• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Nav lights bleeding through structure

Country
us-washington
Is there any way to prevent the light from nav lights from bleeding through aircraft structures? I have winglets, and the light from my nav lights, which are definitely positioned further outboard than the winglets, shows through the winglets, when viewed from the VC. It bugs me. :(

Muchas gracias,
Bigglesworth

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Have you removed the unseen polys on the far side of the winglets for the VC model? You might have done that because they're not seen from the cockpit.

Country
us-washington
No, Tom, those polys are all still there. I did attempt positioning an outward-facing "shielding" poly inside the winglets to see if that would help, but it doesn't. Maybe I need 50 of them, LOL.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I've noticed the same problem and with TrackIR I noticed that at different head positions the lights may or may not bleed through. I think this is a problem in FS that can't be corrected. I remember there being a discussion about this but I can't remember where I saw it.

Country
unitedstates
The lights are only created in the exterior models but can be viewed from the interior model so the developer can just make 1 set. There is an alignment issue when using DX9 or DX10. DX9 lights move position as the camera moves. So one side might be worse than the other side. DX10 has better results but has some downsides since the landing or taxi lights must be on for beacon and strobes to be seen. If the lights are beyond the winglets they should not be seen and i wonder if the developer made the lights in the interior model!!!:yikes:

For a solution you can design smaller effects for those lights.

Country
us-washington
Hi, delivery guy. No, fortunately I did not make the lights in the interior model. Whew! I made a slight adjustment that might have helped (seems to have). I adjusted the "x" position of the lights so that they do not touch the physical light polys I created. In other words, the light is just barely (very barely, like .001) farther outbound than the physical light. They still look good, and the bleed through doesn't seem to be as bad. I hope it's not just my imagination. It's probably not a "real" solution, but I thought I'd share what I did, and what I noticed.

Country
us-arizona
There is a bug in the coding of FSX and P3D that causes / allows the light from 'beacon' to come into the plane (VC). Nothing you can do about it. I hear a couple of teams or companies have found a way around it by using some other method, but I havent heard exactly how.

With NAV lights though, you go into the FX coding with Notepad and turn off the visible-in-vc section(s). You will see in the 'effects' code where the 'visible in' section is and the SDK will show you options for 'visible's.

Bill

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Edit the .fx file and try this:

Code:
[Emitter.0]
Light=0

Country
unitedstates
I never have any issues with any of the lights showing in the VC including the beacon which is located under the fuselage. I think the trick is to make sure you have a solid plane between the light and the VC in the exterior model.