• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

My first attempt at agn tree... is missing!

Country
unitedstates
So I am attempting to create my very first tree to be used as autogen. I believe I have followed most steps correctly:

1. Created tree in Sketchup
2. Created properly sized texture
3. Imported into MCX and all looks good.
4. Created a mdl and a scenery .bgl file in MCX
4. Created a .dds texture file in MCX
5. Copied bgl into my own scenery folder
6. Copied my .dds file into my own texture folder.
7. Created an ,xml grouping (class) and have a separate class GUID and mdl GUID.
8. Modified the autogendescriptions.spb via AutogenConfiguartionMerger app. adding my .xml.

Whew! Run in P3Dv4 and a no show. :(

Ok, opened P3D Autogen Configuration Editor and sure enough I have a "Validation Error". The error message says:

"Undefined Reference ({788ed8c0-8ff5-4e8f-a3f0-4699c548e3a4})
Grouping: AutogenDescriptions.spb\AutogenGroupings-00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000\SWS_CACTUS"

So it is the GUID?

here is my xml segment I add:

<Groups.Grouping id="{308D6573-5B03-40F0-963D-74A6ECFC0C1E}">
<FriendlyName>SWS_CACTUS</FriendlyName>
<ReferenceEntry>
<TargetGuid>{788ed8c0-8ff5-4e8f-a3f0-4699c548e3a4}</TargetGuid>
<RelativeWeight>95.0000</RelativeWeight>
</ReferenceEntry>
</Groups.Grouping>

Any tidbits would be most helpful...

Clutch

Last edited:
Hi,

Does the autogen configuration editor not give you the location of the validation error? That might help to find out where the mistake is.

I thought the mistake is the blank GUID. Well, I created another Grouping GUID to see if that was the issue. Was not. I renamed the friendly name just to make it easier to find during this test. So I mad changes, ran ACM, opened the AutogenConfigEditor again and the issue is still there but I see something. Look at the screenshot of the vegetation groupings. Under mine, "_SWS_CACTUS" the object name is the mdl GUID but other groupings have a name (see below it for Australia Broadleaf Forest). Could that be the mistake/clue?

VegGroupingError.jpg

How/where do I make that change to add an Object Name?

You don't put the guid in the class directly. You have special model definitions there, can be multiple per season. See the type you expanded below.

But that is just it, I did not put it there... it appeared there? I see how it should look like. How do I change it? Where is that detected? In the xml, Do I need to use the Library Creator? Will continue to look at it but confused, ha!

Hi,

In the "Model Entries" panel you need to add your model. This is also where you can define models per seasons. In this model entry you reference the GUID of your MDL file.

Then in the grouping you need to reference the GUID of the model entry that you made (or multiple ones, so that different trees can be randomly placed).

Thx Arno, I will look at it tonight when I get home. I take it you are talking about Library Creator and not MCX. Again will go through again tonight. :cool:

I'm talking about the autogen config editor from the SDK, not my tools.

Mmmm... but I am planing to add vegetation via your ACM. So what I need is a sample .xml segment to show the proper format to add the groupings, regionalization, weights, etc. The ACM manual does not have an .xml example for this only for objects. P3D SDK does not have any examples either. Would you happen to have an example lying around somewhere? In the meantime I am attempting on creating one from scratch.

Here's is what I have written so far:

<Groups.Grouping id="{F7F5387A-94AF-4194-BD2A-D83F399E5AE4}">
<FriendlyName>_SWS_CACTUS</FriendlyName>
<ReferenceEntry>
<MinScale>0.900</MinScale>
<MaxScale>1.100</MaxScale>
<RelativeWeight>100.0000</RelativeWeight>
<ObjectName>Cactus1</ObjectName>
<SeasonEntry>
</SeasonEntry>
<SeasonEntry>
<Season>FALL</Season>
</SeasonEntry>
<SeasonEntry>
<Season>MILD_WINTER</Season>
</SeasonEntry>
<SeasonEntry>
<Season>HARD_WINTER</Season>
</SeasonEntry>
<SeasonEntry>
<Season>SPRING</Season>
</SeasonEntry>
</ReferenceEntry>
</Groups.Grouping>

But this does not work. I get an error message in ACM's log saying:

1:10:31 PM | Error! Failed to process fileAutogenDescriptions. Trying to continue...
1:10:31 PM | Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'm no expert, but I'd try this:

<Autogen.SeasonalModels>
<ModelEntry id="{F7F5387A-94AF-4194-BD2A-D83F399E5AE4}">
....continue with your ModelEntries
</Autogen.SeasonalModels>

Then you have your groupings:
<Autogen.AutogenGroupings>
<Grouping id="{new GUID here}">
<FriendlyName>Group Name</FriendlyName>
<ReferenceEntry>
<TargetGuid>{F7F5387A-94AF-4194-BD2A-D83F399E5AE4}</TargetGuid>
</ReferenceEntry>
<ReferenceEntry>
...continue with ReferenceEntries
</ReferenceEntry>
</Grouping>
</Autogen.AutogenGroupings>

Thanks so much 'toprob' for jumping in as I can really use any tips, tidbits or ideas. So I reworked it but still not havng the "ha-ha" moment but I see what you are doing asdding a model segment and a groupings segment. I think where I am not correct is my GUIDs. So I had my grouping GUID as:

F7F5387A-94AF-4194-BD2A-D83F399E5AE4

and the model GUID as:

788ed8c0-8ff5-4e8f-a3f0-4699c548e3a4

but looks like you are saying add a third GUID? That the model is a group in itself and each season would be a model?

A little headway... I am at getting a different ACM error message pointing to the model:

"The 'ModelEntry' start tag on line 128 position 5 does not match the end tag of 'Autogen.SeasonalModels'. Line 151, position 5"

Here's what I am working off now:

XML:
<Autogen.SeasonalModels>
            <ModelEntry id="{F7F5387A-94AF-4194-BD2A-D83F399E5AE4}">
            <FriendlyName>_SWS_CACTUS1</FriendlyName>
                <MinScale>0.900</MinScale>
                <MaxScale>1.100</MaxScale>
            <SeasonEntry>
            </SeasonEntry>
            <SeasonEntry>
              <Season>FALL</Season>
            </SeasonEntry>
            <SeasonEntry>
              <Season>MILD_WINTER</Season>
            </SeasonEntry>
            <SeasonEntry>
              <Season>HARD_WINTER</Season>
            </SeasonEntry>
            <SeasonEntry>
              <Season>SPRING</Season>
            </SeasonEntry>
        </Autogen.SeasonalModels>
        <Groups.Grouping>  
            <Grouping id="{ce0a6dd9-b194-48b7-adcc-08961d22a3bb}">
            <ReferenceEntry>
                <TargetGuid>{F7F5387A-94AF-4194-BD2A-D83F399E5AE4}</TargetGuid>
                <RelativeWeight>100.0000</RelativeWeight>
            </ReferenceEntry>  
        </Groups.Grouping>
    </Autogen.AutogenGroupings>

Last edited:
Just an update to anyone watching this... got the xml code corrected. It appears it was a simple ">" out of place, ha! Only took several hours to decode. So I am now seeing the model listed and the groups listed in Autogen Configuration Editor. But no not seeing the actual vegetation in P3Dv4. So that's half the battle. :p

Hi,

Good to hear you have an XML file that Autogen Configuration Editor thinks is valid. That is a good starting point :).

After you used ACM to merge the configurations, do they still appear as valid?

And did you use the right GUID in your AGN files?

Yea, I got it all working. Part of it was just understanding how the autogendescriptions works regarding xml coding. That took some time being my first attempt. 2nd part is coding my xml correctly for ACM to process it correctly and 3rd, correcting structure errors and typos.

Glad to hear you got it working now.

It might be a good idea if I also add an autogendescription sample in the ACM manual. I'll see if I can make one.

Back