• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Material with this name already exists

Hi

Since the last update of MSFS regardless of the SDK version I am having this incredible problem.

The object contains different materials (with different names)
But during compilation here is the error message

screen_01.jpg

I've never seen this problem before and can't find any solution ...
Even though it says '0 errors' I just can't open
the project in the editor.

Someone can help me ? Thank you

Thanks for the answer, I think I understood where the problem comes from, I did not specify that it was a conversion of a BGL FSX via MCX, I contacted Arno, he is looking at where the problem.

It's since the last MSFS update, even without updating the SDK there is this problem, until now it was working fine ...

No problem taking the same object from Blender, maybe MSFS doesn't accept conversions anymore?
Or maybe it's just me?

Attachments

• ERROR_VIA_BGL_FSX_CONVERT_GLTF_MCX.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
First off, The SDK version number doesn't mean anything. All the compiler tools exist in the sim and when it's updated, the in-sim tools change. The fspackagetool just calls the in-sim compiler. I place a shortcut to the fspackagetool on my desktop, so I can just drag'n'drop the project XML onto it for compilation.

I'm glad Arno is looking into it. The ultimate solution will be from an MCX update. I do note you specify no shadow, and that is done in MSFS in the Properties. The project opens for me, but the object does not show.

Edit:
I reconverted the problem gltf after taking out the no shadow designation for both materials in MCX. The fences now show just fine. The compiler still throws a warning.

Last edited:
The names of the materials are missing. so you end up having 2 materials without a name in one gltf file. That is why the compiler tells you there is allready a file with the name.
(dont ask me why this is happening) :)

left side is working - right side is not working
1614609734267.png

Last edited:
Oh ! Thank you I had not seen your answers, I thought I would receive an alert :(

First off, The SDK version number doesn't mean anything. All the compiler tools exist in the sim and when it's updated, the in-sim tools change.
The fspackagetool just calls the in-sim compiler. I place a shortcut to the fspackagetool on my desktop, so I can just drag'n'drop the project XML onto it for compilation.

Yes that's what I noticed having my MSFS hard drive unplugged :) and trying to downgrade the SDK ...

I didn't specify anything, it was for the test.(But actually I don't know why the shadow was off)

The names of the materials are missing. so you end up having 2 materials without a name in one gltf file.
That is why the compiler tells you there is allready a file with the name.
(dont ask me why this is happening)

Yes that's the problem, it only happens if the origin of the GTLF
is a BGL / MDL, if the object is taken out of Blender there is no problem
even if afterwards we pass it in MCX.

I hope Arno will find the solution, it must not be easy.

Thank you

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
According to the glTF specification the name is optional, it seems MSFS doesn't use it like that. I'll add an unique name.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have changed the MCX code now, so in the next development release each material has a name assigned.