• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Mass edit airport code in flight plans

Forgive me if this was already asked and I didn’t see it

I’m currently manually updating Turkish Airlines to replace LTBA which is now cargo only with the new LTFM which is pax only. I have the LTFM scenery installed and AIFP has the airport info.
Flight plans were installed using AIGAIM program but the latest updated flight plans from them were before the new airport opened. I’ve already updated every other pax airline that goes to LTBA to now go to LTFM, but for Turkish, since it’s their hub and has over 10,000 legs most of which are to/from LTBA, if there is an option in AIFP to change all LTBA to LTFM without having to click on each and every leg manually.

With air traffic increasing and land area to expand existing airports decreasing, more airports are moving locations and building entirely new airports. If this feature is not already available, it would for sure make these changes far easier and faster to edit. I know of at least 3 airports that have changed ICAO codes in the past few years.

As said at the beginning, my apologies if this has already been addressed. I haven’t used AIFP in many years (been with UTLive since I switched to P3Dv4 back in late 2017 and had MyTraffic for FSX before that) so I don’t know a whole lot about the features available, but I do know how to manually edit a single flight plan/leg at a time.

Thanks

Yes, it is an extreme useful feature.
I used it some time ago to reroute 50 percent of VHHH to VHHX, because I like an active VHHX very much.
(There is no realty besides my phantasie on my PC) ;)

What if the airport is not available. for example I'm on fs2004 and i have ENFB (Oslo airport) and need to change it to ENGM but cant as it says ENFB doesn't exist?

gadgets

Resource contributor
The you need to have an addon of some type named ENFB. You can't ""fly" to a non-existent location.

i dont want to fly there any airport the flight plan shows it goes too that doesn't exists i want to change it but didn't know if you could select an option to change all in the flight plan or not you see :)

gadgets

Resource contributor
Jovic, this is your fourth post on what is essentially the same problem. Please try to consolidate these issues and describe what it is you are trying to accomplish.

AIFP cannot route you by selectively omitting airports. A flight plan is a simple list of airports and arrival /departure times.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

Don, an explanation (I believe this is the case).

Oslo Fornebu (ENFB) closed in 1998. Thus I assume he is using a flight plan simulating some year before that, which is scheduling flights into ENFB. However, that airport does not exist in P3D and thus the apparent problem with AIFP. For example, my 1955-1962 flight plans all fly into ENFB. Trying to edit that flight plan in AIFP may result in problems, unless one has my addon ENFB airport loaded into his sim (which he does not need, since he wants to fly into ENGM instead). There are also some minor airports included in my flight plans that do not have an actual airport modeled in the sim - since I am never flying to that airport myself I do not care what happens when the AI tries to land there. I only want the traffic to show up at the major airports I do fly to. All of these airports are listed in the flight plan's airports.txt file, of course.

So airports not in my sim installation are commonly used in my (and others) flight plans.

Hope this helps,

gadgets

Resource contributor
So airports not in my sim installation are commonly used in my (and others) flight plans.
Yes, but are the AI sent to the correct location? - or maybe you don't care.

Be aware that AIFP collects airport positional data from whatever source is available. When you load a file set or traffic file, AIFP saves the positions of all airports used in the flight plans that are not in AIFP's database in ListAirports_Temp.dat. AIFP has no way of knowing whether those positions are correct; it simply accepts the last one it encounters. At compile time, if an airport is not in AIFP's database, AIFP uses whatever position is saved in AirportList_Temp.dat.

So, if you expect to see traffic at a given airport, you would be wise to ensure the true location of the airport has been saved in AIFP's data. Otherwise, you are depending on the creator of the file set or the user who last compiled the traffic file to have specified information that is applicable to YOUR system.

Fortunately, it's easy to see from the Main Panel which airports are in AIFP's data. Airports not in the database are displayed simply as an ICAO code in the Airport List. If AIFP "knows" about the airport, additional information is/can be displayed.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Since the correct lat and lon of that airport is in my airports.txt file they are indeed sent to the proper location. They make a few approaches and then disappear.

So what appears to be happening is that the method the OP was using does not read the ListAirports_Temp.dat file. Luckily Guenther's Reroute Traffic appears to have solved his problem (I think?).

gadgets

Resource contributor
Tom, I was not focused on you airports.txt files - which no doubt define the correct positions. It does seem a little strange, however, that your AI don't seem to land at these airports.

Rather, I was trying to speak generally in making users aware of the purpose and use of AirportList_Temp.dat, a topic that seldom arises but which can be the source of some troubling problems. To wit, I am currently working with one of our better-known colleagues (who shall remain nameless) who apparently relied on his traffic files to specify the position of an airport he was interested in. Turns out, for whatever reason, the two traffic files, derived from the same source originally but compiled at different times, recorded the position of the airport in two widely separated locations (which location was saved to AirportList_temp.dat as each traffic file was decompiled because it wasn't in the database). Not surprisingly (now), decompiling these two traffic files yielded identical flight plans. But, due to the differing airport locations at the time in Airportlist_Temp.dat, the two files had different routing for the AI and were of quite different sizes. Of course, only one generated traffic at the airport position known to FS.

So, once again, I urge users to ensure any add-on airports they care about are defined in AIFPs database.

tgibson

Resource contributor
I agree that defining unknown airports is the best solution.

The reason they don't land at these airports is that there is no airport scenery in FS, which is required for that. You need at least an FS runway defined for that ICAO code for an AI aircraft to touch down. After that you need more than that to avoid them disappearing.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Yes, I'm aware of those minimum requirements. But, I must admit I'm more than a little surprised that those (presumably stock) airports don't meet that requirement. Why would anyone bother to program traffic to such an airport (which, obviously, did occur since the airports appear in the flightplans.txt as well as airports.txt). I'm not being argumentative here, Tom. I simply want to be sure that AIFP is not missing something essential.

Of course, if FS doesn't place the airport where AIFP was "told" it existed, what you are reporting would occur (since AIFP will have routed traffic to where it "thinks" the airport exists but FS would find no airport there.)

tgibson

Resource contributor
These are airports that are not included in FS. There are far more airports than FS includes, and many small airlines flew to those little strips in the past. Think air taxi service in the Amazon rain forest and scheduled bush flights in Alaska. Since I am coding those schedules, I need a plane to leave a major airport and fly to this strip, so the traffic at this major airport is fully coded. I do not care what happens to the plane after it leaves this major airport since I never plan on traveling to this little strip. But I still want to see the plane depart the major airport while I am there. My experience would be incomplete if it didn't.