• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Model Converter X - Export Object Problem - FSX Library

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Oh, I forgot to mention that the new version did correctly warn me that the 2015 version of the Visual C++ files were not installed, and when I installed them the warning went away.

Country
canada
Thanks guys and Arno in particular. I only use gmax, which I think is a good product, so I'll continue using the older MCX until if and when the new one is changed.

Arno, you have created fantastic tools which I have used every day for over 10 years, and I'd like to thank you for all of it (we don't do that often enough).

Fern

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Fern,

You can still use the new build, as long as you select the old 3ds exporter from the list. I'll keep that one as long as this issue is not solved.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize the (old) choice was there in the list. I can confirm that it does produce 3DS files that GMAX can read.

Country
canada
I must admit I never saw the (old) option there, Arno. My apologies to the forum for that oversight. All working. Thanks!

Country
canada
I am sorry, my last reply didn't show.

I had NOT SEEN the "old" version of 3ds export, and I apologize profusely for that. It works just great.

Because gmax is such a great programme, I'll continue using it (haven't really found anything "better", only "different"), so I hope that this "old" version stays there, ha ha ha ha.

My apologies for both not seeing the (old) note there, and for not having paid attention that my reply didn't work.

By the way, Arno, I'd like to thank you for all the tools you have invented and improved. I have been using them many years, and they are simply amazing. I still think that ObPlacer is, by far, the most usable for locating objects, and I use it for constantly. Thanks very much, indeed.

Fern

Country
canada
Looks like I have to apologise again: didn't see my reply was on page 2, hi hi hi hi hi

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Fern,

No apologies needed. And it's useful for me to know the new 3DS exporter doesn't work well with GMax.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

If you are looking at the 3DS exporter, there is one thing that could make it much easier for me when I load the 3DS file into GMAX. When the scenery object has a night texture, that texture is placed into the Self Illumination slot in the GMAX Material Editor by the exporter. The BGL compiler chokes on this arrangement - _LM textures must be placed into the Ambient slot instead. So when the exporter encounters a night texture, could they be placed into the Ambient slot instead? Thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Isn't that a difference between the FS2004 and FSX gamepack? For FSX they go in self illumination, for FS2004 it is the ambient slot.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I don't know, I've never created an FSX scenery object with night textures. I didn't realize this, thanks. I guess I'll just continue making new materials for FS2004 for now. But if you ever start working on the conversion again, splitting the file format in the drop down box for FS2004 vs FSX 3DS objects would be very handy. :)

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll see if I can use the preferred FS version in MCX to switch the slots.

Country
canada
Hi, Arno
Whatever you do, please leave the OLD 3ds export there. It works like charm. Thanks:)