• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

LODs and visability distances

Country
unitedkingdom
Is it possible to tweak the distances at which different LOD models are displayed, either within gmax or with another program.If not then can somebody please explain to me exactly how FS decides when to switch and why.
Also, I am currently intending to compile my gmax objects with the 2004 game pack using MDL tweaker to set V1 distances and then compile into a library via Library-creator before finally placing into my scenery with scenegenx. Is this currently the best method to create forward compatible frame efficient scenery.
I very much look forward to your answers.....thankyou

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Vincent.

I believe the LOD is determined by the % of the viewport occupied ( not sure if the factor is horizontal or vertical ).

For example, if your screen view is fully occuied vertically by the object, then LOD100 is used. If the object is 1/2 the size of the screen, the sim uses LOD50.

If this is true, you really only need about 3 LODs... maybe LOD100, LOD40 and LOD10. And LOD10 could possibly have a conditional display that will stop showing the object at a defined distance from the viewer.

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
To check the LODs the VSize command is used, so it checks how many pixels a certain amount of meter occupy on the screen. Depending on this value a LOD model is selected. By tweaking these values (in the ASM code) you can influence which model is shown.

If you just want to imitate the v1 value, it might be easier to just add a distance condition to the entire object.