• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

LOD and drawing distance

Country
austria
Is there any description available for the relation of LOD and drawing distance in FSX?
What object is best for the lowest LOD level, far far away? A short line, small plane or just a point?

Regards,
Heinrich

Country
unitedstates
Hi Heinrich,

While I work with FS9 - I've spent weeks going through LOD configurations... I believe the recommended LOD's are 100, 40, and 10... It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish... As you know - if all objects are set with the above three LOD's - the smallest objects disappear first - then the larger ones based on some algorithm related to the size of the object on your screen... I don't think there is anyway to lookup the range at which a LOD transition will take place for a given model... The previous settings are fine in many situations but not all... I built a modular fence system in which the size of the objects varied greatly - with the above settings it looked funny - I needed them to all switch at about the same distance irregardless of size to look right... In another instance I needed my custom tree library to vanish at approximately the same rate as autogen trees - which took some doing but I did accomplish it in the end... I don't think it's recommended to use more than three levels - as the LOD's do consume system resources - and - my last one is usually just an empty LOD without any model at all... You can create very specific LOD models in your modeling software - or - you can use Arno's MCX to crunch the LOD...

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I think if you want to use LOD for FSX, you need to have a very complex model around 10,000 or so. Every time you get LOD, you get another draw call. It is very bad for fps.

There is no way to know what is the distance to cause switching between LOD's. It depends on the size of your object and your screen. You have to try that yourself. If it changes so quickly you can change your LOD number later.

Country
unitedstates
Sorry - that's right - FS9 uses LOD's - FSX it's all about Draw Calls...

Thanks Tic...
:)

Regards,
Scott

Country
indonesia
Sorry - that's right - FS9 uses LOD's - FSX it's all about Draw Calls...

Thanks Tic...
:)

Regards,
Scott

means "Draw Calls" ? , I still using LOD's in my FSX, is there any method to apply something like LOD do?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
means "Draw Calls" ? , I still using LOD's in my FSX, is there any method to apply something like LOD do?

LOD is not the best method to get the best fps.
You need to have many polygons, a few thousand to 10,000 to get benefit of it.
If you put LOD for everything, it can be worst than you think.
Every time you have MDL in FSX (exported from Gmax), there will be another draw call. Draw call is the way computer has to load up the texture and draw the texture to the shape that you want such as buildings.
In FS9, draw call is not an issue. Everything using the same texture will have the same draw call.
In FSX, this is not true anymore. I don't know the reason either but since it is not just the texture that count in drawing but other things has effect such as specular power, Z-alpha test, etc which incorporate into the complex of drawing an object as well. Arno said every time the model export there will be an empty X.amin (file of animation, I think) that produce separate drawcall for each export.

You can choose drawcall batching to make the objects using the same material have the same drawcall. You need to pass your mdl through MCX and check the option "drawcall batching" to "on". If you don't do this, every single mdl will get one drawcall regardless they use the same material or not.

If you choose to use drawcall batching, LOD is not working anymore. You need to make up your mind which is the better choice.

Please take a look at this thread:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16317&highlight=drawcall+batching

Last edited:
Country
indonesia
wah, thanks a lot, now I understand.

fusion between LOD and DrawCalls.

vehicles, trees, taxiways, taxilines, taxilights --> DrawCalls

so LOD still can be applied to building.