• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MCX import scale problem

Country
hongkong
Hi, I have a strange problem. When I import a mdl in MCX v1.3, everything works correctly, but when I use any subsequent version, it scales 4 parts incorrectly. Specifically the L&R manifold pressures needles and the L&R rpm needles. The textures and animations are still applied correctly, and the position is correct, it just seems the scale on one of the axis is incorrect.

Below, in MCX v1.3, needles circled.

Screenshot 2021-09-03 14.02.38.png

And below in the latest dev release, needles circled again. (also happens in v1.4)

Screenshot 2021-09-03 14.03.37.png

Any ideas what could be causing this?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Have you explored the results in sim? To me, it looks like a render anomaly, that is not part of the model geometry and will not manifest beyond the MCX view. Sim testing would confirm or dismiss that guess.

Also, there is a "teapot" icon, that controls render parameters, to more closely conform to nuances in the sim versions, you might check to see if it is deselected in one of your version of MCX, causing the different renders.

Country
hongkong
Yes, it exports to the sim as well. It is part of the geometry, and when the relevant part is selected in the object hierarchy, it becomes highlighted. Super strange that it only happens to these parts.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well I am guessing it will be a consequence of enhancing MCX to enable more file types. I think I would try isolating one of those parts, Arno will probably want a sample so he can recreate the issue and I'd also use the isolated part to explore changing what about it that might alleviate the anomaly.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
If I read correctly, stated that have tried using v1.3 and v1.4. Have you tried the latest MCX release?

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Can you attach the file you are importing into MCX, zipped up? If too large, just the isolated panel?

Country
netherlands
I saw a similar issue where 1.4 imported the mdl without issues and 1.5 did not. I noticed that the faulty parts did have scale values less than 1.0 along one or more of the axis in the original mdl file. MCX 1.4 kept these scaling values while 1.5 changed them to 1.0. At least with Blender, the rule is to avoid part scale values other than 1.0 when building FSX/P3D models so it could be a modeling issue.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have seen this bug on a few models, but have not been able to reproduce it yet. It seems to be related to different scales being applied on different axes.

If you have a small sample thst shows it, it might help to fix it.

Country
hongkong
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately the mdl file is from a payware product, so I can't share it. I'm currently using the latest dev release of MCX v1.5.

As mentioned above, I'm guessing that a scale has been applied to the parts during the model creation, so probably not much I can do to change it. I just found it strange that an old version of MCX was able to open the file correctly, and newer ones can't.

One workaround is to use v1.3, but I need to know if there is a way to edit/remove mouse rectangles in this version? I looked in the Object Hierarchy, but nothing appears, so I'm guessing this feature was added in subsequent releases.

Edit: Using dev release 1.5, I've managed to correct the part by modifying the z axis scale using the transformation editor, however this completely messes up the animation. Is this the correct method to modify animated parts?

Country
netherlands
Arno, attached 2 MDL files of a left gear cluster (one exported with 1.4 stable and one exported with 1.5 dev. If you compare the wheel part transformation values it looks like the original wheel part has scale values which are less than 1.0 along one of its axis. Note: You need to open the MDL files with 1.4 to see the difference.

Attachments

• MCX_Wheel_issue.zip
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
  • MCX_wheel_test.png
    MCX_wheel_test.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 61

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Unfortunately the mdl file is from a payware product, so I can't share it.
If you are forthcoming enough to share that information in your first question, you might save us suggesting uploading samples, advising how to decompile other devs work, etc.

Please do try to remember to provide full disclosure next time you seek advice on someone else's intellectual property, thanks.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If you change the scale value, you most likely need to apply the inverse it to the animations that are below the node you scaled.