• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 KMYL - McCall, Idaho

Country
unitedstates
Hey Jim, I think this is alot to ask for but do you mind showing what any one of your hangers looks like in Gmax followed by how your UVW map/Unwrap also?

I am having extreme difficultly with my simple house that goes onto my field, I think I might be doing something wrong with my maps.

Thanks if you can, Ryan

Country
unitedstates
Have you seen this video in the wiki? I don't fiddle with the material IDs like the video shows, but you're gonna love the tecnique he uses for print screening the UVW editor to make the texture sheet layout if you don't know that trick yet.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Texturing_a_GMax_building_video_tutorial

Another good excersise is the infamous MS SDK house tutorial, cleverly disguised as 'gmaxSceneryTutorial.doc' in your Gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\docs folder.

There's also a great section on maximizing usage of your texture sheet by calculating the areas of the textured surfaces and dividing by the available pixels in Arno's Sketchup tutorial which is highly recommended reading even if you're not using Sketchup:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Build_your_house_using_SketchUp

Have fun,
Jim

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Thanks a million Jim! I am taking a look now and wow your a great modeler!

When I zoom in with gmax is this normal for it to be blurry? I have my 9800GTX driver plugged in and gmax recognizes it.

normal.jpg

Thanks, Ryan

Country
unitedstates
Yeah, that's about what it looks like on mine too. No big deal on that model, check out the house tutorial, it shows you how to do the eaves like that, for example. Probably takes 15 min or less to make the basic mesh. The real work is in PhotoShop after you've reached the point where I zipped it up and uploaded it.

Now I'm trying to fit that building in at KMYL somehow, but it's too small for anything there except for one hangar, but the door should have been on the long side of the building with the roof peak running across the short direction. Oh well... use it if you can find a place for it. :)

Jim

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Increase the "length" a bit, add a center wall, then clone/paste the door and opening at the other end. Use it to hold two small GA... :idea:

Country
unitedstates
I feel like an expectant father or something, my Sister just called from McCall tonight, she's armed with a camera and she's gonna get pictures of the airport for me in the morning! I don't know whether I'm pleased or frightened. I may have to do the whole airport over if I don't have it right! She said her son (my nephew, who's already "beta tested" my KMYL project) said "Hey, there's McCall Aviation" when they drove by :D .

Sorry for the 'nothing' post, I'm stoked, I just had to tell someone :)

Jim

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Fingers crossed.

No doubt you'll see stuff you want to redo or add ... but that's good.

So long as they haven;t upgraded the whole airport (like most of Qld and WA in Australia have recently :rolleyes: )

Country
unitedstates
There's a major upgrade for KMYL on the table at city council right now, they're planning a longer runway spaced farther from the taxiway, all new aprons, etc. Some opponents of the project think the entire airport should be closed and relocated further South, away from the city of McCall. That would really screw up a neat approach into Rwy 16 (and take half the fun out of my scenery). If there's any good to be found in an economy slump, maybe it's that it will likely delay the airport improvement project a few years so I can get KMYL done before the airport changes :) .

Sis texted me this morning, said the airport was dreary and covered with snow but she got like 125 pics. It's all good though, that'll give me a clue what HW is supposed to look like, right? I'm still planning like 3 days down there this summer when the snow's gone. I may even rent a bush plane/pilot while I'm there and fly into a couple of the wilderness strips like Soldier Bar, Johnson Creek, Cabin Creek, etc.

She should be home with the goods in a few days...

tick, tock... :cool:

Jim

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi Jim,
Are you going to turn this car into a drivable car? I think it would be nice to drive this car not just looking at it.
Regards,
Tic

Country
unitedstates
Hi Tic,
I was thinking about that myself, the truck sucks as a scenery object as my computer isn't very powerful and I get a stutter every time it comes into view. I may at some point attempt to make it drivable but honestly I think if I were to put the effort into learning how to model user aircraft, I'd model something that flies instead.

Since the day I first installed FS2002 I've wanted to be able to fly some of the RC airplanes I built and flew as a kid in the sim. I think a "SIG Kadet" with a virtual cockpit and a dummy model airplane engine sticking out of the cowl would be about the cutest thing I've ever seen for FS. My first attempt at modeling a user aircraft would probably be something like that :) .

...so, I don't know what to do with the truck, I think it was just a really fun waste of time. ;)

Jim

Country
france
You show brilliant texturing and modelling skills, Jim! I must say i'm amazed by the quality of your textures. Thumbs up ! :)

Country
unitedstates
This isn't really a progress post, because I haven't made much since we talked last, but for the record, the project's not completely dormant. I had the urge last week and got a good start on "Dew Aircraft".

This will be another of the airport's centerpieces so I'm going a bit further than "generic hangar" on this one. It get's it's own high-res ground poly, flowers, trees, chairs, etc. The doors are built in 2 sections and will be animated to a NAV2 frequency. The tin flashing above the doors is modeled so the doors will slide back & forth under it. I don't have any pics of the interior but I hope to piece together something that will pass for that when the doors are open. I've used up 2 texture sheets so far and I've still got 2 walls on the back side that aren't textured yet.

I've done some other stuff too, but don't have screenshots. If you look closely at the far right of the screenshot you can see the tail end of a Subaru Outback on it's way up Hwy 55 which was one of the more recent additions. I've got a couple more hangars built in the south hangar area and some work done on the taxiways in that area as well.

kmyl_51.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
Jim

Country
us-idaho
Oooh oooh! Are you going to release this? Oh please oh please!? I live in McCall and have been looking for a good fs9 MYL scenery for years now. Your scenery looks top notch and would sure be sweet installed in my scenery folder! :)

Country
unitedstates
This one is pretty much dormant folks, sorry. I won't say it's completely dead, but I'm working on an FSX commercial project now and haven't even had FS9 running for several months.

rishkov, any chance you could get on the airport for some photos? I have a fairly good assortment of documentation, but some straight-on shots of a few of the hangars would be immensely helpful. I have this for example that my sister brought home almost a year ago, and while it's a nice photo, and much better than no photo at all, I wish she had walked the length of those hangars and photographed each one from a straight-on point of view:

IMG_1763.jpg

I might consider assembling an alpha build for you so that you'd have what I have so far. Then maybe if you'd be interested in getting me some photos once in a while, I could add a hangar or two occasionally and send you updates as I go. The commercial project must take precedence of course, KMYL for FS9 would have to be 2nd priority.

Jim