true?

Ken.

Perhaps those here who work with QGIS will be able to answer that question for you; I use Global Mapper instead of QGIS. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Perhaps those here who work with QGIS will be able to answer that question for you; I use Global Mapper instead of QGIS. ;)

Oh, okay. I kept thinking you used the QGIS. I do have the Demo version, which is version 13, and it's the one you sent me a while back. Can I use that one for all my GIS needs or do I have to purchase it to be able to use all it's functions? I have just installed the Demo version. I also have the Global Mapper Training manual from Blue Marble Geographics. But it says in the manual that a registered version of .16, or later, is required, so I don't guess I'll be able to use it until I purchase it.

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Oh, okay. I kept thinking you used the QGIS. I do have the < Global Mapper? > Demo version, which is version 13, and it's the one you sent me a while back.

Can I use that one for all my GIS needs or do I have to purchase it to be able to use all it's functions?

I have just installed the Demo version. I also have the Global Mapper Training manual from Blue Marble Geographics. But it says in the manual that a registered version of .16, or later, is required, so I don't guess I'll be able to use it until I purchase it.

Ken.

On August 16, 2019, I PM'd you a link to an original free-to-use USGS GIS viewer called DLGV32 (also available as payware known as Global Mapper).

That free-to-use DLGV32 GIS viewer originally downloaded from USGS, is limited to viewing only 4 files at a time, and cannot export or save data.

IIRC, USGS later stopped distributing that DLGV32 package, and instead substituted a link to a demo version of Global Mapper v13.

CAVEAT: Global Mapper v13 demo, like DLGV32, is limited to viewing only 4 files at a time, and cannot export or save data.

If you install a demo of the current version of Global Mapper on your new build of Windows 10, it 'may' be available as full-function software for the duration of the trial period (2 weeks ?) before it times out permanently (IIUC, it cannot be re-installed or otherwise run again as a demo). :alert:

So before you install that, I recommend you first become proficient with peertinent features of Global Mapper v13 so you get more use from the demo.

If you have only installed DLGV32 or Global Mapper v13, they will be subject to the feature and functionality limitations cited above.

GaryGB

Last edited:
On August 16, 2019, I PM'd you a link to an original free-to-use USGS GIS viewer called DLGV32 (also available as payware known as Global Mapper).

That's the one I have installed now.

That free-to-use DLGV32 GIS viewer originally downloaded from USGS, is limited to viewing only 4 files at a time, and cannot export or save data.

I guess that means that even after I have reformatted or re-projected my KBHM aerial image from 1970, I won't be able to use it in SbuilderX, correct?

So before you install that, I recommend you first become proficient with peertinent features of Global Mapper v13 so you get more use from the demo.

Okay.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
I guess that means that even after I have reformatted or re-projected my KBHM aerial image from 1970, I won't be able to use it in SbuilderX, correct?

If the imagery is not EPSG:3857, you will need to re-project the source imagery in a current trial version of Global Mapper that, IIRC, is fully functional for only a limited period of time.

After you identify imagery (from among the many tiles available via the EarthExplorer web portal) that you wish to utilize for your KBHM historical scenery reconstruction project, send me a PM with details as to individual file names with specific URLs for each tile that makes up the image coverage extent you intend to utilize, and I may be able to advise you further. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited: