• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Metalic Paint

Messages
54
Country
us-michigan
Is there a way to create a metalic paint like you would find on a car. I am looking to make a blue metalic flake paint for the trim on my current project.
 
I use Paint Shop Pro...but I think Photoshop has an equivalent....
Play around with adding some "noise" to your specular texture :D
Note that it is very subtle in the pic. That is the key. ;)

2008104121615671sm4.jpg
 
Yep. Roberts on it. I use Noise as well. Works great. Some people like Chuck Jodry, have developed new ways of using bump maps and speculars to interact with some wild effects. For simplicity, Noise works quite good.


Bill
 
Hi,

Could someone please elaborate on "noise"?
(I would like to know how to create a shiny metallic white painted surface, at the moment, but sure could use this info for other purposes.)
Cannot find any entries regarding (bump/specular) texturing from him.
Tks.
 
"Noise" is simply a "filter" in Photoshop. GIMP and PSP have similar filters as well.
 
Thanks Bill, but I knew that. I use Gimp.
But I do not understand where the noise comes in that would make it a shiny surface.
I use a bump texture and a specular color with alpha. It makes it shiny under a certainn sun angle but otherwise it remains mat/dull.
 
Thanks Bill, but I knew that. I use Gimp.
But I do not understand where the noise comes in that would make it a shiny surface.
I use a bump texture and a specular color with alpha. It makes it shiny under a certainn sun angle but otherwise it remains mat/dull.

Make a copy of your base texture and then apply a noise filter to it. That way if you don't like the results, you can then make another copy and try a different noise filter setting.

I use Photoshop CS4 and make extensive use of the "Step Backwards" feature. This allows me to easily step back to just before applying a filter, and then try again. Either method will work though... :D

The "noise filter" will simply add some random "flecks of color" on the base colors, creating the illusion of metal flake in the paint.
 
Thanks, that is exactly what I (try to) do with the bump texture and its alpha channel.
Will try it after the game :), but then, you do not know what I am talking about.
 
For Bill:

When browing for more info and reading an old thread again, my eye fell upon my last reply to you.
To clarify: I was referring to the finals of the World Soccer Championship I think you know nothing about :)
So much for reviving an old thread and setting things straight.
 
Back
Top