• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 KMYL - McCall, Idaho

Great Job

You really have to release this. I'm up in CDA and love flying around our state, this would be a great addition.

You're on the list whether it gets released publicly or not, BTW, do you ever pass through McCall? I need pictures and I think I'll let this project stagnate for a while until I can make a trip down there and get some documentation. Of course right now the airport is covered with 5 feet of snow, so I was planning that for this spring sometime. On the odd chance that you might commute to Boise twice a week, I thought I'd ask. :)

Jim

Hi Jim,

once again, I must say that it's fantastic!

One question: how did you get the windows to have that 'reflection'? Is it in the texture or something in FS materials?

Thanks Michael, no it's just the texture. I found some really nice high-res studio shots they must have had done for promo brochures or something. I had to do the back glass reflection myself though which I did with a white gradient layer. You can tell it doesn't look as good as the side windows :p .

Jim

I have a good garage door texture with nice glass reflections that I got from one of the free texture sites several years ago...

Jim

Last edited:
Hey Michael I believe this is the texture I've been using for this, if it isn't the exact one it is very similar...

Jim

Last edited:
Hey Michael I believe this is the texture I've been using for this, if it isn't the exact one it is very similar. That large assortment of reflections in the upper windows is what I usually go for:

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=9566

I usually find that it's simply too large as downloaded for most texturing projects, the bits & pieces of the reflection are too large for the windows, so I usually resize it down to 512 px or so before I start copying pieces.

Jim

Oh wow! Thanks!

I'll try to implement that whenever I can! I find it takes your already amazing scenery "over the top" and I hope it will do the same for me :D

thanks again!

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Would you mild telling me which tutorial did you follow to make this magnificent car?

I thought we are fascinated in cars as much as airplanes.

I did some cars in gmax. Those I made are just only 200-300 polygons like these pictures but they are not as good as what you have done. The texture of these cars contain in one piece 1024*1024 only. I need this models since the default cars in FS9 don't look like Thailand vehicles. Most of the cars in Thailand are Japanese cars.

Fortuner
Fortuner.jpg

Camry
camry.jpg

Jazz
JazzB.jpg

Altis
Altis.jpg

CRV
CRV.jpg

Red big bus
Redbus.jpg

Thanks Ryan, yeah maybe I need to dig out the 'ole Kiss albums and the air guitar :) .

~~~~~~~~~~

Those cars would be perfect jtana, just the right amount of detail without going overboard. I wish he had "edged faces" turned on. I looked at quite a few tutorials, most were pretty similar but here's a couple:

http://www.coldmind.dk/tutorial/

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/seatleon/

And this video series looked pretty good. I don't have bandwidth to view all of them but I downloaded the first one and thought it was quite good. Check out this guy's channel, he's got another tut on setting up the background images too.

3dmax tutorial car modeling part 1of6

There was another video on youtube of some kid that did it using 'lines' and apparently turned them into editable poly. The video was accelerated so you couldn't really tell what he was doing, but it looked interesting. I tried it a little using beziers but I wound up with way too many vertices, didn't like it.

Jim

Jim your textures are absolutely stunning. How did you learn how to build the textures like so? Im trying photoreal images and it just doesn't seem to take the cake.

Boy I dunno Ryan, I started fiddling around with winamp skins in "Ulead PhotoImpact" about 10 yrs ago. I got "PhotoShop Elements" not long after, and started learning the PS way of doing things. I did a few aircraft repaints, then made some gauges, some web graphics, etc. I just play mostly :)

Jim

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
I agree with wideloadwhitford. Your texture is excellent. I thought it was a photo in the first place.

I think mapping the texture on those car is quite difficult since the car is not a building, simple box.

What do you recommend for the method of mapping texture?

Thanks very much, but I think you guys give me entirely too much credit :) .

jtana I did the car...

kmyl_44.jpg

my texture sheet came out looking a little like one of the default MS aircraft textures:

kmyl_45.jpg

Jim

Last edited: