• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Lifespan of a computer mouse 👎

CĂ©drice

Resource contributor
How long do you manage to keep a computer mouse alive ?
It's hell, I feel like I'm going to look for one every four months, the wheel always seems to die before everything else....
I'm thinking of buying a full box 😓

Really? The one I have at work, I've had/still have for 10 years, logitech wired, and the one at home is 4 years old logitech and wireless.

Same here. Bought around 3 or 4 last year, now the wheel is broken again. It was not even cheap mouses. 20 + Euro always.

Im really tired of this.

CĂ©drice

Resource contributor
Without a mouse wheel have understood how the task is less easy...
Thanks Ron, I'll be watching this when the stores open

tgibson

Resource contributor
For mine it was the left mouse button - started giving me double clicks. I replaced it (over 10 years old) with a Logitech M90.

For mine it was the left mouse button - started giving me double clicks. I replaced it (over 10 years old) with a Logitech M90.
I have a very simple logitech M235 for over 10 years now (wireless)
I'm using rechargeable AA accu - from 2 brands, Varta 2500mAh, and Panasonic 1900mAh, for over 4 year (actually, I have 4 per brand)

Mine also started giving double clicks since 2016, AND, I had scrolling troubles (much slower to scroll in scrolling panels, like a web navigator page or windows explorer, and trouble zooming in compatible applications).
However, after several months of pain and suffer, I discovered it happens when there are power problems :
1) discharged accu
2) dirty/dusty accu contact(s) with mouse metal connector (sorry, I speak french, I'm talking about this flat piece of metal on one side and the spiral on the other where the positive and negative of the accu are in contact with)
3) Crappy/scratched accu nodes (? - the + and - metalic dipoles)

So, when that happens, I take a sanding paper (1000 or 2000 grain) and I clean anything metal, both accu and inside the mouse, and voila ! Doing it every 5-6 months.

Yeah, I slammed my mouse over 30 times on the desk and even thrown it 5 meters away on the ground a couple of time back then during that obscure months period, but it's still working (like a charm when not dirty). I still feel sorry for the innocent mouse which I failed to clean. Not having hands to do it itself, I believe that duty is on me. But people have told me "Logitech is crap", if that is true, I must be the luckiest pseudo geek in the world.

The only thing I miss is the lack of clickable middle button. But here in Madagascar, foreing products are 2 to 3 times more expensive than their actual price. So if you talk about a mouse at 20$, it's 40$ or 55$ here. And with a salary of 10$ a week (45$ a month), I need like one or two year to buy something around 55$. That's why I stick with it as long as possible and try to understand what is actually happenning.

CĂ©drice

Resource contributor
The central button, the one that is linked with the wheel, is the one that is used for moving in space with Blender and it is used intensively, it is also the most fragile because the wheel rests on two thin plastic pieces and this is that for all mouse.
I will finally assign another key to this function.

The central button, the one that is linked with the wheel, is the one that is used for moving in space with Blender and it is used intensively, it is also the most fragile because the wheel rests on two thin plastic pieces and this is that for all mouse.
I will finally assign another key to this function.
^^ you're right. That's for sure one reason if not the reason why mine is lasting so long.
In GMax, I defined "H" as shortcut for panning (hand), "V" for rotating view (reVolution, because "R" is for rotating selection)

I did had a mouse with a clickable middle button with pan left/right (also a Logitech), between 2003 and 2007, but I lost the usb wireless dongle on a trip, a pity, learned the hard way that tiny piece is everything. Took me month to get used to keyboard shortcuts.
If that may help, I'm just saying, once you get used to it, it doesn't appear to impede your work, like at all, and the bright side is, actually, that way, I feel more comfortable, not stressing my fingers for continuous hours of work, remembering the cramps I had when using that middle button that much (EDIT : well, having both option is better :D )

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
You do pay for what you get. My main mouse at home is a wired Shogun Bros Commander Ballista Mk 1 (good mouthful that!) which is a full-on gaming mouse and has the quality to match. It cost around ÂŁ70, is now around ten years old and the original non-slip surface is distinctly shiny where it's worn away, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with any of its buttons. Prior to that I had a Microsoft Sidewinder 5 for about eight years which back then cost north of ÂŁ50 and only went out of service because the rubber surface on the wheel wore away. The 'spare' is a wireless Logitech MX Master which cost around ÂŁ45 and I can't really speak for it yet because it hasn't had that much use. I'm not that fond of it because it has a 'hidden' thumb button which is difficult for me to press because of arthritis.

The one I used in the office was a wireless Microsoft Lazer 6000. That also lasted about a decade until the rubber 'tyre' on the wheel wore so thin that it split and fell off. The second one only lasted half that time until the same problem occured. Now I'm at home permanently the Shogun is getting all the abuse and it doesn't seem to care.

Last edited:
How long do you manage to keep a computer mouse alive ?
It's hell, I feel like I'm going to look for one every four months, the wheel always seems to die before everything else....
I'm thinking of buying a full box
In ADE often the wheel won't move the screen around when depressing it. And we think if we press harder it will work (like your car sliding on snow... we grip the steering wheel harder to get more control) hahaha. Ain't workin' lately! I have found that in ADE when the wheel won't work use the arrows on the keyboard. MAYBE this might work in Blender.