• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS New MSFS2020 video reveals me something...

Country
spain
Ok This screenshot from the recent video shows me that they are working with UDIM tiles (just because there are a lot of materials and each material generates a separate texture), they work with Maya but, im sure we can do this too with blender but I doesn't know how to get this to work...

Anyone knows? I think the MSFS2020 toolkit addon doesn't have the option... but there has to be a way, maybe doing it manually in the .gltf file.

1611934475912.png

Country
unitedstates
Nice catch. I too noticed this in the video but I wasn’t smart enough to realize what you did. I did have the thought though of how the heck were they able to use that many materials and get one texture sheet! I’m still new to all of this and I’ve heard of UDIMs but I don’t know what they are or how to use them.

Country
russia
Yes it is.
I mean, I’m not sure how you deciphered udim usage on the screenshot above. I see just multiple materials/texture sets in the object. And by what you wrote I thought you were confusing Maya with SP.

Country
spain
Substance Painter generates a separate texture by each material. The screenshot shows a UDIM workflow since there are multiple textures for an object

Country
russia
Substance Painter generates a separate texture by each material. The screenshot shows a UDIM workflow since there are multiple textures for an object
I don't see any signs of UDIM usage there. There are just settings and layers of a single chosen material within an object. Or are you judging by the naming convention of the materials?

Country
spain
There isn’t a single material. there at least 10. Each one will generate a texture set when exporting that. Why do you want so many textures if isn’t for UDIM?

Country
austria
If you build a very big object i want that to have the pixel density i want :) udims are looking different in substance painter.

Country
switzerland

Nothing in that screenshot indicates the usage of UDIMs, that's a plain standard Substance project with multiple materials. UDIMs are represented in Substance with a very specific way, with a dedicated icon with 9 small squares on the texture set list.

You are probably being confused by the naming convention used there, that looks *similar* to UDIM ( but not the same, since UDIMs have names like 1001, 1002, etc. ), but that's just because those materials were named as such when exported, maybe because they used some kind of automatic renaming of materials in the 3d editor.

But UDIM is another thing, it means support for UV coordinates outside the 0,0-1,1 space, which must be enabled by the graphic engine, usually in association with texture streaming ( the creation of a "virtual" texture with a huge size ), see here how they work in Unreal Engine, for example:

MSFS 2020 doesn't support UDIM but, you can surely have a single Substance project with as many materials as you want, that's what that screenshot is showing, which is something we have been using in years, even with P3D, even before PBR, so that's not the issue.

UDIM is just more flexible to use in Substance, because you can paint across UDIM ( you can't across multiple texture set ), or you can apply a layer or a filter that would affect several texture at once without duplicating it but, if you really want to use UDIM in MSFS, you surely can, just model using UVs outside 1,1 with each material using its own quadrant, export and use the UDIM workflow in Substance, and create MSFS materials using the Substance UDIM naming convention after they have been exported with an MSFS profile.