• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConvertorX and FSX .mdl model origin question

Ronald

Resource contributor
Hello All
I'm currently figuring out how to add / modify camera viewpoints to an existing model (a default C172 trainer with modified panel)
- https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/4776/fsx-cessna-172-trainer/

I've already found some nice tutorials about it over here:
-http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/installing-addon-cameras-in-fsx/
-http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/understanding-cameras-fsx/

I've found the correct ESP SDK page - to be able to decode the camera-definitions:
- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/microsoft-esp/cc526949(v=msdn.10)

I'm now examining the camera-definition-data inside the aircraft.cfg file: (image taken from the FS-SDK Aircraft Configuation page - Datum reference piont location)
camera_viewpoint_coordinates.jpg.jpg

I'm now trying to locate the exact camera's positions in relation to the C172 model- in order to be able to adapt them to my own needs.
viewpoints_v1.jpg

I now only have 3 questions - regarding the 3D display inside the ModelConvertorX tool:
camera_1.jpg
camera_2.jpg
camera_3.jpg

1 - What is the exact meaning of the red lines in the 3D display?
- Are these the 3D models internal X, Y and Z axis?

2 - What is the meaning of the (red) point where the X,Y and Z axis intersect?
- Is this the model's visual 3D center?
- Is it the Center of Gravity (used in flight-dynamics)?
- Option 3,4,n?

3 - In relation to the model's own camera definitions:
Is this point (the red dot) called "the origin" of the 3D model? as mentioned in the ESP-SimObject Container Kit : Aircraft configuration files?
camera_4.jpg

Thanks for your hints and tips.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

1. Yes, the red lines are the axes as used in the MDL file.

2. The red dot is something you added, but where the axes meet is de origin of the axes used in the 3D model. This has nothing to do with the CG or other items as specified in the aircraft.cfg file.

3. Yes, it's the origin of the 3D model.

PS. I see you use the old version 1.3, you better use the development release version 1.4. It can show entries from the aircraft.cfg file as well. Although I am not sure if I added the cameras as well.

Ronald

Resource contributor
Hello Arno,
1. Thanks for the confirmation
2. (that is true - i added the red dot /yellow lines for clarity), Thanks.
3. Thanks again
Now I can continue to figure out where the camera-positions are in relation to the model "origin"

PS. I see you use the old version 1.3, you better use the development release version 1.4. It can show entries from the aircraft.cfg file as well. Although I am not sure if I added the cameras as well.
Regarding the latest development version (date 03-10-2018) something strange happens (see image below)
mcx_old_vrs_new.jpg

I use the same model-import settings at both MCX versions (left image:
- v1.3 allows me to zoom in - right down to the "pixel level of the applied texture" (center image)
- v dev allows me to only zoom in - to the level show in the right picture (right image)
When I want to zoom-in further, the 3D model image simply dis-appears

Q: Is this a display setting of some sort which I need to adjust?

Operating system and hardware background details (below):
hardware_data.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What do you mean with the preview image disappears when you zoom in more? You should be able to zoom in more.

Most likely some part of the model or a CGF point is far away from the model, causing the initial view to be zoomed so far out. In the object information form you can see the bounding box size, which is most likely huge.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello Ronald and Arno...

If I understand Ronald correctly... it doesn't disappear per se... but the model seems to not show because its on the other side of the viewers sight (behind them). More than likely caused by the sensitivity of the zoom function of the mouse wheel. You might want to change the sensitivity of the mouse wheel through either the mouse driver setup or the Windows settings. I had to change my mouse wheel settings to "none" (or disabled) or "1" (number of lines that are scrolled when used). Hopefully, that will help.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
MCX also has a setting that influences how quick it zooms.

Ronald

Resource contributor
What do you mean with the preview image disappears when you zoom in more? You should be able to zoom in more.
Oke here is what i've done so far
1 - Downloaded MCX_v1.3 and MCX -v-dev.
2 - Unzipped and installed them both in separate directories.
3 - Fired up MCX-V1.3, Select [Import], Choose MDL file, accepted the default values, pressed [Ok],
>> Model got imported into MCX.
>> Model was displayed.
4 - Selected [TOP] view (nothing more, not less) and this is the image shown in the 3d preview window
v130_zoomin.jpg

5 - Then fired up MCX-dev, Import, choose MDL file, accepted the default values, pressed [Ok],
>> Model got imported into MCX.
>> Model was displayed
6 - Selected [TOP] view (nothing more, not less) and this is the image shown in the 3d preview window
vdev_zoomin.jpg

REMARKS
A - I am using exactly the same MDL file in both MCX-versions.
B - V-Dev shows the model differently in the TOP-view then V1.3, by default ("straight out of the unzipped installation box", i've altered any setting).

C - In V1.3 the camera-viewpoint "travels" towards the model's center, even through the skin (or applied texture if you like) straight into the fuselage of chosen model.
D - in V-Dev the camera-viewpoint does not even come close enough to see the textures on the skin of the model.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
And does the object information form or the hierarchy editor show a big bounding box for the object in the dev release? Like I said before, most likely there is some CFG point or a part that has a big offset.

F70

Country
netherlands
In the contact points from the Aircraft.cfg on line 4 after -3.90 there is a comma missing.
The contact point is now sky high,if you place the comma then you have a normal view.

Jan

Ronald

Resource contributor
Hello Arno en Jan, the mystery has been solved, by Jan's suggestion

10_bounding_box_afmetingen.jpg
11_aircraft_cfg_error.jpg

There was indeed an error in the aircraft.cfg, which resulted in a huge Z value in the Boundinbox. After adding the comma to the aircraft.cfg everything looked as usual (see images below)

15_alles_werkt_weer_als_vanouds.jpg

Thanks gentleman for the assistance.