• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Importing animated characters into MSFS - what is the secret??

Country
australia
Hi all,

am trying to use an animated character from Renderpeople.com, using .FBX import into Blender (3.0 and 3.2)), and export to MSFS.
But the textures and animation won't work. I've seen a few posts about the topic but no definitive answers.
Have addressed the file structure/naming issues and texture file dimensions problems.
Any gurus on this topic out there? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Country
argentina
There are no definitive answers, it depends on the problem, adding an animated object in MSFS is not something that is done in such a direct way.

Some considerations:
If you see the object correctly in blender (shape, materials, etc) you should check if you are exporting it correctly, the export plugins have several options to take into account.
Also, to be able to see it correctly you must include the object it in an MSFS project (aircraft or scenery) and "Build" it.
About animations, it is even more complex, in Blender they must be converted to NLA (No Linear Animation), and they must then be declared and somehow "called" in some of the simulator xml files (model.xml or animations.xml)
There are many tutorials out there about all these topics, I recommend you start there, you must be prepared for many hours of reading, videos and try and error.
Regards.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You should probably confirm that you know about both Blender to MSFS exporters and that you are using the proper one with your version of Blender. I believe that means you must use the Asobo exporter and that you cannot use the Vitus exporter, but I'm not certain as I use 3ds Max.

Country
argentina
@Newguy789,

You must verify that before exporting you applied all the transformations in blender (Apply All Transformation)

Also, the animations need to have a starting point, you must create an animation only with the rest pose and for all the armature bones create a keyframe for all the transformations (location rotation scale) and that animation must be on top of all the NLA list.

Hope that help

Country
unitedkingdom
I gave up attempting to use Blender with animated characters. No matter what I did it was impossible to export without distortion. I think there must be some sort of origin problem.

This is entirely with models animated by other people that you import. Maybe if you do it from scratch in Blender it will work. I'm not patient or good enough to do that myself.

This technique does work and bypasses Blender completely - https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...d-animation-in-msfs.452304/page-4#post-885790

But you're restricted to the animations available in Mixamo which are pretty limited in choice.

In the case of a Renderpeople model you'll need to remove their animation first and then feed it into Mixamo as a standard T pose. I usually import the original into Blender, export as a .obj minus animation, import that and then export out as a non animated FBX ready to drop into Mixamo.

There's an original static Blend of a renderpeople file with LOD, the Mixamo outputs and the final files ready to use in the sim after being fed through fbx2gltf.

Attachments

• Human.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
This technique does work and bypasses Blender completely - https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...d-animation-in-msfs.452304/page-4#post-885790

But you're restricted to the animations available in Mixamo which are pretty limited in choice.
This is not entirely accurate, the limitation is to animated FBX files. Mixamo is only a source, here are two more, even Turbosquid gives and sells animated FBX files.

Country
unitedkingdom
Indeed, but you often can't preview the animations and you can't adjust them doing it this way.

I've managed to get a couple of animated models from Sketchfab to work in the same way, but that groups all the animations together in one FBX so you have to manually edit the finished gltf to remove them to get one looped animation, if there is one to be had.

I presume 3ds Max users don't have this problem. Not sure what's different about the two programs.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ya well I tried some mocap and for that I used Brekel and a Kinect One into 3ds Max and it was way too choppy. This guy at Simulcore uses Reallusion, it's advantage over Mixamo is that is has a much deeper library and animations can also be mouse driven. You'd still need some 3d FBX platform, I think Reallusion has an autorigger, so even Sketchup could work. 3ds Max is very powerful and sophisticated, Autodesk also has its own library, character generator engine and 3ds Max can do those Simulcore type scenes, the downside is that it is really hard to learn, imo.

Country
italy
Finally I found some time to make a tutorial about this topic, this is my technique,
Require more work that the suggested one from @superspud but everything is "transparent" and any corrections can be made to the characters and animations