• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Issue with GLTF textures display

Hi all,
Huge fan of MCX for years (being a painter, this has been the most usefull tool for me aside from Photoshop :) )

Up to now, was creating liveries for FSX and P3D without issue, MCX was the perfect viewer

I'm now switching to MFS and found the latest version is able to read the new model format

Sadly, at this point I can't see the texture (livery)...what do I miss here ?

Thx for support

1613571665901.png

Jeepee

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Where are the textures stored relative to the model? Might be MSFS does that slightly different.

It's like previous versions, a texture.xxx folder declared in the aircraft.cfg file and also a list of files in the layout.json file.
So files are stored like previous sims like FSX or Prepar3D, but sim calls himself file list aside

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Let me check, it's probably that the glTF loader does not check for the aircraft.cfg like the mdl loader does.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Yes, I think that is the issue. I just did some tests here. But I can't fix it instantly, I'll have to dive a bit deeper in the involved source code to see how I can modify the importer to read the cfg file correctly for both FSX and MSFS.

Oki, I understand and really appreciate your work
Since I'm nowhere in 3d but quite busy with textures, your tool is a must for me

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I'll try to have a look at it this weekend.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have started to work on this, but some other bug reports have distracted me. So it's not finished yet. I first need to implement logic to read the MSFS model xml, as the aircraft.cfg references via that file.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I have just finished a first implementation. It will be available in the next development release (should be online in about 15 minutes).

When reading a MSFS glTF model MCX will locate the aircraft.cfg file now and read the livery information from it. That should be enough to get the right textures to show.

MCX does not yet read all information from the model XML file, for example the animation definitions are not yet read from it. That is something I still need to work on.

Installed a version I downloaded today 3rd March, still no luck with GLTF files, should I set something up within the program ?
I actually don't need animations, I only look at model to see how the textures I'm painting show up :)

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

You should see that the latest version can parse the liveries of the aircraft. It did also notice yesterday that the fallbacks don't always work yet, that's because packages sometimes refer other packages.

Confirm me that by downloading the "latest release" I actually do exactly that ?
I tried yesterday, still no parsing of the liveries
Could it have to be model specific?
With MDL files I have hardly any issue

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Which MSFS model are you using? Is it a default model?

AT this point, usually, DC Designs F-15
I can try with some default model
BTW, another great thank you for your involvment :)

Point is, by default, native planes have only a single livery, so difficult to test ;-)
Loaded two native planes, they partly show their single livery