• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS: Combined Material as a manually created bitmap

Hello,

I have a lot of 3D buildings I created in Sketchup for XP11 and now that I moved to MSFS I am converting them.

XP11 uses 1 texture sheet so concrete, glass and metal are all together on that 1024x1024.

I am using MCX to convert them and it works very well.

I started using Materialize and then in Photoshop paste each material on the proper channel then select areas with different material to change the hues etc but when it comes to combined materials on 1 texture sheet, this workflow is complex

Then I thought creating the combined material using simple bitmaps. All I needed is to differentiate mat from shiny in a building.

After observing what color hues give mat effects and what hues produce shiny ones, I now use purple for glass or metal and yellow for concrete.

This obviously goes with the logic of the RBG channels vs AO / Roughness / Metal

Then I tried a dark grey and I got a super reflective surface in one case, but not in another. And then I started questioning the relation between color hues and material reflection.

My question is, is there any relation between a solid color and combined material type if we need to create simple bitmaps for our 3D like these?

Attachments

• PBR_MSFS.png
    PBR_MSFS.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Generally, yes there is a correlation of the color of the material ( but it really depends on the shader that is used). Within the tutorial/ article (that I have pointed to several times) has a chart that defines the materials and their corresponding color for the albedo, reflectivity (specular, metalness, and IOR), and microsurface (roughness or smoothness). The article is https://marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/.

Generally, yes there is a correlation of the color of the material ( but it really depends on the shader that is used). Within the tutorial/ article (that I have pointed to several times) has a chart that defines the materials and their corresponding color for the albedo, reflectivity (specular, metalness, and IOR), and microsurface (roughness or smoothness). The article is https://marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/.
I think I missed your link, Thanks!

In fact I was thinking about an idea for a simple MSFS specific tool to create PBR based material in a straight forward user friendly method.

One loads the Albedo texture and instead of playing with complex sliders like Materialize, they select from the drop down the type of surface they like to simulate (presets: concrete, plastic, fabric, glass, chrome etc) and then they simply click on generate and the tool does the math and generates the combined (AO/Roughness/Metal) material texture.

Even better, they select zones on the bitmap and assign to each of the material preset.

Maybe Asobo could have this in their Dev Mode :)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Well, that wouldn't work either since there are many forms of metals to diagnose along with many variables. The color of material is also important. Besides all that, the metals within the chart is only refering to bare metals. Painted metals are handled differently or classified as non-metals.

Last edited: